Friday, December 1, 2017

Meet some of our amazing Columbus vendors!!

Meet Anna Allen from Corn Husk Dolls...
My name is Anna Allen, and I am a corn husk doll artist.  I’ve always had a love for Old Time music and traditional Appalachian Mountain crafts and art.  I’m happiest when I’m creating. I have been making my dolls for about 9 years. This is my first Avant-Garde show, and I’m honored to participate.
Inspiration for my dolls comes from my Appalachian roots.  I like creating old time scenes from nature, old stories, and memories of my grandparent’s Old Time customs. My brother was an artist, and he was a great influence. I’ve always been the creative type.  As I created more corn husk dolls, my skills improved, making me realize I had a talent for it.


Each corn husk doll tells a story.  My creative process, like a story, has a beginning, a middle, and an end.  However, sometimes my dolls tell me what they want to be. My five-year goal is to have more time to devote to my craft and continue to improve. The message of my art is the importance of preserving the Appalachian culture.
 
Meet Waldena Hendrix from Pine Needle Art...
I create coiled art from long-leaf pine needles in the time-honored Native American tradition.  As a modern coiling artist, I create contemporary baskets with asymmetry, bright colors, and unexpected patterns.  Like many original Native American objects, my baskets are both beautiful and utilitarian.  I use wood, clay, natural and dyed Southern Long Leaf pine needles, waxed thread, and various embellishments to produce decorative and unique pieces.  As a descendant of both Appalachian America and the Cherokee peoples of the Tennessee Valley, my European ancestors included talented quilters, blacksmiths, clock makers, gunsmiths and painters.  I strive to continue a tradition of pride in craftsmanship. I’ve been creating pine needle art for over 14 years, but this is the first Avant-Garde show in which I have participated.
I find inspiration in nature and the unique items I find in thrift or antique stores which I upcycle into my pine needle art.I first tried creating coiled pine needle art after seeing a photo of an old coiled basket.  It required a few years to develop my skill enough to give my finished pieces as gifts and participate in art and craft shows.
I can’t say that I discovered my talent.  I was just determined to master it even if it took several years to do so. I often imagine a finished product and draw a rough sketch for inspiration.  Coiling is like meditation.  The concentration required allows me to forget all other distractions.
Although I am still employed full time, I hope I can continue and expand my creativity into my retirement. My coiled pine needle art does not send a message but exists as an example of the beautiful items one can create with nature’s bounty.
Meet Will Bezio from Art of Will Bezio...

My name is Will Bezio and I am from Columbus, Ohio where I live with my wife and 2 small children. I have a degree in Fine Arts, specializing in drawing and photography from BGSU. I also have an additional degree in Fashion Design from CCAD. 

I have been painting and photographing since college...about 17 years! This will be my first Avant-Garde show. 
I am inspired by pop culture, anything creative from fantasy books, sci-fi movies, or runway shows. I have always been creating art since I was able to pick up a pencil. I studied oil painting in Florence, Italy for a semester and fell in love with their techniques. From there it evolved into my style. 

Most of my paintings and photography are very organized and planned out. I love line work and contrast. I love what I do and will always be doing art. Not sure where it will take me but I will surely enjoy the ride. 

I love pop culture and the amazing creativity that others bring to the world. I am a huge fan and love creating something fun and beautiful that can be shared

Meet Kelli Johnson from Kelli's Crochet...
My name is Kelli E. Johnson and I am the owner and sole designer of kellij’s crochet creations. I create handmade crochet accessories that include; scarves (custom, infinity, standard style, sports team), cowls, wraps, leg warmers, ear warmers, wrist warmers, hats (beanie, kitty, slouchy), bags (clutch, hobo, messenger), pillows, throw blankets, baby blankets and afghans. This is my 3rd event but my 1st with Columbus Avant-Garde and I am beyond excited!




When I crochet, I maintain a connection to my mother who first taught me how when I was 8 years old. My first commissioned business opportunity was three years ago, when I was asked to crochet scarves that were being given as Holiday gifts. I credit that moment as being the fire that was lit in me to turn what I considered my beginner crochet skills into an actual business. My ability to transform a single strand of yarn into a handcrafted fashionable accessory is a magical and humble process.
My Facebook Crochet Groups, Youtube, Pinterest, Google searches, the yarn aisles of any craft/retail store as well as my closest friends provide me with a steady flow of inspiration. My creative process centers around yarn, yarn and more yarn. As long as I have a robust supply of yarn in my craft room/office, I will crochet until I have lost the feeling in my fingers. My greatest satisfaction with my craft comes from hearing my 4 year old granddaughter call me “Scarf Gurl”.
My five year goal is to continue to broaden my product base by creating different types of accessories that will offer me a presence throughout the four seasons. My current line caters mostly to the fall and winter months. I also want to attend as many events as my inventory will allow. I would like to sell my accessories in local boutiques and also create an online presence. I am in a constant state of growing and developing my crochet skills. I persistently learn new crochet stitches and designs from Youtube and have yet to learn how to read crochet patterns.
My message is a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt…”You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along. You must do the thing you think you cannot do”.
Custom orders are welcomed.
View more of my creations on Facebook and Instagram @ kellij’s crochet creations



No comments:

Post a Comment