Friday, June 10, 2016

Meet Courtney Talbott from Pink Sprinkles Plush...
My name is Courtney Talbott and I'm a mom and wife living if rural central Ohio.  I love all things odd and unique, I'm particularly fond of bugs, anything Halloween/horror and of course monsters of all sorts. I started Pink Sprinkles Plush in 2008 as a hobby.  
What inspires me... At a very young age my paternal Grandma started me on crafts and I haven't stopped since.  I love making things with my own two hands. I've always loved stuffed animals, especially unusual or overly cute plush.  I had the idea for monsters with long arms and legs and sticky pad fasteners.  With the help of my Aunt, I learned to use my sewing machine which had been gathering dust for years and Pink Sprinkles Monsters were born.


How I discovered my talent... It was more practice than anything.  The first monsters did not look anything like what I make now.  It was all trial and error and a lot of patience. When it comes to my creative process, I let the fabrics inspire which monster/plush I'll create next. I cut them all in small batches, hand paint their eyes and hand embroider their faces.  

The message behind my work... Be unique, be creative, have fun, stuffed animals are for all ages.  If they make you smile, I've done my job.

Meet Shelley Harding and Courtney Harding from Serving with Style...
The name of our business is : Serving with Style - the owners are: Shelley Harding & Courtney Harding - mother and daughter, Sharlene Neumann- Courtney's soon to be mother in law. We are from Mansfield/Galion Ohio. We love just having fun creating our beaded silverware and hanging out together.
Our favorite part about what we do is we love the silverware when it is done, it is both beautiful and useful.  Everywhere we take them people fall in love with them We got started in the business because we have always enjoyed going to craft shows! After buying some sets of beaded silverware we decided we could do this ourselves! One day, we just sat down and tried it, and decided we were having a ball being together and creating!
What is unique about our business is that each piece is individual, we just start putting pieces together and when it looks right we go with it.!

The message behind our work is simply that we hope that people will enjoy them as we do. Our pieces make wonderful, holiday, wedding, hostess and "just because" gifts.

Meet Abby Dicken from Never Ends..
My name is Abby, I'm 16 years old, and I'm from Columbus, Ohio! I am half-Japanese and American. I have been playing piano for 8 years, and have been in choir for 5 years(through middle school and high school). I have gone to Japan 7 times and will be going for my 8th time next year! I have been drawing since I was very little, but I have been doing stippling/dotwork since March of last year.

Something interesting about my work/myself... I want to become a tattoo artist when I'm older, so I sort of challenge myself to try and do "tattoo designs" of my own. Whenever I want to draw something, I always include stippling/dotwork, which sometimes can be a bit challenging, but I like a bit of a challenge. How I discovered my talent.. When I got into dotwork, it was when I started liking a band called Bring Me the Horizon. The frontman's wife, Hannah Sykes, is a tattoo artist that does dotwork, like what I've been doing. I looked through her account on Instagram which was (and still is) filled with her artwork and tattoos, and I became inspired to do dot work.

My creative process... Before I draw something, I think about what I want to draw and how I want to start it off, either freehand or with a pencil. Next, I look up pictures for reference. Then, I start stippling/drawing a certain part of the drawing, and keep on creating whatever comes to mind. Then, (if I used a pencil), I start tracing the marks with an inked pen. After that, I start stippling the parts that I want to stipple in. Lastly, I erase all of the pencil marks and look through every detail of my artwork. If there's something missing, like a line or a part where I didn't stipple enough, I'll add it in. Then I'll look through it again and when everything seems "perfect," I'll call it a finished piece.

My five year goal... Hopefully, I will be able to see myself happily working in my dream career with the people that support me with what I do. The message differs within my artwork. Some might tell a story, others are there to simply show what I want to show!

Meet Michelle Hirsch from Michelle's Glass Work...
Hi, I’m Michelle Hirsch, a Wife,  Mother of two young adults, teacher, and small business owner! I am a Family Consumer Science Teacher (Home Ec.) for over 30 years.  I have always enjoyed creating:  from redesigning wedding gowns, cooking and my Kiln work .  
How I got into my craft.. My Mother and her Aunt were very crafty so I think my love for being around this ladies soaked into my being.

My kiln work as evolved over the years from recycle/reuse wine bottles into glass fusing made into custom coaster/platters along with jewelry. I love colors and trying new things!

Meet Tami Bevins from Untapped Love...
UNTAPPED LOVE-"TAPPING INTO THE LOVE AND BEAUTY THE WORLD HAS TO OFFER"

We are 2 sisters (one living in Ohio, one living in Peru) who wanted to be able to help marginalized people (specifically women) around the world. Our goal is to create an outlet for these women to not only show the world their artistic talents, but also create job opportunities.

We have been doing this now for approximately one year but in different capacities ranging from research, "on the ground" creation of new concepts, designs and ideas, to building partnerships with rural communities. This started with one of the sisters constant love of travel and also working to support fair trade practices and wanting to do more to help these communities in need. 
What inspires us to create, is the women we work with and the families they support, the unique and creative talents they hold, and the constant drive to help others achieve their dreams. Also...we love worldly fashions so this is FUN for us!

Our talents perfectly balance each other out as partners. Being sisters, we both know what we can bring to the table. Our creative process is a mix of traveling and seeing first hand what talents the women in these communities offer and then collaborating with them on styles and products that work in the North American Market. 
In 5 years, our goal is to be able to expand the amount of shows we do and provide more job opportunity to more communities as well as help create a sustainable work environment for them. For example, we would eventually love to be able to build a shop for them to make their products vs. them having to make them in their home. We would also like to be able to purchase better equipment for them to make the products.

The message behind our work is love and passion for who we work with, what we sell, and what we are doing to contribute to the world. We also want to bring awareness to people that by buying fair trade, hand-made goods, you can have quality, beautiful items that are also helping a greater cause. 

2016 Columbus Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, June 11, 2016
 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN


No comments:

Post a Comment