Thursday, November 8, 2012

Eclectic Artists in Columbus

Meet Nicole Coleman-Hummler from Snapped by Nicole...
I am a Columbus Native. I graduated from Ohio State with a Bachelor's in Natural Resources and a minor in Film Photography. I am currently pursuing a Digital photography and Business Associate's from Columbus State. I enjoy photographing nature and animals, as well as portraits and events. I have a dog, a cat, and two Northern Leopard Frogs. I have been married for a little over 2 years. 

I have been doing photography for over 7 years in some capacity. I took my first film class as a senior in high school taking courses at OSU, in 2005. I get my inspiration from nature. I see beautiful patterns and colors. I typically do not have to set up any of the non-human shots. 
How I got started selling my craft... I saw a photographer at a craft show in 2006 and thought "hey, I could do this." People kept asking for my pieces or if I could make it into this or that or have something for Christmas. I figured that meant that I could possibly sell my work. And I can!

My creative process... I look at a item, such as a block of wood, and decide which image would best in those dimensions and if it would transfer well with the acrylic method I use. I also look at elements from individual images to see if they will translate to a necklace pendant or not. Knowing that someone likes it enough to buy it. I strive to create items that people actually want.
The message behind my work is that I believe that if enough people appreciate nature, they may begin to tell themselves or accept messages that nature is worth preserving. 

Meet Tami Bowen from Cupcake Studio...
I have good, old-fashioned memories of making pie pigtails in Grandma’s kitchen, milking cows with Grandpa and spending summers at the sewing machine with my 4-H projects.  County fairs, farm fields, church suppers and good people … I am beyond blessed to live with my happy little family in the same county that I was born & raised in.

Cupcake Studio began several years ago as a place to create from the heart.  Handmade items are created by me, in my farmhouse studio (a.k.a. kitchen table.) I especially enjoy making handmade greeting cards, felted flower pins, vintage cupcake stands, resin jewelry and anything that strikes my fancy…all with love and a vintage spin.
I collect old buttons & books, lipstick, magazines and photos of my kid, so I guess my interests are pretty varied…but,  give me a nice, Autumn day and a good country barn sale and I’m in Heaven!

I’m so tickled to be a part of the Avant-Garde Fall Craft event.  Can’t wait to see you there!

Blog:  cupcakestudio.blogspot.com
Etsy:  cupcakestudio.etsy.com

Meet Michele Jakubowski from mjaxwax...
My name is Michele Jakubowski and I’ve lived in the Columbus area for 15 years. I started mjaxwax this fall. What started as an idea for creating holiday gifts, quickly turned into a small business. This will be my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. From checking out the blog, I’m really looking forward to meeting the other vendors!

For years my creative outlet was writing children’s books. I recently started a full-time job and my writing time was severely cut into. I’ve never been particularly crafty but I was looking for an outlet that didn’t require the same type of focus as writing.
To me, business is just another form of creativity. I’ve always enjoyed logo design, marketing and social media. As my ideas for mjaxwax grew, so did my ideas for promoting it.

I don’t have a creative process, per se, but I do tend to get my best ideas in the shower or as I’m falling asleep.


My favorite part of the entire process, is that I love the feeling of a finished product!

Check out these featured vendors at the 2012 Columbus Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. This eclectic show will feature a large selection of the area's most talented artisans and crafters. A portion of the show's proceeds will be donated to Columbus Ohio's Pet's Without Parents a local non-profit, no-kill, all-breed shelter for dogs and cats.

2012 Columbus Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, November 18, 2012, 1:30pm-6:30pm
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral
555 N. High St 
Columbus, OH 43215
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:




No comments:

Post a Comment