Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Meet the Columbus spring vendors!

Meet Shannon Upton from PrayedForCards…
My name is Shannon Upton and I live in Hilliard, Ohio. I create beautiful handmade greeting cards and note cards to help you find the perfect way to love, bless, and encourage others. I’m also a wife, a mother of three, and the author of the Organizing You books.
I started making cards in 2005, and have just loved it!  A few years ago, I began making duplicates of the cards I created for my mom. I soon felt like I was giving her a little gift each time, one that she in turn would pass on to others. That wonderful realization sparked my desire to make and sell cards to others.  What a blessing to be able to do what I love and share it with you—and through you, with your family and friends! This will be my first craft show ever—I’m so excited to give it a try, and to meet new customers (and fellow crafters)!

I’m inspired by other people! Some of the best cards I’ve created have been carefully crafted for particular people in particular circumstances. It’s too hard to stand in a store and try to find the right card, one that says exactly what you want to say. That’s what makes handcrafted cards so special. No matter what sentiment is stamped on the front, my cards will always help you to say, “I see you. I want to show you love and encouragement. I care about you.”
I got into my hobby because like many people, I enjoy scrapbooking but recognize that it’s often a big project. I love to enjoy my creative time (and use all of my supplies!) in a way that’s fun and new every week.

When I was a young mom, I had a mentor at church who encouraged me to try making a card with my scrapbooking materials. As a person with a pretty Type-A personality, I worried I’d do it “wrong,” but I gave it a try and sent the resulting card to her. The next time I saw her, I asked, “Did I do it right?” She laughed and replied, “Oh, yes, I think you’ve got it!” I knew then that I’d been able to take pieces of paper and bits of ribbon and turn them into something beautiful. I think that experience helped me to relax a bit on the creative end, instead channeling my perfectionism into the high quality of the finished product.
When I sit down to create a card, I think about what I’d like to receive if it was my birthday or celebration, or if I needed a little TLC from a friend. What would encourage me and lift my spirits?  What would make me feel loved? I also ask myself: how can I make this card the perfect one to send to different people in different circumstances? Then I do my best to make that vision into a reality, with special touches to help make the cards truly unique. I also make optional peel-and-stick pieces with a Christian sentiment for those who want to encourage others with a scripture verse or other faithful words. When the cards are done, I pray for the future senders and the future recipients.

In five years, I’d love to have found “my gals,” a group of women who just love sending cards—and who particularly love sending my cards! I’d love for them to reach out and ask me for special cards (like, “Hey, Shannon, I’d love some birthday cards for my preschool-age grandkids” or “Shannon, I really need some thank-you cards that are appropriate for men”) so I can make them exactly what they want and need…which would, of course, turn out to be what other customers want and need, too. These women and I could be a fabulous team, loving and serving so many others so well!  (Who knows, maybe you’ll be a part of that team!)
The message behind my work is easy: You are important. I believe that you can love and encourage the people in your sphere of influence in truly amazing ways. I’m praying for you, and for them. I love you, and God loves you.
I’d love to meet you, so please stop by the PrayedForCards table!  You’ll have fun looking, and you’ll find it easy to stock your card stash with exactly what you want and need. My hope is that when you purchase your PrayedForCards, you’ll feel loved and encouraged. You’ll know you’ve been prayed for, and you’ll be excited to encourage others with your words, kindness, and love. I hope to see you soon!

Meet Caitlyn Campbell from Groovyisms…
My name is Cailyn Campbell and I am a 25 year old painter from Clyde, Ohio. I currently live in Springfield, Ohio with my boyfriend Jack, our cats Elliot and Darlene, and dog Strawberry. My preferred medium is acrylic on canvas and I like to use mostly high contrast, bright colors in my work.
I have loved and made art since I was little, but I really took up painting more seriously at the start of the pandemic in 2020. I opened my website in July 2022. This will be my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show!

I’m inspired by nature, childhood nostalgia, places I’ve visited and pop culture. 
My earliest memories of crafting are with my Granny Eileen, making little storybooks. I would draw the picture on each page and she would write the story for me, then staple all my little pages together to make a book. 
Over the years I just discovered I’m not too bad at my hobby! It’s always been a fun, stress relieving hobby to me.

Usually I am inspired by a certain line from a song that I love. The line will remind me of something in my life and paint a scene in my mind. I always look for references before I start, then I’ll make a sketch and start painting. 
It would be a dream for my business to become my main source of income in 5 years. But, I don’t mind if it takes a little longer than that. All that matters to me is that it is still making me happy in 5 years. I do hope to get into more than just canvas paintings in that time, maybe hand painted bags and purses as well.

The message behind my work… people can interpret my work however they like. I create for the feeling that it gives me, and hope that it makes others feel something too, whatever that may be. They are just little pieces of myself that I think are cool and want to share with the world. As long as it feels good to me, I’ll keep creating.
You can find my available art prints on my website groovyisms.com! 

Meet Mae from Mae Designz…
I am super passionate about creating one of a kind bracelets to add to your style that no one has created before, each piece comes from my creative brain work.

I’ve been doing this for a very long time! But officially started my business in 2016!
I’m inspired by just knowing I put a smile on everyone’s face! I mean tears, happy smiles, and shocked faces!

I started creating my own unique bracelets since I was about 11 years old. I went to craft shows with my mamaw, then started in 2016, my own brand- I fell off of it and got lost but found myself again in 2019! Full force! I’ve been to one other Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show, making this my second one!
I discovered my talent when I looked at a bracelet that cost about $500 at macys and said I can do that- so I did, only better :)

For my creative process I just create! I don’t have a lot of inspiration through artists, very few, but I’m an artist through and through.
Where do I see myself in five years… I am already in shops downtown Columbus. The main and absolute goal would be to be in more shops all around the US! 

The message behind my work… be UNIQUE and there’s never too many bracelets!!

Meet Heather Rawlings from Queen Bee Blankets…
Hi! My name is Heather Rawlings of Queen Bee Blankets, and when I’m not at my 9-5, you can find me pushing shopping carts of yarn in Ross County, Ohio. Two decades ago I decided to become an insurance agent; two months ago I fell in love with finger crocheting blankets and haven’t stopped since.

When I was 7 or 8, my sister and I learned how to crochet with a hook. The problem was, I lost interest because it took too long to finish a project. Even into my thirties, the blanket I was making always turned into a scarf. Not long after Christmas 2022, a dear friend showed me how to finger crochet with chunky yarn and I finished a blanket quickly. Then I took it apart so I could do it again. I was hooked without the hook and immediately began making blankets for loved ones. When I ran out of family and friends who wanted blankets, I took to selling them.

This will not only be my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show, but my very first craft show ever. To be honest, I’m nervous and excited because I’m not sure what to expect or how many visitors to anticipate. Of course, I’m already fretting about not being able to operate my Square Card Reader. So if you’re reading this, and you purchase a blanket at the show with a card, be kind. Even though I’m smiling, I’m probably having a mental breakdown on the inside. lol
What inspires me to create… All I need for inspiration is spare time and jumbo yarn, nothing else needed. 

What got me into crafting… It’s easy for hard times to get you down, and I’m as guilty as the next person. I’m coming off a year and a half of surgeries and treatments for breast cancer, and even though I try, my body isn’t up to doing all the physical stuff I did before. I ended up spending my evenings in my chair either watching TV or staring at my phone, not realizing I was getting more depressed every day. It wasn’t until I started crocheting every night that I realized keeping my mind and hands busy was the best therapy I could have asked for. Now, because of making blankets, I’m happier and feel like I have a purpose again.
I discovered my talent by pure accident. What was meant to be an afternoon of fun hanging out with a friend turned into something I’ll do for the rest of my life. I love the constant pulling of the loops and the rhythm you slip into building the rows. It makes me happy.

My creative process is fairly simple. I need a clean and organized work environment, and once I’ve decided on the blanket size and yarn color, I grab my trusty tape measurer and start crocheting. I continually measure throughout the process and gauge my loops as I go. I’ve been known to finish a 6-7 hour project, not like it, and undo it to start over again. Can we say picky?
In five years, I imagine I’ll still be making blankets in the evenings and on weekends to sell online and at craft shows.

The message behind my work… Even though it may be a long, hard journey, go out there and find what makes you happy. It’s worth it. I promise.

My website is queenbeeblankets.com and my Facebook page is Queen Bee Blankets. I don’t have online sales just yet but you can view a few photos. 

Meet Amanda Roberts from ART-C...

I am almost 40, and I am trying something newish! I was raised by my grandparents and a lot of my childhood was spent going from one festival to another. Almost all of my good memories came from these experiences. I have always loved to create things but I haven't had the best luck with follow through because I hadn't found the right product/medium. I think I have found something that brings me joy and brings joy to the people that visit my booth. I currently have been doing my craft for just under a year, this will be my first Avant-Garde show.

I have always enjoyed art. It has been my safe calming space. There have been years where I was unable to have a creative outlet, but that is all changing now. I got into my craft through the inspiration of my grandparents. They raised me, and some of my fondest memories are traveling around the state selling at fairs and festivals.

How I got into my art form..  This all started with me making party favors for my backyard wedding. I made over 150 coasters and everyone loved them. I had people coming up to me afterward asking for more!!


My creative process.. Anything that makes me laugh makes it on my table! The message behind my work is 'laugh about life while thinking of others' (typically people buy my coasters as presents for other people).


2023 Columbus Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday March 26, 2023
10:00am-4:00pm
Makoy Event Center
5462 Center St.
Hilliard, OH 43026
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment