Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cross Country Artists and Crafters!

Meet Lisa Saville and Dave Morgan from Tweedle Swamp Pottery...
Dave and I are married and live in the country near Sabina, Ohio. We have always been curious and enjoy creating and repurposing around our home. We both took art classes in college: Dave at Miami University and me at the Ohio State University. Early in our relationship, about 10 years ago we were looking for a creative outlet and took a pottery class together. We were hooked. After being gifted a second (or third) hand potters wheel and kiln, we set up a studio at our home and Tweedle Swamp Pottery was born. 
After several years of work and study, we started looking for outlets to share our creations. We have attended several festivals and art shows in southern Ohio and Kentucky. Currently Tweedle Swamp Pottery is featured in shops in Hillsboro, Ohio and Wilmington, Ohio. 

Clearly the inspiration for our work is in nature and observing our surroundings. We often use plant material, leaves, leather and metal to imprint and add dimension to pieces. We also look to each other for creativity and inspiration, bouncing ideas off one another. All pieces are one-of-a-kind, and food safe glazes are used on functional pieces. 





Meet Sara from Lilly's Soap Kitchen...
We are a mother daughter business that makes vegan soaps, skincare and bath products. We started working out of our home and have grown so much that we were able to open a store in December 2012. Our shop, or artisan market, is located in historic fletcher place in downtown Indy and carries only handmade items from local artists. Our market is the perfect place to find unique gifts and home decor.
 
We have been making soap for only a year. We have been so successful that we were able to quit our "regular jobs" and work full time on the soap business. We have only done Indiana-based shows but we are excited to expand. We did a Christmas show in Louisville and are now doing shows in Ohio. We hope that our Ohio shows are as successful as our Indiana shows.
 
My mother is the creative genius. She has done everything from home decorating, to baking to sewing. She is always trying new techniques and coming up with creative ways to make our products even more adorable.
We have always been crafty and come from a very creative family. One year, we did a homemade Christmas in which all of our decorations and Christmas tree ornaments were all handmade. It was our favorite Christmas! It was only natural for us to turn a craft hobby into a business.
 
Why we went into business.. corporate America was growing old! We have always had the dream of owning our own business.  It wasn't until recently that we got into living organically. Having sensitive skin my entire life, it was difficult to find products I could use. After much research, we realized that good products didn't have to come from department stores and cost an arm and a leg. Good products are made with good ingredients and we could never find what we were looking for. So, we decided to make our own.  We only use grade A, unrefinded ingredients in our products because that's what I want to use on my skin. I have become the lab rat and I try every one of our products. I know if it will work on my skin, it will work on anyone's skin.
We are always thinking of new ideas for new products and ways to recreate old products.  Brainstorming has become a daily activity; whether its in the car, at the grocery store or at home watching tv.
 
The best thing about creating handmade items is listening to our customers.  Feedback from our customers is what keeps us in business. Good or bad, we love to hear it!

Our purpose is to offer consumers a healthy and non-toxic alternative to body care. We strive to produce products that are of the highest quality by abstaining from using harsh chemicals, dyes, and animal products. From mixing our ingredients, to tying each bow, every step in our process is completed with the same loving care.

Meet Lauren Butt from Cincinnati Wreaths...
Hi! My name is Lauren Butt and I am the Designer and Founder of CincinnatiWreaths.com. I currently live in Cincinnati with my crazy bullmastiff dog “Huey”, and I am a sales rep during the day. My background includes graduating from the University of Cincinnati with a degree in Fashion Design from the College of Design, Art, Architecture, and Planning (DAAP).  

I have always loved creating things, doing art, interior decorating, etc. and a few years ago, I began making wreaths. At first, I mainly put them on my own doors, and eventually started giving them to friends/family for gifts.  Everyone really enjoyed them and kept telling me how much their guests just loved them! After some encouragement, and several people mentioning that I should try and sell them, here I am!! Things are going very well and with my custom ordering I can make any idea or occasion come to life! My wreaths are unique, fun, and one-of-a-kind that will brighten up any interior or exterior!

I have been doing this for 3 years and last year I started my website www.cincinnatiwreaths.com. This site has been great for out of town customers to view my work.
My creativity comes from my mother who was always interested in art and attended DAAP as well.  She focused primarily on fine arts and art history, but in her later years, she became interested in environmental design due to her love of the outdoors and flowers. She has always encouraged me to do what I love and be passionate about it.

I got into this hobby by chance when I needed a wreath for my front door and I couldn’t find any that I liked. In addition, I wanted a different one for each season. When I couldn’t find the right one, I started to create it! So that’s why I make wreaths for every holiday, occasion, or season!

My creative process take on several avenues such as a seeing a great, fun ribbon or finding a beautiful ornament, or even seeing a toy and thinking how to incorporate that onto a wreath. 
I enjoy being able to go thru the creative process and have something unique and beautiful at the end. In addition, my work is a great way to welcome guests to your home or brighten up any interior!

The message behind my work is: Unique, Fun, One-of-a-Kind wreaths that will be sure to make your guests say Wow!

Meet Kristy from Daisy Mae Designs/The Crafty Hound...
My name is Kristy and I'm a Chicago transplant, living in Columbus, enjoying life with my husband and 3-year-old son. Daisy Mae Designs is named for our sweet, lazy beagle, Daisy Mae. The company started in 2008.

My passion is rescuing forgotten atlases from life in a dark, lonely basement or attic. I've had a bit of a love affair with maps since I was a wee one. I remember many long road trips with my parents, when I'd ask them to hand over the atlas to the backseat and I'd be occupied for hours, trying to figure out where we were and where we were going.

I got started in my business because creativity, while present in my day job, was lacking a bit in my life. I saw this as an opportunity to be creative on my own terms. 
One of the great benefits of this work is learning about new places everyday, based on requests from clients. Whether it's seeking out a remote mountain village in the Alps for a necklace or a cozy beach town in California for a bookmark, this exercise has broadened my understanding of all those important places that my clients hold close to their hearts. 


                                                     

2013 Columbus February Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, February 16th 2013, 11:00am-5:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment