Thursday, June 25, 2015

Summer in Columbus is Filled With Creativity and Talent!

Meet Malvin Hicks of Art by Marcus...
I was born and raised in Gary, Indiana.  I have always had a very strong interest in reading and learning about the old masters and pretty much every form of art. I have also played football for a number of years of my life including two years on the Cincinnati Bengals. I have also traveled a lot in my life. I just simply enjoy colors and turning something into nothing. I love creating and using my God given talent. 
I was 11 years old when I made my first painting. I had just seen Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh at the Museum of Art in Chicago. I asked my mom and dad for an oil paint set.  I've been painting ever since. And now I paint every day. I am always coming up with a creative solution for what my imagination forges.  This is actually one of my first shows at a public venue.
A cloud formation. A shadow. A flower. Different textures on surfaces. Literally anything can inspire me to create.  I don’t believe my work fits the craft title. But I would say that my work is very eclectic. Anyone is free to and enjoy my artwork.  I discovered my talent through determination. When I looked at Starry Night I just knew that I was capable of creating something that intense and beautiful.  The creative process can be very vivid for me. It can start from a sketch or it can start from cooking a delicious meal. For another example, when I’m painting on glass I never erase and I use that as a limit to creating.
In 5 years, I hope that I am still an independent artist working on the things that I love. I also hope that I am still creating new and fresh paintings that the masses can enjoy.  I paint what I see. Whether it’s from something I see day to day or if it’s something that pops into my head. Every now and then I will have a strong message or meaning behind my work but that’s not why I paint. I paint because I love it and other people do too.

Meet Debbie Evans of Cutesy and Fun...
My name is Debbie Evans.  I have been happily married for 40 years.  I have 4 amazing children and 7 precious grandchildren.  I have been crafting jewelry for over a year.  I thoroughly enjoy it.
This will be my first Avant-garde Art and  Craft Show.  I am very excited about being a participant.  I have always loved jewelry.  However,  I could never find a piece that was uniquely designed. I started taking the jewelry that I had previously purchased and transforming them into something unique.  My friends started complimenting me on my pieces.  
 I started creating several pieces of jewelry.  I looked online and found a craft show close to my home.  The show was so much fun.  I made new friends and extra money.  I was hooked and the rest is history.  In the next five years I see myself continuing to display my pieces at craft shows.  Who knows, I might even open a small shop.  I would also like to donate my jewelry to a women's shelter.  Everyone can use some jewelry to brighten their day.

 A sample of my jewelry can be viewed on www.cutesyandfun.etsy.com

Meet Susan Chess of Czecka Gems and Jewelry...
I am on the staff at Ohio State University in the Dance department.  I have my degrees in music, but I have done artwork for quite awhile. During my years in high school, I had a full scholarship to study drawing and painting at the Carnegie Institute of Art in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  When I was considering what I was wanting to have as a major in college, I was torn, but music came to the forefront.  At Ohio State I teach, perform for dance concerts, and I am a musician for all levels of Modern and Ballet Technique classes.   I had not painted for quite a number of years, but this year, decided to take it up again.                  
 
I also have been making jewelry for about 20 years.  I work with many types of beads, crystals, leaded chandelier glass, filigree, and many other mediums to make my jewelry.  I use finer materials such as Austrian Crystal, semi-precious stones, antique and Czeck glass and much more. 

As far as the artwork ( painting and drawing) I started painting and drawing when I was very young.  In high school (1968)  I really got interested.  The situation that moved everything forward was that my teacher submitted some of my art work to be considered for the full scholarship to Carnegie Institute of Art.  Only two people out of a given school district are chosen, and I was lucky enough to be one of the ones.  This is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show.  I came across it when I was looking for festivals where I can sell my paintings and jewelry.  I like the church shows in particular because of the atmosphere and there are many opportunities to talk to people. Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show looked like something that I was looking for, so I decided to try it out. 
I love to work with light and shadow.  Some of my work is in black and white.  Through this color scheme, I get to work with the depth and shadow in an isolated way.  What is an inspiration to me is that I want people to look at my paintings and say ' I want to be there!   I want to walk into that woods"  or " I want to go to that magic place!"
As far as my jewelry, I want it to be unique enough that when someone gives it as a gift, that the receiver definitely feels like they have received something special.  Color variety and unity are really important.  If I am having a central focus such as a pendant of sterling silver and laboradite, I want it to look like a unified piece of work that draw the eye to the center piece, but yet the surrounding beads, while providing color of their own, still honor the center of focus. 

At a very young age, I started drawing.  Drawing was the first mode of visual art that I did.   I loved to shade everything!  My parents supported me in every way possible.  At the age of 6, they bought me sketch books, water color paints, colored pencils, and pastels.  I would draw everything from scenery, magical places, to religious paintings.  The jewelry didn't come until a bit later in 1986.  I always liked looking at jewelry at stores, but would always be thinking things like ' They should have done this or this' .  Then I decided that if I'm so particular, I should begin making my own things.  So, I make earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and suncatchers. 
The fact that I like working with color and light (light in particular) was my first draw.  While some of my drawings and paintings are of places that can be real, I also like to paint dream like fantasy worlds where, once again, I want people to say 'I want to be there '

As far as the jewelry, I'll be looking at a stone that I would like as a center piece, and then start putting various beads beside it to see how the blend is.  If I am starting with the beads themselves and still want a centerpiece, then I see how the center piece can compliment the beads. 

While I will remain at my job at Ohio State, I would like to do art and craft shows.  I feel like I have something to offer, and I enjoy interacting with people.  The message behind my work really has to do with the fascination of light and texture.  Depth is very important in my work. I want my work to communicate the beauty of color, light, and shadow. 

2015 Columbus Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, June 27, 2015, 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:

1 comment: