Thursday, October 25, 2012

Inspired Jewelry Artists

Meet Jilaine Anderson from Bead for Life...

I have lived in Columbus Ohio all of my life, and have always included volunteer work as an important part of my life. As a volunteer for BeadforLife, I work on behalf of Ugandan women who lifting themselves out of poverty by making beautiful paper beaded jewelry and luxurious shea products. I have been involved with BeadforLife for about seven years, but just became a community partner last spring. This will be my first Avant-Garde show and I am very excited to be a part of it.
I am inspired every day by the women in Uganda who are weathering through the plagues war, aids, and extreme poverty. Their hard work in the BeadforLife program takes them from surviving on $1.00 a day and teaches them to be entrepreneurs. These empowered Beaders become able to afford education for their children, and food and shelter for their families. When I think I am having a rough day, I think about them singing and smiling and making the beautiful jewelry, or collecting shea nuts, and I am inspired. I am a small business owner myself, so I consider myself a kindred spirit with these women.
After reading the book "Half the Sky" by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, I was inspired to act. Upon finding information about BeadforLife, it knew this was the perfect fit for my desire to help. Armed with a better understanding of what issues contribute to the oppression of women, I knew that BeadforLife's mission was on target with the concept of giving women a hand up, rather than a hand out. I am so glad to have this opportunity to really make a difference, and I very much enjoy the hours I volunteer every week.

Find more information on the following sites:

   


Meet Jackie Sanfilippo from Catching Dreams...
My name is Jackie Sanfilippo, I'm 23 years old from Cleveland Ohio. I've been living in Columbus for a little over a year now and absolutely love the liveliness of this city. Living around the campus area, there is always something to do. The fact that music and art is everywhere down here: on the street, all over buildings, festivals, stores and on people is what keeps me constantly interested and inspired to keep crafting and being unique.

Even though this is my first Avant-Garde craft show, I've been crafting for years.  Everything from refinishing furniture, building furniture, creating a wide variety of home decor to the jewelry I will be selling at the show. Creativeness and the art of crafting has been in my family for decades; Baking, cooking, drawing, painting, arrangements, interior decorating... I could go on forever.  I would definitely say my family has inspired me first and foremost by seeing how they find such enjoyment out of using their talent to bring joy to others.

Secondly I feel that many other artists have inspired me by seeing them find happiness in doing what they love. Last but not least the beauty of nature and its natural elements. I love uniqueness, style, and beauty and its great to be able to incorporate all of that into a piece.
I've enjoyed crafting my whole life, but started getting into it more about 6 years ago. I started scrap booking, which got my mind going and got me into jewelry making, painting, antiquing and making many unique decorations for all over my home. I eventually found my own style and that led me to using feathers and other unique objects to make jewelry.

Starting off I never intended to sell my work. I did it as a hobby, something that I enjoyed spending time doing and creating. I wore my jewelry quite often because it became a representation of me, and many family and friends recognized it and we're interested in my earrings and bracelets, telling me how I should start selling them or put them on Etsy. I'm new to the craft shows, but am so excited to be a part of such a artistic community of people!
The process of jewelry making for me helps to free my mind.  It's the best feeling to turn on some good music and just go to town for hours making different pieces each so different from the last. I hope my work inspires others to put to test their own ideas like many people have helped me do. No matter what comes from it you'll have a unique piece that YOU created from your own inspiration. Don't ever say no to your mind from going on a creative rant :) My pieces are a representation of me spreading my wings, finding my talent, inspiration and growing as a young adult.


Check out these featured vendors at the 2012 Columbus Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. This eclectic show will feature a large selection of the area's most talented artisans and crafters. A portion of the show's proceeds will be donated to Columbus Ohio's Pet's Without Parents a local non-profit, no-kill, all-breed shelter for dogs and cats.

2012 Columbus Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, November 18, 2012, 1:30pm-6:30pm
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral
555 N. High St 
Columbus, OH 43215
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment