Thursday, February 4, 2016

Show Season Is Here!

Meet Sherman Dellanbach from Rusty Buckeye Jewelry...
My name is Sherman Dellanbach and I have been doing this since I was little, about 9 or 10. When it comes to my craft, I love being able to have something that I created in the end. Being able to say "I made it".
I got into my craft through my mother! When I was younger, my mom got me plastic pony beads, and I've been making jewelry ever since. I discovered my talent after I took a few jewelry classes in high school. I realized it was actually something that I could take seriously. 

When it comes to my creative process, I really just buy everything (pendants, beads, chains) that I'm attracted to, lay it all out and see what looks good together. 
My five year goal is that I would really like to have a steady Etsy shop. I want to be able to make enough to start thinking about opening my own storefront. 

When it comes to my work, the message behind it is that  I really want people to have something that means something to them, and that they can relate to.


Meet Joe Buzolith from Kelnjo Jewelry...
Hi, I am a 69 year old gentleman who has to keep busy. I have a bachelors degree in business and marketing and work full time as a senior software support analyst for the third largest software company in the world.

While that work is interesting and requires creativity, there is nothing tangible at the end of the day. I think that drove my need to find a different creative channel.
I am new to jewelry making and just started my hobby in July of 2015. I have always liked to watch jewelers work when I went to shows in the past and decided to try it out. I bought the tools and raided the library and internet for instructions and here I am!
My first show was a three day festival in Hocking Hills shortly after I got my vendor license. I only had 10 pieces for sale, sold 6 and received a lot of positive feedback. I was hooked!

I have only participated in one Avant-Garde show, the last show of 2015.  I have participated in other shows since starting my business in July and have exceeded my expectations for 2015!
I specialize in sterling silver and 14k gold jewelry with genuine gemstones. My goal is to offer something genuine and unique at a reasonable price while enjoying the shows and my new hobby.   

I think that it is too soon to define my creative process and message behind my jewelry. I look at the materials I have available to work with, think of what I could do with them to make something I like and put it all together.  I hope others will enjoy the jewelry as much as I do making it!
I really love to meet people at the shows and talk about my jewelry.  I learn a lot from potential customers and other vendors at the shows and get ideas that may lead to another interesting piece of jewelry. I would like to grow this hobby into a business over the next five years to be a retirement supplement.

Meet Sandra Zegar and Lois Brown...
My name is Sandra Zegar. I am a happily married women with three beautiful children. I was born in Jerusalem and I grew up in South America. I moved to Ohio 19 years ago and I am very happy to be a part of the Ohio culture. 
I have always been crafty, and enjoy making beaded jewelry in my spare time. My inspiration comes from the encouragement of my co-workers and the support and love of my family. 

I started making jewelry as a way to support some of my causes including breast cancer, lymphoma, animal welfare and other charities. A portion of each item I sell goes to one of these worthy charities. 
My name is Lois Brown. I am a happily married woman who has recently retired from a 40 year nursing career. My parents moved to Ohio when I was 2 years old from North Carolina. 

I have always enjoyed crafting and hobbies. I made all my own clothes in high school and most of them in college. I was always involved in making crafts to sell as I was a part of Job’s Daughters and the DeMolay boys for many years. We always were looking for crafts to make and sell to help sponsor our charities or activities. 

My obsession with metal smithing began about eight years ago when I took my first class at the Columbus Cultural Arts Center as a stress reliever from my job in the NICU. Since then I’ve been hooked on learning new and improving my skills.
I am inspired by nature, color, and people. My drive comes from my family, co-workers, and people who admire the pieces I make and wear. I feel that it is important to keep your hands and creative mind active as you age to remain mentally sharp and physically active.
Since I just retired I decided that it is time to forge ahead with my jewelry making business. Sandra and I meet by accident a few months ago and decided that we could make a good team. Our styles of jewelry are different and yet complement each other well. 
We would like to get involved in some craft and art shows in the coming year and see if we can make this a working business together. Art and jewelry are a mental and physical outlet and inspiration for new and more creative endeavors.

Meet Jackie Ayres from PeaceLoveShibori...
I am a wife and mother to a 9 year old boy, Jackson and our 2 wild boxers, Max and Milo. I have been in Columbus since 1998. I was fortunate to have gotten my Fashion Design Degree from the Columbus College of Art and Design. I have been in corporate retail design for 15 years. I am a Design Manager by day and a creative dyer by night (and weekends)!

I learned how to do surface design when I was in school at Columbus College of Art and Design. I started dying again in 2014 and didn't really do much with it. I picked it back up and threw myself into it mid-2015. I started doing art shows, craft fairs, etc. at the end of 2015. I opened my Etsy shop January 1, 2016.
I am inspired by color, I love it! I love the entire dying process and doing something hands-on vs. on a computer.

After I threw myself back into dying, I started creating more and more items. The ideas just kept coming. I realized I couldn't keep them all! I was excited to share with friends and family what I had been working on. After the great response from them, I was encouraged to look for new avenues to share my pieces.

I feel like I am still discovering my talent. As a child I enjoyed drawing, arts and crafts. I loved my "Sew Perfect" sewing machine. In my school years, my interest in art and creating continued and I knew I wanted to go to college to study Fashion Design.
As for my creative process, I am constantly researching trends and colors. I get a lot of inspiration from trend blogs, magazines, the internet, Instagram and Pinterest. I also research dying techniques, I love experimenting with new color combinations and dye techniques.

In 5 years I hope that my business will have grown enough so I can quit my day job and focus on my business full time! 
My message through my work is that I want to not only create beautiful pieces, but quality pieces as well. There is alot of "stuff" out there to wear or to have in your home and I want mine to be special for you. That is why I use all natural fibers such as Silk, Cotton, Rayon, Rayon Bamboo, and Linen. Natural fibers feel great on and take the dye fantastic! They also are very durable. I also use professional grade dyes, chemicals, and detergents.

                                  
2016 Columbus Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, March 5, 2016
 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd

Columbus, OH 43221

For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com

Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment