Friday, September 7, 2018

Coming To You Soon Columbus!

Meet Chelsea Nutto from CaffeinatedTails...
Hi everyone! My name is Chelsea and I am the owner of CaffeinatedTails! I currently live in Columbus. This is my first Avant-Garde show and will be my 2nd event I’ll have sold at so far! Born and raised in southwest Michigan, I have grown up with a crafty mother who encouraged me to explore many creative fields such as sewing, baking, scrap booking, jewelry, and much more. So naturally, I was crafty. My creativity also spans as a musician (alumna of Capital University, BM degree in Flute Performance) and as a cos-player of five years.
I am inspired to create from different sources; I like making fandom related tails (as a nod to the cos-player side of things) as well as making semi-realistic (and non realistic) animal type/colored tails. Sometimes, color combos and even foods can be inspirations for me! As for how I came across making tails...I actually have to thank Instagram and Google for inspiring and giving me tutorials as I had originally learned to make tails for my own costumes but then decided to create commissions for others before just making it a hobby sort of shop on Etsy. This has been a major hobby for about 1 year now. My message behind my work...is that life is too short not to explore and express yourself!

Meet Sandy Stamey from The Vintage...
Hi, I'm Sandy Stamey! I come from a large family, born in Iowa, raised in Illinois, and moved to Ohio 46 years ago. I currently live in Newark, Ohio and own a Vintage Shoppe. "The Vintage" is an Eclectic mix of Antiques and Unique items, as well as shabby-chic, rustic, and one of a kind finds. I've been crafting for over 30 years, and I'm excited to participate in my first Avant-Garde Art and craft Show!
I enjoy bringing new life to old furniture by refurbishing and painting. Vintage Fabrics inspire me to create vintage-style crafts, and there are always new ideas waiting to be created. I enjoy creating items that bring joy to others, and excepting the challenges along the way. Thank you to Becki for the opportunity to Participate in the Avant-Garde Show!

Meet Julia Swartzel from LuAu Design...
I am a middle school teacher by day and have been teaching for 10 years. I have been married to my best friend for 11 years and we have two sweet and funny girls, ages 7 & 5. My business name comes from my girl's names put together, Lu[cy] and Au[drey]. I love spending time with my family, traveling the world, and watching sports, especially Buckeyes football!
LuAu Design Co is now10 months old! I have not been a previous Avant-Garde show, but I am looking forward to participating in my very first one on September 9th! I have always loved making things for people and giving others gifts. I feel honored at the opportunity to create a product that starts as an idea in a client's mind and then be able to bring it to life.
I started creating and designing items for my daughter's birthday parties. I always looked forward to creating party decorations and favor bags around a theme for each one of their birthdays. My family and friends started asking me to create and make things for them, so I soon realized that I had the ability to start a business. My mind is constantly thinking about different product ideas. I use things around me to help inspire and launch a product idea. I am a perfectionist, so some ideas take longer than others. Continuing to bring custom and personalized products across the country. Each piece is one-of-a-kind and made with great care. My hope is that it will bring you joy and I am honored to be able to create each and every product!

Meet Joyce Dorn from Jewelry Designs by JoyD...
My name is Joyce Dorn and my business name is Jewelry Designs by JoyD. I have been creating jewelry for more than 10 years. I have also taken other classes at the Columbus Cultural Arts Center and from local Bead stores and workshops in and out of Ohio to learn more and get better at my craft of metalsmithing and enameling.
I have participated in several shows with Avant-Garde, and I like that I see the returning customers at the shows, as well as greeting new people and helping them make their jewelry choices! It helps me improve my design choices and see what customers are looking for. I have altered pieces to so they have the best fit for them. So, I guess you could say my customers inspire me to create and continue to learn.
                                   
My creative process is based on what I have learned, and I check out magazines and pictures,even the coloring books looking at drawings or that “spark”. I don’t copy; I create my version. I have jewelry mentors – people that inspire me with their styles – I don’t copy them but they create my desire to do better!
                                   
In five years I hope I can say I have a customer base that I can cater to, and hope that I can attend more workshops to continue learning. I like the rustic in my designs, and I like working with the copper and silver metal and wire components. If there is a message to be learned I would say it would be to continue to learn and find new methods of creating. Be true to yourself and your craft!


2018 Columbus Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday September 9, 2018 - 10:00am-4:00pm
Makoy Event Center
5461 Center St.
Hilliard, OH 
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

1 comment:

  1. Only downsides here was that I’m not sure if they were expecting such a crowd as they did not have nearly enough servers and sometimes it would take a really long time for service guy to come. But the Chicago venues tried to keep a smiles on their face.

    ReplyDelete