Thursday, March 23, 2023

Let the Count Down Begin!

Meet Amanda Roberts from Amanda Roberts Trinkets & Crafts…
I am almost 40 and am trying something newish! I was raised by my grandparents and a lot of my childhood was spent going from one festival to another. Almost all of my good memories came from these experiences. I have always loved to create things but I haven't had the best luck with follow through because I hadn't found the right product/medium. I think I have found something that brings me joy and brings joy to the people that visit my booth.
I’ve been doing my craft for just under a year, and this will be my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. This all started with me making party favors for my backyard wedding. I made over 150 coasters and everyone loved them. I had people coming up to me afterward asking for more!!

I have always enjoyed art. It has been my safe calming space. There have been years where I was unable to have a creative outlet but that is all changing now.
How I got into my craft… My grandparents raised me and some of my fondest memories are traveling around the state selling at fairs and festivals.
For my creative process, anything that makes me laugh makes it on my table!

The message behind my work is to laugh about life while thinking of others (typically people buy my coasters as presents for other people)

Meet Jen Donovan from Pleasant Valley Apothecary…
Your skin is your body's largest organ, treat it with care! Soap and skin care should be good for you and the environment. My products are made using all natural ingredients that you can actually pronounce! They are made in small batches in my home. I care about giving you the best so you can feel your best and know you are treating the environment with kindness. No synthetic scents or colors ever. Scented with essential oils only. Colors are from botanicals or clays only. Never any petroleum, titanium dioxide, palm oil, sulfates, parabens, phthalates, mineral oil, and no animal testing! My packaging is minimal and selected to be reusable and/or recyclable.
I have only just started selling my products after years of making them for myself and as gifts for others.

This is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show!
I am dedicated to natural products that treat our bodies and the environment with care.
How I got into my hobby… I started out making items for personal use and gifts.

I discovered my talent through trial and error! I started out making products for myself and I only sell what I love!
In five years, I hope to still be creating wonderful things! 
The message behind my work… Simple is always best!

Meet Rae Drotleff from Rae Drotleff Crafts…
My name is Rae! Please refer to me with they or he pronouns, I'm a fiber artist/crafter. I was born and raised in Dublin, OH, but no longer live there. I have lived in Baltimore, MD the past 5 years while getting my bachelors degree from the Maryland Institute College of Art. I always have a cup of green tea as soon as I wake up in the morning, and I love to go for a drive or a hike.

My mother taught me how to sew when I was 13, or whatever age you are in 7th grade. I got more serious about sewing and weaving around 2017, and switched my major to fiber arts shortly after. I learned to crochet 4 years ago and to knit 1 year ago.
This will be my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show, and I’m excited to check it out.
I’m inspired to create by trash day, the thrift store, car crashes, conversations I have with my friends, and movies (mainly Ardman productions).

How I got into my craft… To be frank, cosplay. But once I was in school for fiber arts, I wanted to learn how to make stuff that is comfortable to wear, and also has distinctive shapes and pattern mixing. I'm now very driven by the statement or spectacle you can create with a garment, and how much clothing relies on the present.
As a child I loved drawing and making things from sculpey, and lining up my toys like they were going to be a set for a play or a store window. I don't really think of myself as talented, more as stubborn and persistent. My skills didn't come to me overnight, I learned from each piece I made and grew from that. Talking to people is also very informative, and taking classes and being in supportive educational environments brought out some of my favorite works
.

My creative process… Loud music, and crawling around on the floor aligning my pattern pieces. Or I will put on a tv show, or YouTube, and crochet/knit. When I am making a hat for someone I will ask them for colors they desire, and riffle through my bag of yarn and send them photographs of the yarns I can offer. I often will put the yarns next to each other to compare the color interactions.
In five years, it would be amazing if I had an album/scrapbook of photographs of people in stuff I made that they have sent me. I want to see how my pieces are styled in different hands, I would love to see my pieces worn to parties.

The message behind my work… Humor is underestimated. If you want a trend to happen you have to start it. Stories of lived experience as an LGBT person in the midwest.

Meet Priyanka Aggarwal from ChaiBag… 
I'm Priyanka, founder of ChaiBag - a Masala Chai Co. I'm an engineer-turned-blender, and began creating tea blends in my kitchen that soon were a hit among the local community! After founding ChaiBag, I spent four months in India, researching the best tea and spice gardens to make the best ingredients and flavors in ChaiBag's tea blends!
I founded ChaiBag in 2021, but I have been making chai (and creating spiced-chai blends) since I was a kid :). I also have 10 plus years of supply chain experience in the industry.

This will be my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show!

I first began creating tea blends for my husband, who'd often find himself missing authentic, homemade chai during his travels. The options available at that time weren't the taste of Indian chai that we were familiar with. That's when I decided to create the authentic Indian chai blends that could be prepared in minutes to create flavorful and fresh chai. These blends turned out to be a hit amongst family and friends alike! My inspiration to create was further fuelled by the positive reception within my community, with my product becoming a part of their daily routine  for many of my neighbors. Bringing people joy (and a taste of home) is what inspires me above all!

I got into my hobby due to the fact that I'm good at blending and making chai :). That, coupled with the encouragement I received from the community got me to start ChaiBag.
How I discovered my talent… It was a no brainer. I have been making chai since I was 8 years old! This was and still is one of my best beverage recipes. When I quit my corporate job 2 years back to take care of my little ones, that's when I realized I wanted to have a third baby- my chai co.
My creative process is hands-on - I can visualize the type of flavor I'm looking for in a cup of chai, and during my visit to India, I immersed myself in bringing these exact flavors out through different proportions of spices and black tea. My blends are curated and finalized only once they make the perfect cup of chai well liked by the community.
In five years, I see myself reaching a larger audience in and around the US, and hopefully becoming a household name. I hope to see my chai bring unique and memorable tea experiences to everyone - and I hope to expand  through multiple channels, like local retail stores and e-commerce.

My intent with ChaiBag is to transport my consumer to their grandma's kitchen through the aroma of my spices and herbs. The goal of this soothing beverage is to give them moments of peace, focus or whatever else that they may need at that time!
The key message is clear- take time out for yourself and make this part of your self care routine!

Meet Jillian Maruskin from art2seebyjillianb
I'm a self-taught artist who has been home raising children for six years. Being home with kids is by far the most challenging job I've done and working on my art has been one of the few ways I could have something of my own.

I started dabbling in art about 8 years ago. I started with colored pencils and markers, but have since moved more towards fineliners and watercolors.
This is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show! 

What inspires me to create… I love to work from photographs. I do not create with the end goal of realism, but pull certain characteristics out of the photograph to highlight while allowing my own style to dominate. I do a lot of self-portraits because I am my most readily available subject. I also love to meet people out in public and get their permission to take a photo and then draw them.
How I got into my craft… To me, making art is an act of self-care and self-preservation. I'm not sure I could survive without the opportunity to create.

I do a lot of studies of famous works and have learned so much from that process. I don't remember a singular moment where I thought, "Hey, maybe I'm good at this," but I do remember a point where I started to trust and accept compliments on my work from family and friends.

My creative process is unorganized and instinctual. 
Where I see myself in five years… I really love to do commission work, so I hope to have a steady stream of people's meaningful photographs to work from.

I don’t have an answer to what the message behind my work is yet. I’m just glad to be able to create. 

2023 Columbus Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday March 26, 2023
10:00am-4:00pm
Makoy Event Center
5462 Center St.
Hilliard, OH 43026
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment