Monday, November 27, 2017

We are headed your way this week, Columbus!

Meet Mark Bobulski from 'Twas Once A Tree...
‘Twas Once a Tree is a local woodworking business that started out as a hobby of mine and has grown into a dream that is coming true.  I originally started out by focusing on building fine furniture some 30 years ago.  That still is my true passion, but the smaller pieces that also make have a special place in my heart.
My other day job has been in manufacturing management for many years.  I have a keen understanding of the need for value to customers.  I have built the craft side of the business around this ideal, that we should provide a unique product, of high quality, at a fair price.  I am always looking for ways to speed up production, improve quality and increase speed to market with innovation.
The skill sets that I use in the shop range from mastering the use of century old hand planes, to the most recent purchase of computer controlled cutting equipment.  A great satisfaction comes to me in transforming an already beautiful organic medium, such as rough piece of lumber, to a useful and unique art form that is appreciated by my customer.  My satisfaction comes from the fact that someone thinks highly enough of a piece we have created, to purchase it and take it home. It is like a little piece of me has been given out.  On some of the products I make, I literally control the design and manufacturing process from the fallen tree to the finished product, even supervising the cutting of the log at the sawmill.
We have expanded to other venues, as a result of the exposure from the shows and continue to grow each year.  I want to be careful in not expanding too quickly, as I still want the emphasis on value, quality and the handmade nature of the products we produce.
Some of my favorite pieces would have to be the Ohio shaped cutting boards and the Ohio shaped coasters.  Each is unique.  We have mastered the process to a high degree of satisfaction.  Our finishing process of the butcher block cutting boards involves a 12 step process that yields a sensuous feel to the board.  
We strive always to bring innovation to the product line, building on what we have learned from our past successes (and failures).  Recently we introduced Ohio shaped folding tables, reminiscent of the old TV table.  Ours are made of solid oak and feature engravings of the buckeye leaves on them.   We are also expanding and improving our line of Ohio jewelry that we introduced last year. We are always looking for ways to feature the shape of Ohio as our customers are very passionate about the pride for Ohio.
The challenge remains in front of us, in how to continue to gain controlled growth while maintaining the craft nature.  I still want to get the same enjoyment and satisfaction for what I do.  I am striving to maintain the dream of what I truly love to do and not have it become mundane.  I don’t ever want to lose the appreciation of the God given beauty of the medium that ‘twas once a tree.

Meet Sandra Mckissick from Natalie Bliss Studio...
I've worked in the commercial art/creative world, in Design Consultancy, in an Advertising Agency, and also did Corporate Retail including Victoria's Secret. I was a Designer, a Creative Director, Marketing Director, Buyer, Program Manager, Production Manager, little bit of everything.
In 2010 a friend invited me to do a show with her. As it turns out I needed a self expression outlet! 
I have done one other Avant-Garde show... I loved it but I had some work and family responsibilities that made me step back for a few years.  My mom got me into crafting when she taught me to knit and it turned out to be good medium for me. As a young person I could draw. Went to Columbus College of Art & Design. As an adult my career in the creative world gave me confidence to try just about anything! 
My creative process can start with a pattern or an interesting fiber. I just get into it. It's very satisfying to create something! Knitting is a labor of love. It's not really about making money. I've always worked full-time and now this is for ME! Shows are like a party with activities! I meet so many interesting people. When someone loves what you make it makes it worthwhile.
I don't really have a message behind my work other than I hope people have fun with what I make. It's great when people try things on they love it! 

Meet Vivian Kammel from The Hand Letter Shop...
I started my calligraphy business on Etsy in November of 2016. This will be my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show!
The beauty of nature and how meaningful words can be made even more beautiful by the way they are written is really what inspires me. I’ve always loved to draw, but I saw how calligraphy could be used to brighten someone’s day or make a favorite quote even more special, and I wanted to add joy and value to people’s homes.
I’ve always loved to draw since I was a little girl, and I’ve tried out all kinds of styles and mediums. I love how flowers are so simple and so stunning.

I love suggestions from social media followers! Once I have an idea for florals to draw, I draw it a few times and then once I’m happy with where it is going, I freehand draw in ink on hot press watercolor paper. Then, I add color with vibrant watercolors. Lastly, I print locally with a small family owned print shop.
With lettering, I write out the entire quote to get an idea of where to place the words. Then I carefully measure out the lines and with a traditional calligraphy dip pen, I hand write the quote. In 5 years, I’d love to be more involved with weddings. I’ve done a couple so far and it has been blast!
I want to help women who feel overwhelmed with “adulting” and want to create a comfortable, happy home as they navigate things like paying the bills, making friends, and starting new jobs.

Meet Justin Highfield from Castle Keep Crafts...

We are geeky gamers that have turned our passion into art.  We have been crafting and making items for just over a year now.  It all started when Justin decided he wanted to try his hand at stained glass art.  The first piece was not perfect, but definitely sparked an interest that turned into passion.  Soon the crafting bug bit Amanda and she begin to make what we dub 'Seedy Guys' which is a plush seedy pod.  We also added some Needle-felted items that Justin's sister creates, and even started helping another young artist Kayden with starting out in the crafting world.
This will be our first Avant-Garde show. We are inspired by our dreams, our gaming, and our family and friends. Justin is a computer It professional that comes from a family that supports and values the arts.  He managed to transpose his technical skills (soldiering) into art.  Amanda has always been artistically inclined.  Her mother does pottery and painting and Amanda developed a passion for art at an early age.
Justin is methodical and tries to plan things out when it comes to glass.  Amanda is more free spirited, but does try to make mock ups and models of the items she creates so that she can better simply and make the creating process faster/easier.
We are hoping to ditch the 9-5 job in the next couple of years and do art shows, renaissance festivals, anime conventions, etc as a full time career. We bring imagination to life.  We truly value making items that make people smile and laugh.


2017 Columbus Winter Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday December 2, 2017 - 10:00am-4:00pm
Makoy Event Center
5461 Center St.
Hilliard, OH 
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment