Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Crafty Creators Coming to Columbus!

Meet Alyssa Ziemba from Tandem Glass...
Tandem Glass is a family owned and operated glass art studio located in Oberlin, Ohio. We offer you beautifully hand-crafted and personally designed objects for the home and personal wear. Unlike modern manufactured craft goods, our products offer elegance and a sense of quality that is unmatched. Our main goal is to allow you to have elevated products that are affordable, hand-made and of the highest quality.
The owners, Jacob Garretson and Alyssa Ziemba, met while studying the artful skill of glass blowing at the Cleveland Institute of Art in 2015. The two have been creating and blowing glass together ever since! This will be their very first Avant-Garde Art and Craft Show and their first year bringing their work to the public.
At Tandem Glass we are inspired by the materiality of glass and how versatile it is. We enjoy creating a variety of jewelry, drink ware, plates as well as seasonal home décor such as blown glass ornaments and pumpkins. Our love and passion for the arts and community has driven us to become part of the craft hobby and craft show world.

Our creative process is derivative of elevated designs for the home and personal wear. We love to create a variety in everything that we make, whether it be color, shape, or form—we are constantly creating items that fit with anyone’s personal style or design. In 5 years, we would like to have a brick and mortar establishment where we are able to showcase our artwork as well as offer opportunities for the community and the public to participate in learning how we create and design our glass blown products.

Teamwork and Inclusivity, that is what our business is about and that is the message behind our work. Our products are designed and produced by the two of us and we strive to create elegant, beautiful products that everyone can take home and be a part of.

Meet Amanda Erwin...
Amanda Erwin is a kindergarten teacher and writer from Marysville, OH. She is passionate about inspiring children and adults to pursue their dreams and let their voice be heard. She is a loving wife to her high school sweetheart and dog mom to her two adorable pups. When Amanda isn’t in the classroom or writing in her favorite spot, you may find her working out at her local gym, traveling with family, or serving at her local church and community.
I have been writing since I was a child. I got more serious about sharing my writing in college. I have been publishing books for 2 years now. I have always loved writing, but becoming a teacher fueled this passion even more. My inspiration is centered around my faith and call to inspire kids and adults around the world. Everyone has a story to tell and everyone's story is important. I normally draw on real life experiences to inspire my thoughts and stories. Once I have an idea, I often sit down and write the entire story and then fine tune from there. I firmly believe in writing straight from the heart. In five years, I see myself teaching and writing stories that will inspire others.
This will be my first show and I am excited to join! I hope the attendees of the show are able to see the messages behind my work: "Even in life's darkest moments a glimpse of light can shine through"
and "Teach with Heart."

Meet Linda Joyce Brown of Milkweed Metals...
I am a former college English professor but have been drawn to sculpture and mixed-media art for most of my life. In 2018, I decided to quit my former career to have more time for family, the outdoors, and metalsmithing. While I started making jewelry many years ago, I have only studied metalsmithing for about two years. My ability to create jewelry is not so much a talent I discovered as a practice I continue to work to develop. I spend a lot of time using my tools, especially my jeweler’s saw, hammers, and torch, and I know my work is going well when I lose sight of them as tools and find my focus on the design they help me to create.
I love working with my hands—whether in the garden or creating art. Metalsmithing provides a satisfying outlet for my creativity and my desire to work manually; it is especially gratifying to know that someone will continue to wear and enjoy something I have made.

I am inspired by the malleability of metal and the transformative properties of nature. The name of my studio is drawn from milkweed—the plant that sustains monarch butterflies during their transition from larva to adult—a plant that has been depleted by modern farming techniques but that many gardeners, including me, have chosen to grow in their gardens to nurture the maturation cycle and ensure a future for the butterflies. My studio name reminds me of nature’s promise of renewal and the effort we must make to keep this cycle turning. Like milkweed for the monarch, metalsmithing transforms raw materials into new and beautiful shapes. From metal comes metamorphosis.

When I work with semi-precious stones, I usually sketch out my design before starting to cut and shape silver to create a setting. However, I am happiest when I let myself work spontaneously. Sometimes, I gather left-over bits of silver, turn on my torch, and start melting things together to see what kinds of shapes and patterns begin to emerge. I love the serendipity that can happen when I experiment.

While it’s hard to imagine where the coming years will take me, one thing I know for certain is that I will still be learning! I am committed to education as a life-long process and am excited to learn new skills and techniques. The winter show in Columbus will be my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show!


2019 Columbus Winter Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday December 1, 2019 - 10:00am-4:00pm
Makoy Event Center
5462 Center St.
Hilliard, OH 
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment