Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Making Our Way to Hilliard!

Meet Aaron Behnk from Aaron Behnk Creations...
I’m a diverse artist who is constantly creating in new ways, experimenting with media, and exploring new techniques. Curiosity, and the thrill I get from discovery are my driving forces and am inspired by adventure and resourcefulness. I currently reside in German Village, Columbus, Ohio with my wife and two cats, where I practice illustration, graphic design, and paper making in my home studio. My educational background is from Columbus College of Art and Design in illustration, which informs my style of design, and awareness of commercially applied arts as tools in branding, marketing, communication, and most importantly to inspire people.
My works of handmade paper are comprised mainly of raw cotton and abaca fibers, as well as recycled scraps of this blend, and archival fine art papers. Embellishments to the handmade paper include florals, other plant material, and paper collage. Sometimes I will also include found objects, plant material, or up-cycled vintage print material into the covers, end-pages, and in some cases even the pages themselves. Typically I will varnish the cover and end-pages with an acrylic glaze in order to protect the pages from any un-archival material, and to enhance the durability of the covers. I create books of all sizes from pocket journals to large guest-book size, as well as cards, stationery, and offer the paper itself. My plain pages are an archival, textured cotton/abaca blend and are treated with a cellulose emulating alkylketene dimer sizing which controls the absorbency of the paper and gives is crispness and durability. The pain paper works well with both wet and dry media, and is moderately textured. Some books are geared more toward scrapbooking and contain more texture and additives within the pages.

I’m obsessed with the aesthetic of handmade paper.  I’ve also fallen in love with the process and end result that can provide me and others material with which to create further.
My website is aaron-behnk-creations.com where you can find links to my social media, Etsy shop, view my process of art making, and find examples of my work that includes illustration, fine art, paper making, and bookbinding.

Meet Collene Miller from Purdy Lil' Surimi's Alpaca Farm...
My name is Collene Miller.  My husband, Tom, and I started an alpaca farm in Huber Heights, OH, in Dec, 2011.  We purchased a starter herd of four females and have seen the births of three males bringing our herd size to seven. Prior to starting our farm, we homeschooled our three children.  That experience has been very useful with our farm because we often have visitors at the farm and we are privileged to able to teach people about alpacas and to share these amazing animals with others.

Tom and I have had our alpaca farm for 5 years now. I have been crocheting since I was a child.  I wrote one children’s book which was a process that took about 2 years to complete.

What inspires me.. I was inspired to write my children’s book, Saving Gideon, An Alpaca Story, after I witnessed the events of the first 24 hours of one baby alpaca’s life.  He should not have survived but he received a miracle.  The story presented itself and I believed that it had to be told.
After we started our alpaca farm and farm store I was able to bring my crochet skills back to life.  I love having my pieces on my table and seeing the response from a customer who loves my work.

A favorite family member taught me to crochet when I was a little girl.  I could not wait to visit her.  I always came home with a new stitch or pattern to practice.  I still think of her when I finish a piece that I am particularly proud of.

My creative process.. I am a very tactile person.  I am one of those who has to touch everything.  After starting our farm I fell in love with the feeling of alpaca.  The yarn glides with ease through my fingers and just feels so good.  The colors are stunning.  I enjoy searching patterns and trying them with the alpaca yarn.  The 80” chevron wrap that I crocheted was inspired by the beautiful colors of alpaca yarn that I had and the hint of sparkle in that yarn.  Tom and I worked together to find the right color combination and placement for this piece. I have been told that this piece is “absolutely stunning!"
My five year goal.. I look forward to teaching others how to crochet and to read patterns.  I do not want to see the craft disappear. Skills like crocheting, knitting, spinning and weaving could be lost if those who can do them do not pass their skill on to the next generation.  I hope to bring in other crafters who can also teach their craft.  I am also considering hosting “alpaca camps” for kids in the summer where they could learn about caring for the animals and the fleece that comes from the alpacas.

The message behind my work.. My hope is that people are blessed when they visit our farm and experience our alpacas.        

Meet Deb Kovacs-Sturdevant from Deborah K Creations...
I hail from Toledo, Ohio, and moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, 12 years ago, when I married a Cincinnatian. I am fortunate to have married a wonderful man and my best friend.

Although I still work full-time and have over 35 years’ experience in the healthcare field, I've always considered my true vocation as being an artist. I took 12 years of art classes at the Toledo Museum of Art during my childhood and continued my artistic pursuits and studies as I matured.
I am passionate about color and design. I studied both fashion and interior design in college, along with getting my healthcare degrees and certifications. I have run my own clothing design and alterations business since I was 16 years old but have had many and varied artistic interests and pursuits during my lifetime. From fiber artist, interior designer, clothing and wearable art designer, liturgical vestment and parament designer, to fabricating and designing polymer clay jewelry (my current love). Two years ago, I developed this interest in working with polymer clay. With my strong interest in fashion and accessories, it seemed a natural progression that I would try my hand at designing jewelry.

Additionally, I am a voracious reader, cookbook collector and an accomplished gourmet cook. I have an interest in all things culinary. I advocate preservation of heritage and wrote a family cookbook to preserve my family food memories.
My inspirations are, first and foremost, everything I see, feel and experience. I have a passion for color and design. Sometimes thoughts and planning of my next creation keep me awake at night!

I use color and design from numerous sources as inspirations for my necklaces. For example, I may see a piece of artwork, a piece of fabric, or an article of clothing that inspires my design. I transfer that inspiration into polymer clay. I use various polymer clay techniques including texturizing, caning, metalizing, stamping, embossing, painting and molding, to name a few. I also incorporate glass beads, gemstones and Swarovski crystals into many of my designs. My necklaces are all unique and the owners can boast of having a one of a kind piece of polymer clay art jewelry.

Crafting and creating art came naturally to me. As a child, I was always involved in art projects. As an adult, I spend every spare moment I can being involved in creative pursuits.
I would describe my creative process as fluid and natural, but sometimes instantaneous. I am a visual thinker and when designs pop into my head I then sketch those images so that I can continue to develop my design. At other times, I create as I go. For example, I add some clay here or color there and suddenly my design comes to life.

My five year goal.. I would like being an artist to be my full-time retirement career. The thought of leaving my art behind as part of my legacy appeals to me. The message behind my work is don't be afraid of color and design and dare to accessorize your wardrobe with a unique piece of wearable art.

View more of our work at: www.etsy.com/shop/DeborahKCreations

Meet Tonda Nelson from 2 Sweet T's...
2 Sweet T's, a mother/daughter in-house baking establishment, is excited to be participating in their first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show.

Chef Tink, a junior in the Culinary Arts program at Eastland Career Ctr., established a cookie business, J's Sweet Treats, late 2014.  And after Chef Tonda's employment was abolished in 2015, the two joined forces to form, the gourmet cookie and cupcake sensation, 2 Sweet T's!
Having been in business since the beginning of 2016, they anticipate expanding and adding additional creations to their menu in the years to come.
2 Sweet T's confections have received rave reviews, such as better tasting selections than Cheryl's Cookies, as well as the infamous Magnolia Bakery in NY. They are proud to share their delicious desserts at this venue, and look forward to meeting you.

For more information, go to their website at www.2SweetTs.biz

2016 Columbus Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, March 5, 2016
 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment