Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Columbus, these crafters are bringin' the heat! (Since Mother Nature hasn't yet!)

Meet Georgi Silvia of Patsy Ann's...
My name is Georgi, I am a full time college student, part time waitress, intern, and now a small business owner. I was raised by two amazing women, my mother and my grandmother, that have taught me how to craft and have inspired my creativity. I love celebrating and decorating for  holidays, trying new DIY projects, and baking up a storm in the kitchen. Currently I reside in Northeast Ohio while going to school for Public Relations, but I’m originally from Columbus where most of my family lives. As a college student, I’m always finding ways to save money on holiday and home decorations.
Named after my grandmother, who is my biggest role model and where I get my creativity, I started Patsy Ann's in January 2014 and this is will be my first time as a vendor with Avant-Garde! My creativity comes from the love I have of celebrating holidays and the excitement with the arrival of each one. Being able to make my own adds a personal touch and makes a home that much more welcoming.
Growing up, my mom and grandma were always doing their own projects and soon got me into crafting at a young age. I can remember making dolls out of soap bottles and wooden spoons with my grandma and doing crafts with my mom and a neighborhood friend when I was little. Still to this day, we share craft ideas and give homemade gifts for birthdays and holidays. Because we share that special connection, it makes the gift that much better.Growing up in a creative family, I always knew I had a talent. 

With the interchangeable wreaths (one wreath that allows for the flowers to be switched on an off throughout seasons), it started with trying to find a birthday gift for my Mom. After ours of searching, the idea just hit me: Why have different decorations for each season and waste not only money but storage space when you can have a single item that you can customize for every season, holiday, or team? Well Mom loved her gift, and I figured I could share it with everyone else! 
In five years I would love to still be doing shows with Patsy Ann's and opening up an Etsy shop. I'd like to expand my merchandise and include other home decor items and possibly accessories. The possibilities are endless!

The message behind my creations is CELEBRATION! Day to day activities can get very boring, so you have to find something every day to celebrate. Whether it be a new job, buying that cute pair of shoes, or even just that the sun was shining, you have to find the good in every day.

Meet Mindy Drobnick of Spellbinding Eccentricties...
I am a stay at home mom with two children. I love spending time with my family and working with my hands, which includes everything from gardening and crafting to drawing and writing. There's a lot of scrubbing involved as well, but at least i get to work with my hands. Being a stay at home mom helps me do the things I love to do all the time. I especially like getting my children involved in the fun. Luckily they don't have any qualms about getting dirty like me. I have been crafting since I was old enough to use a needle. I started just sewing, which is still one of my favorite things to do, but over the years I have employed many different types of crafts. I am constantly trying new things because I also love to learn as much as possible, not just crafts. Every year the list gets longer because there are just too many things to learn. I have never attended an Avant-Garde craft show and I am very excited to come and meet new people!
My biggest inspiration to create would be the idea of being what you want to be. I have always been a very unique individual and I like to see others express themselves, crafting is a way I encourage others to do this. After years of sewing I would more and more see the beauty in everyday items and things most people would throw out. I suppose I am somewhat of a pack rat but if I see a bit of beauty in an object I will keep it to see what I can create with it.
When I keep an object for use others have asked me why or what could I possibly do with that, and sometimes I thought that myself. However after playing around with things I realized I can see beauty in what seemingly has none. And now crafting has definitely opened my eyes to things in the world once thought of as not worth looking at. Sewing started as a hobby which then lead to other types of crafting but if I've had a particularly rough day sewing serves as a type of meditation for me. It calms me and helps me clear my head. When I don't know what to make I just start drawing or manipulating materials to see what I come up with. Sometimes it yields no new ideas but it still helps me feel better.
When it comes to my business, I love doing it and I would like to see it prosper more, however I just love making things that make people happy and can brighten their day. As long as I can do that I am happy no matter where I am in the progression of my business. If I had to say what the message you should get from my work is, it would be to be happy, have fun like you were five again, try and see the beauty in mundane things because if it is mundane it is just undiscovered inspiration.

Meet Lorna Salvatore of Lorna Maes Interpretazione...
My name is Lorna Salvatore I’m 23 years born and raised in the suburbs of Cleveland. I’m currently working full time at Bon Appetit in the retail department. I also work for Lyft, which is like a taxi on demanded service for people that need a ride. I do online schooling at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online Division. I’m very close to getting my associates in Graphic Design only couple more classes. Than the plan is to find a job, and go back for my bachelors.
I’ve also been an artist for as long as I can remember. I use to doddle all the time in school and art was my favorite subject. In middle school, I started to sketch designs of clothing thinking that one day I would be a fashion designer. I really thought that is what I wanted to do by my Junior year. I have tons of sketches books with just fashion ideas in them. 

However I knew that that was not the path for me. After high school, I went straight to work and didn’t go to college so I lost my feeling for the arts. I didn’t really get back into art till I started doing online classes. About two years ago, one of my favorite bands called Every Avenue came out with an album called Bad Habits. The album had song on it called Fall Apart, every time I listened to that song I felt what he was saying. Then one day after listening to it, I got this image of a broken heart falling apart from the inside out. I had some empty bottles that I took from work I wanted to use them but didn’t know for what. When I got that image in my head I went to the garage and got the bottles, then I started breaking the bottles with a hammer. Bought a canvas drew a heart and started glueing pieces of glass to the canvas. Three hours later, I made a heart breaking from the inside. A heart that was just feeling pain, I created what the artist was saying.
So that's what inspires me to create, music and feeling. To me music is my life and what gets me through a lot of stuff. Music is what makes you understand what you are feeling; having those lyrics to listen to be like oh this artist gets me. When I say feeling inspires, what I mean by that is I but what I’m feeling at that moment in that art work. I want the viewer to feel what I was feeling when I listening to a song or what I went through that day in time. Music got me into art, without it, I wouldn't be making it. 

I would describe my creative process as random. I don’t go out looking for inspiration. Most of my inspiration comes from music, I could have listened to one song 20 times, but by the 21st time I will get an idea in my head. When I get that image in my head, I can’t get it out till I draw it on the canvas. Then when I’m working on the art, my first idea is not also my last. When I work I have more images popping in my heading telling me that it should look like this. My creative process is random and not planned.   
The message behind my work is emotion. When you look at my work I want you to feel what the artists felt when he or she wrote the song. I want the viewer to relate that feeling to something in there life. I want my work be an emotion that you can’t shake. I'm excited to be apart of the Avant-Garde shows for the very first time this Spring! 

Meet Ashley Sperry of AES Aesthetics...
My name is Ashley Sperry,  I've always made crafts and gone to craft shows but it wasn't until a year ago that I actually created my crafting business (AES aesethics).  I had just graduated with my second college degree and was looking for a job as a registered nurse.  Nothing like unemployment to spark creativity! This will be my first Avant Garde craft show!  I'm looking forward to it. 

AES aesthetics focuses on upcycled crafts.  This process is about transformation and being resourceful, it's about taking something you already have and making it more beautiful and more useful. The message behind my work is to think outside the box a little bit,  one person's trash can be another's treasure. I hope to convey a sense of fun and style with my work. 
In five years, I hope to be able to craft shows on a much more regular basis and to have expanded my line into more boutiques, and to have a greater web presence. I also hope I'm trying all kinds of new things and that I never stop exploring!



2014 Columbus Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show

Saturday, May 10th, 2014, 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221

For more information, contact Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment