Thursday, December 15, 2016

Handmade Happiness in Columbus

Meet Hannah Roberts from Seven Chakras Tea Company...
Hi, I'm Hannah! After recently graduating from Capital University, I founded Seven Chakras Tea Company with my boyfriend, Drew. I am originally from Akron, Ohio, but I now live in Columbus. I am a singer, a pianist, and an audio engineer who loves traveling, dogs, and (of course) tea! I started developing Seven Chakras Tea over the summer, but I officially launched on Etsy this month! This will be my first Avant-Garde show!
I have always enjoyed drinking tea, and, in more recent years, I have come to enjoy the practice of yoga. Both of these things serve as inspiration for Seven Chakras. I love that I can combine a drink that I love with the concept of a journey to a healthier, more peaceful life. 
I decided to start making tea blends because tea is something that is exciting to me. When I drink tea, I look at it as a worldly experience. So many different cultures have their own unique blends and styles of tea that I feel like I'm traveling without ever leaving my couch. I love to research the rituals, meanings, and benefits of tea in different countries. I also enjoy the unique experience that each cup brings, and I love it when I can share that experience with others. 
Through my work, I am trying to promote physical and mental healthy living. My teas are made of genuinely healthy foods, but consuming healthy foods is only one step in the process to living well. My message is to encourage people to make a conscious effort to nourish their minds, bodies, and spirits with healthy foods and positive energy. I want people to choose love and happiness and ultimately find peace. 

Meet Marisa Fox from Terre Mer Designs...
Hi! I'm Marisa and I've been creating jewelry for about a year. This will be my first Avant-Garde show!
I'm influenced greatly by consciousness, nature, the cosmos, and uplifting others. My mom has always been a crafty person, and it seems to have inspired me in my own life.
I discovered my talent when I was trying to fix a piece of jewelry that broke. I decided to try my luck at making my own accessories because I was tired of spending money on pieces that were cheaply made or mass produced.
Inspiration is everywhere. I want my customers to feel that they are wearing something unique and pretty while staying connected to nature. 

Meet Paulo Correia from Sundown Design Studio...
I am originally from Portugal. I am an engineer by training, but I worked as an art teacher in Portugal. So far, I've lived in Indiana and Iowa. I am currently living in Columbus, Ohio, with my wife and two beautiful daughters who are 19 and 13 years old.
I have been making handcrafted items with real pressed dried flowers and leaves for the last 15 years. This will be my first Avant-Garde show!
I use natural flowers and leaves from all kinds of plants you can find in the garden or the wild to create a wide variety of pressed flower arrangements. I also use pressed flowers in photo frames, greeting cards, candles, lampshades, and much more.
I'm inspired to create by nature. It's a pleasure to create something that is one of a kind. Mostly, I make handcrafted items as a hobby even though the free creativity of creating pressed flower compositions is very fulfilling to me. Flowers are indeed the realms of my artwork!

Meet Chad Davis from Chad Davis Design...
Hi, I'm Chad and I was born, raised, and still live in Columbus. I have a beautiful wife, Samantha, who inspires me, critiques me, and is the foundation to my work, everything I do, and everything I hope to achieve. I've been making wooden jewelry for about a year. I'm very new to art shows and this will be my first Avant-Garde show!
Being creative is certainly part of my being - as it is to some extent in everyone. I remember a guest speaker in church when I was young; he gave a sermon titled "Created Creators." The premise was that we were created in the image of God and one of the foundational and fundamental characteristics of God in scripture is that of being a creator. 
My creative process is one with not much definition. Experience is built with experiments that start with a "I bet I could do that." With each project I gain more experience, which allows me to reevaluate old problems and take on new challenges. 
Ultimately, my work is my message. Paintings and sculptures fill museums; the meaning behind each is only speculation or academic anecdote which becomes less clear over time. The only surviving message is that the piece was created. If it was created well it does not matter what the meaning behind the piece was; we stand in awe of the creativity and skill. We value things more when we know it was crafted by a person who cared about it. 

Meet Nicole Momsen from Sign Design by Nicole...
My name is Nicole and I am currently a substitute teacher for Dublin City Schools and currently pursuing a full-time elementary school teacher position. I live with my fiancĂ©, Brad, and our dog, Tucker. I love to draw and bake in my free time and now am working on my sign business, Sign Design by Nicole. 
I have been into all kinds of different crafting activities since I was a little girl, but it wasn't until my friends and family saw the signs I was making that I was encouraged to create a business selling my signs. 
I have seen so many cool and interesting signs on Pinterest, at weddings, in stores, and more, and I just thought to myself, "I can do that!" I am also a very particular person, so I can hardly ever find exactly what I am envisioning for a decent price, so I love to create my own custom designs. I also like to take my customer's ideas and bring them to life as custom designs.
The message behind my work is to love what you do. I really put passion into my work and I hope that people see that I love what I do. I also hope that customers will look at their signs and love them as much as I do.

Meet Sarah and Maria from L is for Leader...
Sarah and Maria founded L is for Leader, LLC in April, 2015. Currently, we have one published book, L is for Leader, and other books in the works. We have designed and created a unique Learning to Lead Kit and most recently created a playful Leader's Cape.
Our mission is to create products that make young girls feel inspired, encouraged, and unstoppable! We take pride in thoughtful, innovative ideas and products that help young girls self identify as leaders.
We were inspired to found L is for Leader by Sarah's daughter, Adeline. Sarah wanted Adeline to have the chance to discover and develop her innate leadership skills. We want to reach all young girls during their years of socialization to promote culture change and growth. 
The message behind our work is to teach young girls to be bold, smart, and confident. We want young girls to believe they all have the capacity to lead and each girl can use her unique skills and traits to be an effective and transformational leader. American girls will not grow up to be princesses, but they can certainly be politicians, producers, publishers, or philanthropists!


2016 Columbus Winter Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, December 17th, 2016 
10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd.
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:


No comments:

Post a Comment