Monday, February 22, 2016

Meet the Columbus Crafters!

Meet Lott Carter from Ohio Dynasty...
My name is Lott Carter and I have been in the apparel business for five months. I have two amazing kids and also have 16 years of experience as a middle school math teacher in the Columbus City Schools. 
 I enjoy making clothes that people love wearing, and that are affordable! I've always been a huge fan of Homage and Lamp Apparel, along with Ohio sports. Originally, my line was called "Third String Dynasty," after the Ohio State football team won a national championship with a third string quarterback. After football season, I transitioned into "Ohio Dynasty." 
Ohio Dynasty is apparel for Ohioans. The apparel is super high quality, yet affordable at the same time. I like plain, simple design with super quality garments. I like to sample pieces and pick the softest and highest quality. From there, I try to design something that would fit nicely on each particular piece. This will be Ohio Dynasty's first Avant-Garde event! 

Meet Hillary Martin from Hill's Handmade Candles...
I am a chemist by day and a candle-maker by night! I currently work full-time as a scientist. I love my job but I need a creative outlet, too. This may seem strange, as art and science are often painted as opposites, but I can't imagine one without the other. Candle-making has provided me with a way to fulfill my passion for both. 
I'm still fresh into the candle-making business! I started my shop in August 2015. This will not only be my first Avant-Garde craft show, but my first craft show ever! 
Memories inspire me. I love creating candles that evoke nostalgia in my customers. I particularly love creating flower scented and painted candles. My creative process is quite simple actually. I find a scent that I think sounds delicious, and, if it smells as good as it sounds, I find a fun way to package it. 
The message behind my work is relaxation. We are a nation of workaholics, and if my candles can help a person unwind after a long day and take them back to a happy memory, I have done my job. 

Meet Kit Aikin from Lincoln Street Design...
Professionally, I am a social scientist. Lincoln Street Design is my creative outlet for jewelry and fiber works. I fabricate Memento Mori and other jewelry using recycled hardware, hammered copper, silver and brass, found objects, natural semi-precious gemstones, and antique portraits.
My jewelry design is self-taught. I wanted something different than the jewelry I was seeing in stores, so I began making my own. I started making jewelry at Oberlin College in 1980's. I stopped for awhile to finish my doctorate in psychology and started back up again in 2010. This will be my fourth Avant-Garde show! 

My brain is always full of ideas. I carry a sketchbook with me at all times so I can jot them down. I am especially inspired by the costumes and accessories in old movies, photos, and vintage stores. Because I am using pieces and parts gleaned from a variety of sources, each finished work is one of a kind.
My creative process is a combination of science and spontaneity. I ask myself how seemingly unrelated items might fit together. I am constantly looking for connections, trying to see old things in new ways. The message behind my work is that nothing is too broken or too strange to be beautiful. Everyone deserves a piece of joy. 

2016 Columbus Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, March 5, 2016
 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment