Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Crafting Through Inspiration!

Meet Debbie Wright from Genoa Soap...
My name is Debbie, I’ve been a Reynoldsburg resident since 2006 and a central Ohio resident since 1984. I make quilts in addition to soap. I have been making soaps since about 1998.

I'm inspired to create for the mere fact that I have been an artist all my life.  I have a Bachelor of Fine Art in Graphic Design and a Master of Marketing and Communication.
How I got started.. I got my first my first soap kit through a crafting book club that began to offer kits of all kinds as a way to beef up its sales. My kit was made by Sunfeather in Potsdam, NY. I loved the reactions I got from my family and friends, so I was inspired to keep experimenting. I have since been lucky to meet the founder of Sunfeather, Sandy Maine, when she spoke at my daughter’s college graduation.

I make soaps that interest me and that I have had many requests for. For instance, I had been making a plain Lemongrass soap. But when a good friend asked me to put basil oil in with it, I added a green color as well and sales took off. That particular soap is a great gender neutral soap.

Where do I see myself in five years? Every year is a little different from the last, so it’s really impossible to say. I take it as it comes. My main message behind my work is that I want everyone to discover the great silky feeling of handmade soaps!

Meet Catherina Bishopp from Jewelry by Catherina...
Jewelry, as an art form, has the power to create moods, provoke opinions and produce reactions. At her studio. this is the design philosophy that New York based jewelry designer Catherina Bishopp follows in creating and developing her own unique collection of jewelry. 

Although she uses precious stones and metals in her work, the design is of much greater importance to Catherina than the intrinsic value of the materials she works with. Her ultimate goal is evoking humor, whimsy and rare imagination through the use of striking color and inventive design in each of her pieces, which is what gives Catherina her signature look.
Catherina has lived and worked in New York City, Los Angeles, Miami, The Netherlands, France, UK, Trinidad and Tobago, and now in Columbus, Ohio. This close view of other cultures and people gives Catherina a diverse perspective on her own designs and a greater appreciation of other artists' abilities. Today, Catherina continues to be inspired by this experience as she brings her special touch to the creation of memorable jewelry which compliments a women's beauty.

Meet Jennifer Robillard from Toasty Barker Boutique...
Hello!  My name is Jenni Robillard and I live in Dayton, OH with my husband and two daughters and three Dachshunds.  In October of 2014, I left my full time job in finance to have the once in a lifetime chance to do something really amazing.  Small business ownership!  I am now teaching piano lessons and running my online shop, the Toasty Barker Boutique out of our home!

I love to craft anything and everything, but by far my favorite thing to do is make Mason jar luminaries and seasonal arrangements. I garden and can as much of my families food as possible, so many people over the years have gifted me their Mason jar collections.  I was having trouble downsizing my collection, because I adore the history that comes from those old, tired jars. I realized that I had to do SOMETHING with all of these jars, so one afternoon in the fall I sat down with an old pint size Kerr jar, a scrap piece of lace, burlap and twine…and the Toasty Barker Boutique was born.   
On a whim, I did my first craft show in November, just to see what it was like.  I sold out of my Holiday jar arrangements!  I have been full steam ever since then, and loving it.

This will be my first Avant-Garde show.  A friend who attended the Holiday show in Columbus told me, this is a show you MUST do!  So here I am!  I have been a crafty person all my life, but never had the time to do anything with it.
I am inspired by nature constantly.  I love all four seasons here in the great Ohio and you will see me collecting acorns and pine cones like a mad woman in the fall.   It’s important to me to use supplies that I find in our local park when crafting.  It’s all a local effort in my shop!  I love color, lots of it…design and when rustic charm meets glamorous bling. 
My five year goal? I dream of a small store front someday, but we will just wait and see what happens.  I have learned to just let go, relax and trust that everything IS going to work out just the way it was meant to.  

Meet Debbie Hogue from Creative and Chic...
 Hi my name is Debbie Hogue. I am a stay at home mom. I am married to my wonderful husband and we have four beautiful children.

I have always love art and creating things, so when I needed to decorate my children's bedrooms, that's when I discovered how much I love painting, sewing and decorating.

There are so many thing that inspire me. My kids, nature and I try to keep up on what's trending.

Being a stay at home mom I have to decorate on a budget. So that's when I started seeing my own pillows, curtains and painting my own art work. Friends and family have always encouraged me to sell my pillows and other creations. So I'm taking there advice and doing my first arts and craft show. I will be selling hand sewn and painted pillows and in the future there will be more creative and chic creations.
In five years I hope to have my own boutique selling all my creations. The message behind my work is you can be on a budget and still have a beautiful home!
2015 Columbus Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, March 28, 2015, 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment