Saturday, November 17, 2012

Join us Tomorrow for the Cbus Fall Show!


Meet Susan Voit from Bespangles...
My interest in jewelry started seven years ago when I took a class at a local bead shop. Learning is the key word. It is so much fun to continue to learn how to make beautiful things that I won't stop until I drop.  

Since retirement, my hobby changed to a business called Bespangles. My favorite thing to make is necklaces. All of mine are different as I never make the same thing twice.  
I also like to make children's jewelry, magnetic bracelets and unusual bracelets of different styles.  Bead weaving is also a continuous learning experience which I enjoy and incorporate into my designs.  

The message behind my work is: "A woman without jewelry is like a night without stars!"


Meet Devon & Jeff Johnson from Backyard Living...
Our business is called Backyard Living and although we just started selling this summer at local festivals, my husband Jeff has been building things forever. You may say he has it in his blood!

Jeff's grandpa's on both sides were builders. They taught him many things about tools and were also builders of birdhouses which is where Backyard Living began. Jeff filled our basement up all winter with birdhouses, and I told him he needed start selling some or we would run out of room! He has had a very successful first year going to the North Market Artisan Sundays twice a month, Worthington Plant Festival, Food Truck Festival, Independents' Fest, and Yellow Springs Street Fair.
Jeff has expanded his business from only having birdhouses to now making end tables out of logs that were in a firewood pile, jewelry display frames, floating wine holders, and a few other items. He uses a lot of barn wood from my Dad's 100 year old barn he is no longer using, or reclaimed wood he finds from pallets. He also goes to the Amish to get some fresh white oak and cedar that hasn't even been cured.  
Of course Jeff's dream is to go far and own a store front some day, but I am happy with where we are now getting in to local fesitvals and giving people local items that are unique.  

Meet Bethany Mitchell from Ladybug Designs...
I'm a single mom to a wonderful 4-year old little girl! I got into creating handmade items as a way to relieve the stress of everyday life and distract myself for a few hours.  Once I really got into it, I realized very quickly that not only did I love creating things, those around me began asking for me to create things for them and thus Ladybug Designs was born! I have been creating for about 18 months now. The Columbus Show will be my first Avant-Garde show and I'm incredibly excited!!

I get my creativity from the necessity of life. I will often look around my home and think, I want a throw pillow here or a wreath on that door and the idea explodes from there. Pinterest has become my go-to for inspiration as well, that site is an absolute gift to the world of designers and crafters!

I first got into the craft hobby while traveling for work in Salt Lake City. I met a woman there that taught me how to make paracord bracelets.  I was fascinated by what I could create with my own hands.

My friends and family were constantly asking where I bought a skirt, bracelet, pillow, wreath, etc. When they realized that all of these items were coming from my own two hands, starting the business was a necessity to fulfill the wants of those around me.

My creative process is simple. Much like the movie line from Field of Dreams: "build it and they will come", I think "make it and they will buy." I can be inspired by nearly anything...once I'm inspired I HAVE to act creatively on it.

The thing I enjoy most about creating unique items is just that: they are unique items. I love making and selling paracord items the most because I love hearing "I've never seen something like this before!"

My message is simply that life is more beautiful with a handmade item in it! I love store bought items as much as the next person but a handmade item carries meaning with it that a store bought item never will.


Meet Adam Levene from Adam Levene Illustrations...
My name is Adam Levene, I graduated from the Columbus College of Art and Design. After I graduated from school, I worked for a special effects company designing characters, props, and environments for the entertainment and retail industries. I have been producing my own artwork seriously for about 7 years.
This is my first Avant-Garde Show and I am looking forward to it. 
gain most of inspiration from good observations; I am also keen on free writing and word association in developing ideas. I have wanted to do my own thing for a while now, I think what motivates me mostly is seeing the excitement in someone's face when they purchase a piece by me.

I would consider my work classically styled with dark and cynical undertones. My creative process usually starts with text. I either free write or have some words that I try and connect. I then begin with small sketches developing composition and value. After that, I create a tighter sketch of one I like. I will gather reference and do any more research if necessary and then I start constructing my image with a tighter drawing. After the drawing, I start layering in 
paint and color. 

My work has a variety of different meanings and I like to produce work with something in mind, however it is fun to allow others to interpret my work. Thank you and you can view my work at http://www.adamleveneillustration.com.

Check out these featured vendors at the 2012 Columbus Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. This eclectic show will feature a large selection of the area's most talented artisans and crafters. A portion of the show's proceeds will be donated to Columbus Ohio's Pet's Without Parents a local non-profit, no-kill, all-breed shelter for dogs and cats.

2012 Columbus Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, November 18, 2012, 1:30pm-6:30pm
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral
555 N. High St 
Columbus, OH 43215
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment