Monday, February 11, 2013

The Countdown Continues 2 of 5!

Meet the Ladies from Chimera Sisters...

We are three sisters from a very close-knit family who have very different day jobs but a common bond of appreciating creativity in ourselves and others. A common thread (no pun intended) through our individual hobbies is a desire to create artistic items that are useful as well as beautiful.
Collectively, we have at least 30 years of experience in crafting – mostly for gifts to give to others on holidays and birthdays – and have only recently considered selling our work.
This is our first arts/crafts show of any kind, ever!  And we are very excited to make new friends and share our enthusiasm for our hobbies with others.
We get our creativity from restlessness... a desire to make one’s mark on the world, an innate human drive to mold nothing into something.
No one trigger that can really be identified that made us start our business; it just sort of happened gradually for each of us, after dabbling in all sorts of arts and crafts: drawing, sculpting, painting, jewelry-making, sewing, photography, crocheting, mosaic, etc.
Our favorite part of doing this is the excitement to see what the rest of the world thinks about something we love doing!
Our creative process would best be described as mysterious, spontaneous, and indescribable.
We really love the endless variety in what we do. We don’t get bored because no handbag, no painting, no necklace, no vase is ever exactly the same as the last you created.
We believe in art that is reasonably priced that everyone can own and enjoy!  We want you to really like an item we make because it’s useful and lovely to YOU.

Meet Melissa Harvey from Mel's 'Zels...
My name is Melissa, and I'm the owner of Mel's 'Zels, a start up gourmet pretzel concept. I create one-of-a-kind hand dipped pretzels, using quality and fresh ingredients. I graduated with a Marketing degree from The Ohio State University in 2011, and have always enjoyed creating new delicious desserts. What started as a hobby and has turned into a passion that I’m excited to share with others!
This will be my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. I’m looking forward to meeting new people and admiring all of the talented vendors!
I started my business because I have an 8-5 job, and I wanted to find a fun hobby to keep me busy after work.  Although a “professional hobby test” recommended rock collecting (really?) for me, I figured pretzel designing was much more enjoyable! :)
I enjoy the freedom and creativity that starting my own business creates. I like testing out new product and packaging ideas and learning from my failures and successes.

I’m always thinking of new flavor ideas. I try to experiment with my creations – sometimes they work, and sometimes they don’t. It’s always a learning process until I get it just right.
The  message behind my work is redesign birthdays, holidays, weddings, graduation parties, and more with Mel’s ‘Zels. They are delicious!

Meet Kathy Maur from Gallifrey Farm Goatmilk Soaps...
I am a wife, mom to five great kids, grandmother, goat herder, farmer and soapmaker. We raise Nigerian Dwarf Dairy goats, egg laying chickens, fruits and vegetables. We moved to our farm in Marion Ohio about 16 years ago and have had dairy goats for about 13 years.
My husband is my biggest source of inspiration and creativity. We had been raising the dairy goats originally as a 4H project with our children and made cheese and fudge with the goat milk. I was complaining about the condition of my severely dry chapped hands one day when it was suggested to me to make soap out of the milk. 
As I began to do research into this area, I was so surprised to learn how commercial soaps are mostly detergents and synthetics that clean your skin but do nothing to heal or moisturize. Because of that, I developed my own combination of fresh goat milk, butters and oils and have never looked back. My family and friends started using it and as I received more and more requests, I realized I could make a business with the soaps. Not to mention, I could keep raising the little goats that I've come to love.

After researching all of the various combinations of butters and oils and settling on my own recipe, I found that I loved the individual molds for the soaps much more. These were more fun for me than cutting them from large blocks. It requires much more time and materials, but I have a greater pride and satisfaction in my finished product. As my business grew, I was able to buy more molds so that now I can put each scent into it's own shape.
The thing I enjoy most about what I do is knowing exactly what goes into my soaps and choosing the shape of the molds to coordinate with the scent. This is always a lot of fun. Of course getting return customers is the best satisfaction!
The message behind my work is that it’s possible to get clean without drying your skin. And it's fun to use a soap that cleans as good as it moisturizes and smells!
                                                     

2013 Columbus February Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, February 16th 2013, 11:00am-5:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:



                                 



No comments:

Post a Comment