Thursday, September 17, 2015

Columbus Fall Vendors Add Flair to Fall Season!

Meet Danielle Fredette from CalicoJoy...
Hi, my name is Danielle Fredette of CalicoJoy: Crocheted Creations. By day I study toward my PhD in Electrical Engineering, and by night I cook, visit with friends, volunteer with my local church, or curl up with my husband and a good TV show and crochet. 
I have been quick and curious to try out new crafting methods since I could read a set of instructions, and I’ve been crocheting on and off ever since two patient grandmas sat down with eager little me and taught me the basics. I’ve especially enjoyed the relaxing and rewarding nature of this particular craft in the last few years as I’ve started making gifts for friends: first snowy day hats and now baby blankets! September will bring my second participation in an Avant-Garde Art and Craft Show. I am excited to share my work locally and meet new people who enjoy similar things.
Although I absolutely enjoy the relaxation of the crafting process, my real drive to create comes from the sense of accomplishment of finishing a project with success. Beholding the finished product that I was able to translate from inspiration to imagination to reality is a lot of fun.
The CalicoJoy business really started as a hobby, and I plan to keep it that way by keeping things small. There is only so much crocheting one person can do! However, I would love to get a better feel for what people are looking for in order to better serve my little customer base. I see CalicoJoy as a huge learning opportunity for me in the basics of the great American tradition of the small business, as well as an artistic outlet.
I hope that through my work, both others and I will remember to enjoy life’s little treasures with thankfulness: colors and textures, a walk in the snow, a ball game, sweet babies, beautiful people, and the journey that gets us from here to there. I desire CalicoJoy to be a quality local business that will keep your family comfy, cozy, and in style!

Please contact me with questions/comments and check out my work on my website!


Website: www.calicojoy.com 

Meet Connie Luikart from fassetsbyCJ...
I am so excited to be participating in my very first craft show on September 26, 2015, the Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show at St. Agatha’s Parish Hall in Columbus, Ohio. Any of my neighbors, friends, or family will tell you I am obsessed with preparation since I’ve had a mock display set up already for nearly a month and I tweak it several times a day.

I am a sixty-nine-year-old gramma about to celebrate fifty years of marriage with my childhood sweetheart. An official baby boomer, I was born and raised in a small town in West Virginia. My mother was a gifted seamstress and mistress of all things crafty. She taught me so much more than the obvious required skills saying, “Connie, if you are going to do it, you are going to do it right.”

It has always been easy for me to spot “creativity” in someone else. Other people have often said I have it, but I suspected they were just being kind. These days, however, I am not so sure. Since my home is beginning to resemble a gift shop cluttered with work I have produced in the last few months, I might have to admit that I have become “creative” – or imaginative, innovative, inventive, inspired, original, or fruitful if I simply can’t accept the word “creative.”                           

My company name, fassetsbyCJ, is intentionally misspelled – hinting at my tendencies to make mistakes, misplace (lose) things, and forget names while reflecting the many facets of my personality.

I have made hand-crafted things since I was a child, inspired by my mother and her two sisters. It was an economic necessity for them to sew clothing, but their work was definitely an art that took them beyond basic seamstress skills into the beautiful world of quilting and other arts and crafts.
Until now I haven’t felt confident enough in or enjoyed any one particular craft enough to consider selling it. Just a few months ago all that changed. Still enjoying the Season’s excitement a few days after Christmas, I began to play around with some paper, fabric, scissors, and glue. Before I knew it, one corner of my living room had become a studio and I was creating non-traditional Christmas trees, angels, and owls. I tried to avoid owls. Truly, I did, but they now occupy nearly every nook and cranny of my home.  I didn’t choose them – they chose me.


Each piece of my work is original and unique and evolves as I choose the elements for the design and allow the process to flow. I think of my “characters” as coming to life as I get to know them and love them.   Typically they are born within a picture frame, either new or purchased from a thrift store and lovingly restored if need be, and usually include paper and/or fabric. Some other materials you might see are buttons, shells, jewelry, curtain rings, place cards, paint, or leather. While I comb thrift stores for supplies, I never pass up a good retail sale or turn down a friend who wants to give me some old jewelry.

I am inspired by the sheer joy of self-discovery and accomplishment. Each day brings a slightly new perspective and is met with excitement and praise, especially from my husband Darrell, my son Jeff, and my daughter-in-law Kerry. Kerry in particular likes a project I did for my best friend Barbara – a “nana tree” on which each of her five grandchildren is represented by an owl.
Kerry’s admiration of the “nana tree” led me to create one for her which I call “Kerry’s Brood.” It is so named because the owls on her tree represent more than just her four children (my grandchildren, of course) but also my grand dogs and grand cat and other children who come to her for comfort and a loving home. I plan to offer custom trees such as these as my business grows. 
Even though my creative process sometimes changes from day to day, family support motivates me to keep it going. The process often depends on my most recent shopping trip. A bag of junk jewelry might hold just one piece that will become the basic element of an angel, or possibly ten pairs of earrings that will be the eyes or even bodies of several owls – maybe even an entire collection.

I certainly didn’t see this coming five years ago, or even one year ago, and am quite unprepared to think that far ahead now. I have never done anything quite like what I am doing today – that which fits the definition of the word art (and I quote this for my own benefit): “producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.” I have enjoyed a lifetime of rewarding experiences that utilized my creative skills but not my creative gift. Today I acknowledge that creative gift and will follow wherever it leads.

If there is a message in my craft, it is to always look at the other side or the inside and “do it right” – regardless of whether it is a craft project or an idea or concept, or a person. Otherwise I might miss what is more beautiful, more desirable, or more logical.  If someone else reads this message in my work, it will be all the more gratifying.


Meet Susan Chess from Czeska Gems and Jewelry...
When someone looks at my paintings, I want them to say ‘I want to be there, I want to see what is beyond what is readily visible.' In my more surreal paintings, I have the same goal, but with the caveat that they also think ‘Why is that there? What is it for?’. 

I purposely do not put people in my paintings, because I want the viewers themselves, to be the living element of the painting along with what they see and assume.

Basically for my jewelry, I want the wearer and the viewer want to look at it again and again. I love to experiment with colors and textures, and a big part of my motivation is the process of creation and seeing the results.  For most of my jewelry, I rarely plan what the outcome will be, because I like to see how the shapes and colors unfold.


   
2015 Columbus Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment