Monday, June 6, 2016

Show Time is Five Days Away, Columbus!

Meet Jean Hicks from Nellie Pearl Designs...
Hello my name is Jean Hicks! I'm a 62 year old wife, mother and grandmother (with a 9 year old grand-daughter almost as tall as I am). I was looking for a creative outlet and remembered my grandmother's (Nellie Pearl or Nana) box of shells in the attic. Along with the shells, I also found clip-on and screw-back earrings that she'd fashioned in the 1940's and 50's. After turning most into posts for my pierced ears I thought...hmmm...maybe I could do the same. Whoa... little did I know.
My father was quite an artist with chalks and pen & ink. I've always had an "art side," but I put it on hold for years. My entire family are artists - my husband paints beautifully; my oldest son is a landscape architect and sculpts; my daughter is a professional cake (among other delectable goodies) decorator and also paints and sculpts; my youngest son is a graduate of CCAD and sculpts, creates Twist Tie figures and is an designer for a local company. Even my granddaughter paints wonderful pictures and is quite creative with other projects.
In 5 years, I will hopefully still be creating earrings. I'm looking into "dangling" earrings and other things. Other things being pins and maybe bracelets. I enjoy creating one-of-a-kind handmade jewelry. I do love the fact that there is only one of each - maybe a different color, but still, just one of a kind.

Meet Justin Poole from Just Real Woodcrafts...
My name is Justin Poole, and although I’m not originally from Columbus, rather Toronto, OH, I moved here for college, met my FiancĂ©, and never left. I work in Economic Development during the day, and craft in my free time. I am also the Program Director of two large Festivals in Toronto, OH.
Growing up I was surrounded by many talented artisans in Toronto that focused on the primitive, yet whimsical style. My mom even had a short venture in the woodcraft business when I was 3 years old. To this day I use her scroll saw to produce my work. One day I had an idea so I started sketching them. The next thing I knew I couldn’t live without it.
While I do a lot of sports favorites, I hope to make people smile when they see my work. I think that the message behind my work is that regardless of what other people think, if you like something and are passionate about it, don’t let others deter you from it.


Meet Rebecca Stanforth from Dream Warriors...
Hello everyone, my name is Rebecca Dove Stanforth. I study many different types of arts, healing arts, martial arts, and crafting arts. I am a massage therapist, and martial arts instructor. I study and teach taekwondo and kimoodo.
I first began crafting dream catchers when I was 12 years old. My mom taught me as a way for us to spend time together at a time when I just wanted to hang out with friends. After she passed, every few years I would craft dream catchers for Christmas presents. 
A few years ago, friends and family encouraged me to share my art. Thus, my Facebook page, Dove's Dream Warriors was created.  While I have sold some, this will be my first craft show. I'm very excited to share my art with everyone. It's been 20 years but my mother's creative spirit and energy still inspire me. Every dream catcher I make is unique. Everyone should have a warrior to protect their dreams. 

Meet Mary Beth Cowardin from Velo Art for a Cause…
My name is Mary Beth Cowardin and, while I’ve always enjoyed arts and crafts, crafting as a ‘business” is new to me. My interest in cycling began 7 years ago when I started riding with a women’s cycling club named Girls with Gears. We formed a Peloton to train and ride in Pelotonia, a grass-roots bike ride that raises money for cancer research at The James Cancer Hospital.
I saw some bike chain art on Pinterest that I thought was really unique and I have always been interested in finding a hobby that would provide an outlet for my creativity. As I started making various items, I thought this could be a way to create art for cyclist enthusiasts and raise money for our fundraising obligation for Pelotonia. We left empty boxes at various bike shops and they were more than willing to save old bike chains. Cleaning the chain is no fun-that’s my boyfriend’s job! (He’s better at it than I am). Now we have more bike chains than we know what to do with.
Founded in 2008, Pelotonia was established with the objective to fund life-saving cancer research. Pelotonia is a three-day experience that includes a weekend of cycling, entertainment and volunteerism. In its first seven rides, Pelotonia raised more than $106 million for cancer research. 100% of my proceeds from the sale of my crafts at the Avant-Garde show will go to me and my boyfriend’s Pelotonia fundraising obligation. We have a goal of raising $8K this year!


2016 Columbus Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, June 11, 2016
 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment