Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Ready to Get Crafty?

Meet Suzanne Reis from Designs By Suzanne...
I am a third generation designer/artist/seamstress of Swedish descent. I first started designing and sewing at the age of 4, the year after Dad's going to Heaven, creating handmade wardrobes for each of my dolls. At 6 years of age, my Mom taught me to sew on the sewing machine. I grew up watching my Mom and Grandmother design and sew for family and their clientele, many of whom were handicapped, for my Mom was a seamstress/designer by trade. She taught me design, an eye for color and its hues, painting, the lost arts of tatting, hairpin lace, smocking, also working with silk, fur, lingerie fabrics, designing without patterns, viewing something in a store and returning home to create a replica.  I was quite zealous in wanting to learn all she knew. I am very blessed to have had my Mom and for her to teach me her skills for 16 years when she passed to Heaven.   
My creative process begins with the fabric itself. The talents God has given are instant upon viewing a fabric and I am able to visualize exactly what the design will be there in the store.  I am drawn to the many different hues of color and their vibrancy. A scene within the fabric will inspire a design, whether it be birds, sea and sky, dogs and cats, etc. Once at home with the fabric, I just start designing and sewing as it comes to me easily. Although I rarely use patterns, the elements of design require measurement and drawing for precise detail. The foundation of any design must be structured to create a lasting beauty and to be pleasing to the eye upon its completion.
My goal is to have a great presence online to supplement my retirement income. In addition, I wish to market my designs at resort gift shops, fashion shows for weddings, and perhaps collaborate my designs with other entrepreneurs and investors.I strongly believe that one can do anything they set their minds to do with diligence and tenacity no matter what people say, be it for or against.  One must believe in oneself.  This was instilled within me at an early age listening and desiring to learn all I could from Mom, who was my mentor and teacher.  In conversations with my customers, I relay the story of my Mom and the heritage she passed on to me and that my talents are God-given.       

Meet Kaitlin and Emily Holt from The Hank Company…
My name is Kaitlin Holt, and along with my sister, Emily Holt, we make natural gemstone bracelets that serve a bigger purpose. I am 21 years old and attend OSU where I am majoring in communications with a minor in business management. Emily recently turned 15, and is finishing her freshman year of high school. We have both always loved making bracelets with beads since we were young, and we carried this love with us as we grew. We have upgraded to natural gemstone beads, but the passion and love to create is the same as when we were children.
Last year, I rescued a kitten from an animal shelter, who I named Hank, and I quickly fell in love with him. He is the reason our company is named The Hank Company. Rescuing Hank made me very interested in helping shelters and the animals they rescue, and our business was born.  With every bracelet that is sold, a portion of the proceeds are donated to the Humane Society of the United States. We are a younger company; we have been officially in business since January, but we are very excited to grow and learn with our company. 
This is our first craft show ever. and we are counting down the days! In five years, we would both love to see the business grow. But mainly, we would love to help many animals find forever homes. We are excited to see where the business takes us. Feel free to check us out at our website: shophankco.com. Or at our etsy shop: etsy.com/shop/thehankcompany. A portion of all proceeds are donated to giving animals a better life!

Meet Marlene Wortman from The Cake Florist...
Greetings, my name is Marlene Wortman. I am retired but not tired. I have a hobby - creating sugar flowers made from gum paste & fondant. You can bake an ordinary cake or cupcakes from a box of cake mix & make it extra ordinary with my ready-to-stick sugar flowers for decoration. They will transform it into a special & beautiful treat.
Ever since I was a little girl, I've always hung around the kitchen with my mother. And with 8 other siblings, you co call it a 24/7 diner. I love trying new recipes, garnishing and presenting them very beautifully. I've always had a niche for making food attractive and appetizing. I also love and enjoy interior decorating and gardening. I have a small perennial garden and a sunroom with ornamental plants and some orchids. This is the ideal retirement for me.
This is my first time to join an art & craft show. I learned about Avant-Garde through the newspaper. If this turns out to be a success, I could turn it into a small business venture. Lastly, if you don't have any spare time to decorate your cake or cupcakes-I have the solution!

Meet Mary Mascazine from Marbled Bits...
Hello! I am Mary Mascazine and am the artist behind "Marbled Bits". This is the Ancient Art of Paper Marbling consisting of dropping acrylic paint on carrageenan, which is made from seaweed. After making a design, one that has been passed down through the centuries, paper treated with alum is slowly lowered on the tray and the design is lifted off. There are never two of a kind.
I became interested in marbling after I had been making my own paper for some time. I saw that Galen Berry was teaching classes in Ann Arbor and managed to get in to the classes. Galen has works in the Smithsonian Institute.

This was about 8 years ago. Since then I have been learning from books and by trial and error. Last summer, I went to Arrowmont School of the Arts and became a Master Marbler. I am always learning something new. Most recently, I learned how to do Tiger eyes or Sunspot.
I put my art under glass and make jewelry that is very unique.

It is my hope and prayer to be able to retire from my full time job in the medical field someday (I am now 65) and travel the country doing shows and meeting lovely people. I dream of the time i can paint during the day! I would love to travel to the International Marblers conventions held around the world. 

Meet Ryan Muse from Ryan’s Birdhouses...
My name is Ryan Muse and I live in Pickerington Ohio with my wife Deidra and my dog Sloopy. I have a great job at The Buckeye Ranch working with troubled youth. We love to go camping on weekends and have camp fires!
 
I started building bird houses this past winter out of boredom. People loved the birdhouses so I started selling them.
When I was young, my grandpa and I would build small wooden toys and birdhouses together. I believe I found my creativity and love for woodworking through those little projects with my grandpa. This will be my first craft show and I am very excited!

Meet Katie Roush of Katie’s Ooak Dolls...
My name is Katie Roush and I am a self taught doll maker but learned to sew from my Grandmother. We would spend hours at the old black Singer machine. I took to it rather quickly.  I now have branched out into a new line called Pawsh Pets. So, in addition to my soft sculpted character dolls and pet portrait dolls, I make clothing, pet carriers and leash sleeves for your well loved fur babies. You can visit my work on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/katiesdolls/
My youngest daughter, Krystle, loved to craft and create with me, especially the dolls. When she died three years ago, I started sewing again, doll making, as a way to heal. I took my love of a hobby and turned it into something unique. Her memory also has inspired me to launch Pawsh Pets. She loved to dress up my dogs and cats.  I am an animal lover so, creating these things for fur babies is pure joy for me. My pet portrait dolls are exactly that, a portrait painted on muslin that becomes an heirloom. I have clients as far away as the U.K. with these whimsical works of art.
I see something in my head, and my hands just create it. I also get inspired by fabric. I see a certain pattern or style and I just have to do something with it. I love to take a pattern and just run with it. Patterns are like recipes, a starting point. I just add to it as the doll or outfit comes alive. 

2016 Columbus Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, June 11, 2016
 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN


No comments:

Post a Comment