Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Handbags to Duct Tape Treasures


Meet Wendy Calfe from Nouveau Bags...
I was raised in Pittsburgh, PA and graduated from West Virginia University with a degree in Interior Design. I moved to central Ohio with my husband in the mid-80's. I worked in many facets of the custom drapery industry until starting a family, and decided to work from home using my last employer as my first client. I am excited to be a first-time participant in the Avant-Garde show this year, and look forward to returning in the years to come. 


My interest in sewing evolved from a hobby making clothing for myself and the occasional balloom shade for my parents to an independent business creating custom window treatments and home accessories. I discovered making purses and bags was a great way to upcycle small amounts of leftover fabric into beautiful and useful creations. The fabrics inspire the design and use of each bag, and I enjoy choosing attractive linings for each as well.  Support from family and friends encouraged me to pursue this new avenue of creativity.


Meet Melissa Freuh from Sqrl & Bee Studio...
My name is Melissa and I'm a fiber artist and graphic designer. I currently live in the North Campus area of Columbus with my husband Andrew my 2 year old daughter Maya and our two kitties Gamma and Nessie.

I get a lot of my creative insprisation from my daughter and all the kiddos in my life. Since I do make mostly kid stuff. Color is a lare part of what I play wiht. I'm very inspired by color. I love simple uncomplicated design.

I first got into crafting as a hobby by a little pig named Momoco. It was the first needle felted thing I'd ever seen. It was on a Japanese blog I translated. I could not understand how it was made with no seams or stitches. I was then on a mission to find out how to do this needle felting item, and instantly became hooked!!

                           

I have been making mobiles for years, and finally made one and posted it in my shop and it sold immediately so I made anoher one and it sold so I just kept going! People kept buying mobiles so then I contintued to make them and made the decission to offically make it a business three years ago. 

I enjoy crating handmade items because of the wonderful feed back that people give me. I love hearing stories of my mobiles calming their babies down and when people recognize them and remind them that they are home and safe. I enjoy knowing that I have an affect in a small part of their day, and that my creations are other there making little ones happy and calm. I truly don't think it could get better than that!

Meet Mary Shumaker from Ravenswood Jewelry...
I’m relatively new to crafting having only started a little over a year ago. I started out by making feather earrings for my daughters and their friends which morphed into adding beaded earrings into the mix. I primarily focus on earrings, though I dabble in other jewelry pieces as well. The 2012 Columbus show will be my first with Avant-Garde.

The inspiration for my pieces are the stones and beads I work with; I find beauty in mixing different styles and types of beads and stones. I particularly like to juxtapose delicate beads with more industrial or earthy pieces.

I only recently started, this fall actually, to pursue selling my earrings beyond family and friends. I’ve had a positive response from friends and co-workers and based on this I’m branching out to more public forums.

I find that working with beads, stones and feathers allows me to speak through what I create. Earrings may not be considered an “art form” in the truest sense, yet I feel that when I am working I’m moved by the combinations of colors and textures. I find the entire creative process both rewarding and relaxing. My hope is that people enjoy my jewelry and that to some degree a small part of what has inspired me during the creative process is carried with each piece.

Meet Gina Blaurock from Green Handle Designs...
I am a Columbus Native, a graduate of OSU with a BA in English.  I have been  participating in craft shows since May of 2003 after being laid off from Highlights for Children Hospital,I bought a table and sent up in front of the then Banc One on High St for that month's Gallery Hop and have been trying to maintain crafting as a fulltime job ever since. 


Taking a few odd-jobs, parttime and fulltime jobs here and there, pushing crafting on to the back burner as a hobby, I am approaching my 10th year of craft shows.  Starting with jewelry, I added duct tape crafts in 2008. With duct tape becoming a popular seller, I have been able to do shows where I bring only duct tape, such as this one. When I get an idea and turns out well, I have to do that same piece with every color or color combination available.  Crafting is not a hobby, not a job, it is not obsession.  It is an exsistence.

Check out these featured vendors at the 2012 Columbus Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. This eclectic show will feature a large selection of the area's most talented artisans and crafters. A portion of the show's proceeds will be donated to Columbus Ohio's Pet's Without Parents a local non-profit, no-kill, all-breed shelter for dogs and cats.

2012 Columbus Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, November 18, 2012, 1:30pm-6:30pm
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral
555 N. High St 
Columbus, OH 43215
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:




No comments:

Post a Comment