Sunday, June 12, 2022

Come Shop Us NOW!!!

 Meet Gretchen McKee from Vintage Red Creations...

Hello! My name is Gretchen McKee and I live in Columbus with my husband and our five children, although four of them are out on their own. I love being outdoors, being with family and spending time with friends. I love working with my hands either fixing something or creating somethingI started making framed board games for our home in late 2020. In the summer of 2021, I made a few for friends and family and then in November I opened my Etsy shop. 


This is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show, and I am so excited! I LOVE working with my hands and creating things. Even as a kid, I couldn't get enough of craft kits, sewing, latch hook rugs (in the 70s!), etc. Making things and sharing them with others is very fulfilling for me. I'm also a huge fan of antiques and vintage items and giving them new life makes me pretty happy. The idea that something I have made makes others happy is definitely inspiring.


The one thing that got me into my crafting hobby are the framed board games that were born out of a desire to find something like them to hang on a wall in our home. I couldn't find what I was looking for so I made them! The travertine coasters I make using early 1900s sheet music came about because I wanted to come up with a craft idea the kids could do during the pandemic. I ended up being the only one making them. I have a knack for fixing things and creating something out of a problem I'm trying to solve, like the framed games. All of the easels I use to display my framed board games were made by me! I needed something to display the large frames and I didn't want to spend the money, so I used scraps, came up with a prototype and they work great! 

I'm not a perfectionist, but I'm super close. I take a lot of pride in the work that I do and creating a product that reflects that, is super important to me. I wanted a process that had minimal impact to the integrity of the board game, with a look that didn't distract, but enhanced it's beauty. Where do I see myself in 5 years with my business? Well, I still have a full-time job, but I would love to still have my business when I retire (NOT in 5 years). In 5 years consistently selling 60 - 70 framed games a year would be awesome. The message behind my work is making something old "new" again and bringing friends and family together through good old fashioned board games.

Meet Catherina Bishop from Jewelry by Catherina...

Hello! My name is Catherina and I used to be a chef in France and the Netherlands but found my passion in making jewelry before I moved to Columbus. I have been making jewelry to sell for 10 years. I have also participated in several of the Avant-Garde Art & Craft Shows. 


Nature inspires my creative flow. I love how nature repeats itself in many ways. I also like to look at what women and men are wearing and wanting to wear so I can create accessories that complement their outfits. The one thing that got me into the craft hobby was how I always wanted to learn something that I could create and use. I also learned how to crochet as well at the same time of jewelry making. I have always been very useful with my hands and that is how I discovered my talent. 


I see my online business even more busy and myself doing a lot of shows as well as get into more shops and boutiques in 5 years. What is the message behind my work? My website has many collections. I do try to make a lot of my finer jewelry such that it does not need to be taken off. One can work out in it, swim in it, sleep in it, etc.

Meet Linda Todd from BellaLuca Creations...
Hello! My name is Linda Todd and I was born in Columbus (Fort Benning), Georgia. Then I moved to Columbus, Ohio when I was 18 and married for 48 years to my soulmate Bill who became my angel 2 years ago. I am retired after working 42 years at Battelle and have been doing crafts for about 8 years. I started out with wreaths, flower arrangements and beaded jewelry and now doing acrylic pour paintings, acrylic jewelry, and alcohol ink artwork, in addition to wreaths and flower arrangements. 
This my first Avant-Garde show and I am so proud to be part of this wonderful organization. I started out crafting by making wreaths for family. My friends started showing interest in my work and the rest of my story is "history". Making crafts is, and always has been, my "happy place". All of my creations are made with love and I always say a special prayer for the people that receive them.
I see myself working on my crafts 5 years from now, continuing to make people happy. The message behind my work is that "each of us is blessed with our own unique talents...it is never too late to discover yours...find your "happy" place and start creating your own magic". 

Meet Adrienne Freeman from Asiyas Sweets...

Hello! My name is Adrienne and I am by trade a medical assistant, but by choice a baker! I have two children that are 6 and 8, who love trying all my new creations. My baking started over 25 years ago when I was about 6 years old. My mom has always been a great cook and baker, so I was able to watch and learn through the years. I think my love for baking came from her and the amazing dishes (both sweet and savory) she made for our family everyday.

After baking for family and friends for years, I decided to share my sweets with others. As I was creating my business in 2015 I thought about what keeps me going, and at that point in life it was my daughter. This is how the name "Asiyas Sweets" was created. The hope for Asiyas Sweets is to make people smile with sweet creations. 

We offer amazing homemade cupcakes, brownies and cookies! This will be our first time participating in the Avant-Garde Art & Craft show, but definitely not our last! By spreading our name through the community one sweet treat at a time, we believe our growth will allow us to expand into our first dessert truck by spring 2023.

Meet Angelina Bruno from Spicy Flamingo Crafts...
Hi! My name is Angelina, but you can call me Angie! I am twenty three, and live in Columbus, Ohio with my sister and our forever growing pets! By day I work in a Hotel, by night I write books and make Resign crafts. I love creating, and am constantly looking for new ways to explore options that stimulate my mind and bring people joy every single day. 

How long have I been doing this for? I have been making Resign Crafts for around a year now! This is my first Avant-Garde Show, but it surely will not be my last! I love to constantly challenge myself to create things that make people smile. Life is too boring to do the usual 9-5, and trying new things and using my brain and hands makes life even more rewarding. I also am a huge advocate for mental health, and it makes my day when items such as my sensory cubes bring people in need so much joy and something to help them ease their mind. 
I started doing resin crafts to ease my own anxiety and keep myself active when depression was at its highest. It helped me keep focus and gave me something creative and fulfilling to work on while I was healing. I can't say I discovered my talent as much as I discovered my love for it. I love working with the molds, colors, and glitters to make mesmerizing effects! I try to keep a color scheme for sets that I make, and will match glitters to the schemes itself. I like to work with what emotions I am feeling, the time of year, and also what kind of effects would work best with the base format. 

I would love to see my business as a great seller for mental health gadgets and creative crafting. My main goal is to help people explore their fun side, and to help give them something beautiful to bring that daily dose of serotonin. The message behind my work is simple; keep things spicy. I want life to always be interesting and unexpected, and being eccentric and open minded is a huge first step. 



2022 COLUMBUS SUMMER AVANT-GARDE ART & CRAFT SHOW
Sunday, June 12th 2021
10:00am-4:00pm
Makoy Event Center
5462 Center St. 
Hilliard, Ohio 43026
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment