Friday, March 6, 2015

Columbus Spring Show Vendor Spotlight Premier!

Meet Dustin Weatherby from Sculpt Decor...
I am a freelance artist currently residing in Grandview Heights, Ohio. I received my Bachelors of Fine Arts with a concentration in sculpture from Eastern Michigan University. While in college, I competed for the Eastern Michigan Ice Sculpting Team where I achieved third place at the National Ice Carving Championships in 2004. 

During the last eight years, I have worked as a Special Effects Artist and Fabricator at The Scarefactory, while also designing and sculpting over 60 pieces for weddings and promotional events. My experience includes, but is not limited to, working with different types of metals, woods, and plastics. I am best known for my attention to detail and ability to work with recycled materials.  


This will be my first Avant-Garde Arts and Crafts Show, although, I have been a sculptor for about twenty years of my life. When I was about seven years old my first exhibit was in the Logan County Fair and I had won a blue ribbon. It was then I knew I wanted to make things that people enjoyed experiencing.  
For me the most inspiring thing about the creation process is not only the freedom to produce anything, but the challenge to make it appealing to others.   

My favorite creative process, among the many I use, is taking a found object and elaborating on its features to create a conceptual work of art.  
In five years from now I see myself still making art, still juggling the balance of creativity and appeal. If there were a message behind my artwork it would be that everything is some form of sculpture, whether it is created by nature (the best sculptor), man, or creature. 

Meet Wolfgang Parker from Crime Cats...
I am the author of the children's mystery series "Crime Cats." The chapter books follow the adventures of 8-year-old superhero Jonas Shurmann as he and his partners, feline detectives CatBob and Neil Higgins, work together to solve mysteries in their Columbus neighborhood. "Crime Cats" is recommended for ages 8 to 12.   

The first book, "Crime Cats: Missing," was released April, 2014. "Crime Cats" books are set in my neighborhood of Clintonville and all of the cats in the books are real. The books have become a wonderful way of sharing the community I love with people around Central Ohio. 

I wrote the first "Crime Cats" book as a holiday gift for my 18 nieces and nephews, who all live out of state. It takes about 6 to 9 months to complete one of my novels. I am assisted by an editor and a comic book colorist, otherwise I do the writing, the illustration, and the layout and file prep for the printer. It's a very time consuming undertaking. 
In five years I hope to continue sharing my neighborhood with kids and adults alike. "Crime Cats" teaches children the value of self-worth and empathy. My goal is to help children learn to interact with cats on their own terms; hopefully fostering more rewarding—and less stressful—experiences for both.   

Meet Tiffany Elkins from Jada's Baby Steps...
I am a 29 year old married medical professional. I have a two year old son named Jordan. I just recently took the plunge into starting a crocheting business that provides a lightweight, comfortable, and affordable alternative to crib shoes. I also create accessories for babies, such as; scarves, beanie hats, and jewelry.

I have been doing this for about 2 ½ years and this will be my very first craft show.

My love for crocheting started when I was pregnant with my twins and put on strict bed rest in the hospital for four weeks. I was unable to get up and walk anywhere except the restroom. Everywhere else, I had to be pushed in a wheelchair. I could only stare at the TV for so long, so I called my friend Arlene and asked her if she could bring me something to keep me busy. She stopped at a local craft store and picked up some black yarn (black is more forgiving for rookies), and a beginners set of crochet needles and patterns. It became very therapeutic and to this day it is my form of therapy.

What inspires me to create is my daughter. I have a two year old, but he was a twin. His sister Jada passed away at six months old. She was very small and never could fit into crib shoes. The only shoes she could fit for months were these pink/white crochet shoes from the hospital. That is where the name “Jada’s Baby Steps” derived from.

My creative process involves searching for crochet patterns from styles that are currently trendy, popular, and stylish.

In 5 years or less I hope to start an reaching out to the local NICUS and offer them the things they need, such as clothes and blankets. You’d be surprised how many parents don’t get to make it to the hospital to bring their babies what they need. Also I would love to help parents of pregnancy and infant loss. The first thing that I thought when my angel was pronounced was, “Now what?” I would like to offer support to those families.
The message behind my work has been to raise awareness for pregnancy and infant loss through my daughter while providing stylish handmade affordable shoes and garments to precious bundles of joy up to 12-months.
2015 Columbus Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, March 28, 2015, 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:


No comments:

Post a Comment