Tuesday, December 11, 2018

The Big Day Is Getting Near!

Meet Cathy & Kayleigh Hanlin from Empowered Minds...
We are a mother and daughter team who created Empowered Minds with the mission to assist kids from around the world in creating a foundation of self-acceptance, self-love and confidence.  We have a passion for assisting others in becoming the best version of themselves so they can to live in a beautiful state and inspire others to do the same. J.O.Y. (Just Own You) Journal is designed for girls to discover your unique self through engaging and guided activities. This creative journal, through kid-friendly illustrations and innovative activities, allows kids to discover self-acceptance and self-love at your own pace. We have been supporting others for 2 years now. Our J.O.Y. Journal was just published in September 2018. 
Through her own personal development journey, Cathy discovered the Joy in her life and immediately thought, “What if I had known this stuff when I was younger?  How different would my life have been?”  She made it a mission to share her discoveries with children (of all ages).   Kayleigh and Cathy have always had a special bond built from the challenges of Kayleigh being born with multiple heart defects and defying the odds in every way to create a life of strength and appreciating the gift of life daily. We love not only being together and learning but also being able to bring the creative side of us out in our work.  We created the J.O.Y. Journal to bring more positivity into the world and to provide young girls an outlet to begin developing self-love and confidence.  We love providing the opportunities for parents or guardians to spend time with their children building the foundation of confidence and self-love.

Meet Heather Cervantes from Arrowhead Bowtique...
My name is Heather Cervantes. I have been married for 10 years, and we have 3 children. I currently have a separate full-time job, but craft every night and weekend that I can. My goal is to have my crafting become my full-time job. I not only do hair bows and accessories, but have a variety of creative skills including silk-screening, light woodworking, ceramics, glassblowing, drawing, painting, weaving, sewing…the list goes on!
I’ve been a creator my entire life. It’s what makes my soul happy. As far as bows, though, after graduating college, I really began trying to make creating be my career. I’ve always had the desire to create. I feel like if I don’t have a physical something made that you can hold in your hand, that I haven’t been productive that day. I’ve always had an affinity for color. Making bows gives me an outlet to be bright and colorful; I’ve never thrived with white walls. I do a lot of searching for DIY on Pinterest. I also find myself scrolling through pages and pages of different ribbons and materials on Etsy, and other materials websites. I would much rather support a small business than big box store/mass producer on my materials.
My 5 year plan is to be successful enough in growing the business that I am able to leave the corporate world and make this my full-time job. It’s very important for me to show my kids that they can make their passions their full-time career-be happy working, doing what they love. I want to bring that little splash of color and individuality into the every day. I love seeing girls walk past my booth and their eyes light up with all the bright colors and sparkly gems. Beyond just bows, too, I’ve never felt that art should be only hung on gallery walls in a museum. Crafts bring art into your daily life and accessible to everyone, while supporting artists who are living out their dreams.

Meet Suzie Miller from Nature's Splendor...
My name is Suzi Miller and I live in Newark Ohio. I can't believe I waited so long to start this wonderful hobby - I love it! My husband Alan and I have partnered in this journey. He cuts, tumbles, and polishes the stones and I make the jewelry. We have 3 small dogs (Lola, Lucky and Benny) and 2 cats (Wrigley and Callie). I started this particular type of jewelry making in July, 2018 and have been hooked ever since. 
It just comes naturally. I see the beauty in just about everything. I don't see just a rock, I see a piece of jewelry. If I am looking at a photgraph, I don't see just a picture, I see life and memories. I love the feeling of completion when I start something. It is an outlet for me that has always been. I work in "Corporate America" and that to me, it is just a means. I thrive when I am using my hands and being creative. For jewelry making, my talent it just happened. My daughter asked me to wire wrap a pience of flint that was given to her so she could wear it as a necklace. We went to the store, bought wire and tools and I went to work. It came naturally and from there, I was hooked. 
I don't really have a creative process. I have no idea what I am going to create until the stone/medium is in my hand and I begin to work on it. My goal is to have my own "formal" jewelry line in stores and boutiques. God created us in His image but a lot of the time,we see ourselves as just an unfinished, misshaped, dirty rock with deep crevasses. He sees us as the beautifully polished and finished person He created. This is more than just making jewelry. It is taking something in the rough form that people do not take notice of and turning it into something of beauty.

Meet Christine from Cake Master...
I live in Grove City, Ohio with my husband, 2 sons, and 3 cats.  By day I am a pastry chef.
I have been crafting for about 4 years.  It started out as Christmas gifts and turned into a hobby!
The Columbus show will be my first Avant-Garde show but I have done a couple other local shows for a few years. I get a lot of my inspiration online, but sometimes it comes from a particular button or other element.
I got started with my hobby after using some buttons I had collected to make Christmas gifts.  It was fun so I kept doing it! Over the next 5 years,I'd like to do more shows and work on keeping up my Etsy shop. There's not really a message behind my work, but I do use a lot of upcycled materials.  I'm always scouring thrift stores and antique stores for old buttons, frames, and interesting jewelry to use in my crafts.




2017 Columbus Winter Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday December 16, 2018 - 10:00am-4:00pm
Makoy Event Center
5461 Center St.
Hilliard, OH 
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN




















No comments:

Post a Comment