Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Columbus Creations

Meet Wolfgang Parker from Crime Cats...
Crime Cats is a self-published mystery chapter book series recommended for readers aged eight to 12. The books follow eight-year-old Columbus superhero Jonas Shurmann as he and his partners, cat detectives CatBob and Neil Higgins, work together to solve mysteries around their neighborhood. The first volume, Crime Cats: Missing, won the Silver Medal for Preteen Mystery in the 2016 Literary Classics Book Awards.
I have been drawing since I could hold a crayon, but writing came later in life. I've only been telling stories for ten years. I wrote the first Crime Cats book for my 19 nieces and nephews as a holiday gift. Book production takes six to eight months for me. I plan the story, write it, work with my editor, illustrate it, and then lay out the file that the books will be printed from. It's pretty involved.
I hope to build a readership from Crime Cats that encompasses all of Ohio. The message behind my work is to teach children and adults the value of empathy, encourage them to recognize their self-worth, and to be happy with what they have.

Meet Nettie Pyne from Pyne Pysanky...
Hi! I'm Nettie and my full time job is at Nationwide Children's Hospital in the Research Institute. I am a research associate and the lab I work in is developing gene therapy treatments for muscular dystrophy. I am also a black belt in Taekwondo and spend time training and instructing the children's classes. In what little free time I have left, I make pysanky!
Pysanka is an ancient Ukrainian art form that uses wax-resistant methods to create intricate designs on eggshells. I first learned about Pysanka in a high school fiber arts class. We did a two week unit on Pysanka, and I completely fell in love with it. My parents got me a beginners kit for Christmas, and I've never looked back!
A lot of things inspire me to create: seeing interesting patterns out and about what I want to try to re-create on an egg, and especially the amazing work of other egg artists. I also love to work on eggs when I'm stressed. I find it soothing and meditative, it always helps me relax!
I think the overall message behind my work is that you can find great beauty in places you wouldn't normally expect. Each egg also contains significant symbolism: Every color, pattern, curl, or animal design can mean something. So whenever I make one as a gift, or am designing custom orders, I try to make an egg that symbolizes how I see that person, or what wishes and blessings I want to offer them.

Meet Chrissy Bell from The Pink Woobie...
I am Chrissy Joy Bell from Columbus, Ohio, where I live with my bearded husband, awesome cat Popeye, and beautiful snake Scarlet. We moved here from rural Northeastern Pennsylvania in 2005 and are proud to call central Ohio our home.
I have always been interested in arts and crafts, starting with photography at age seven. Fiber arts became my medium of choice in 2007 when I became sick and hospitalized with pneumonia. At this time, I started what became a long journey back to health, as I suffer from chronic illness, and I feel this creative outlet helped me. 
A new project usually starts as a spark of an idea, one that often comes from necessity or desire. Once I have that idea in my head, it is hard to accomplish anything else until I at least have a sketch or design down. Sometimes I get it right on the first try and other times it takes weeks of prototypes and trying new techniques. Sharing my finished projects is my favorite part of the process!
The messages behind my work are fun, love, and the idea that you can do whatever you want to do! Right from the beginning I enjoyed using bright colors and patterns. I just really want people who receive or purchase my handmade hats and scarves to feel wrapped in love when they wear them. There can never be too much love in this world and I add my own love in each and every piece I create. 

Meet Candice Hall from Craft Wick Candles...
I'm Candice and my husband and I are behind Craft Wick Candles. We love to work with our hands and admire our handmade products. We also love to try different craft beers and bourbons, which is what really inspired us to start repurposing bottles. We've been doing this for about four years now!

I started making these originally for gifts and they were such a hit that my husband decided we should expand. Seeing customers reactions really motivated both of us, they are our inspiration!
The message behind our work is live life and take the time to enjoy it! Light a candle, read a book, drink with friends, and be happy and true to yourself!

Meet Carolyn Shisler from Jewelry by Carolyn...
Hi, I'm Carolyn! I absolutely love what I create and take pride in the design and quality of each piece that someone will be wearing. 
I began my journey 13 years ago when a friend invited me to take a class with her to weave sterling rings into chain maille patterns. I got hooked!
I love creating the possibilities. Inspiration comes from my fascination for natural gemstones and designing them with chain maille as as favorite.
Jewelry by Carolyn pieces are handcrafted, constantly evolving and fresh, created with a variety of quality materials and applying a variety of jewelry-making techniques. The message behind my work is natural elegance.  



2016 Columbus Winter Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, December 17th, 2016 
10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd.
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:



No comments:

Post a Comment