Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Time to Treat Yourself!

Meet Amy Todd from DayDream Mania…
My name is Amy Todd. I am  happily married and a mother of 3. I am a customer service rep for an online contact lens retailer. I grew up in Hilliard Ohio, and still live there today!
The Avant-Garde show with be my first ever craft show and I am very excited! I am so grateful a friend of mine heard of this event and sent me the information to get started.
I started doing this craft at the end of 2013. I was looking for crafts to do with my youngest child over her  winter break from school. I found a You Tube video of a lady making rings out of painted glass domes. I loved the way they looked and the materials were so simple to find. The problem was I couldn't find little rings to fit my 7yr daughter. I got the idea to make necklaces out of them instead. We had a blast working on them together and giving them away for Christmas. She went back to school and I never quit making them!
Crafts are a way for me to channel my energy in to something good, creative, and fun. I want to make things that are fun and different and can be enjoyed on a daily basis.  I think it is important to "Be Bold, Be Bright, Be Beautiful." Why?, you may ask... I say, Why Not.
This upcoming event is just the very start for me. I have no expectations, and I'm not yet sure what path I am taking with this. I just want people to enjoy my work as much as I have enjoyed creating it.  

Meet Celeste from Malvar=Stewart …
I am a fashion designer by formal training.  However, because of my deep fascination with textiles, I have spent many years exploring various natural materials, using them in new ways to interpret my vision. I’ve been doing this for over 20 years now and this will be my first Avant-Garde Show!
I am inspired by the beauty found in unexpected places...an old sponge, a rotting pumpkin, my wrinkled hands.  The textures that can be mimicked from our surroundings onto fabric and form are endless and enchanting.  Moreover, the people who have the courage to create are ALWAYS an inspiration to me!
I inadvertently came into the craft world by exploring different mediums that I wanted to use in my high-end fashion line.  I think that the word "craft" is beginning to evolve into something different from what we've categorized it to be in the last 10 years.
Talent is illusive; I still seek to discover it. I begin with the essence of what I want to create.  Then I add the form. In five years I see myself with a small retail space in my new studio building and adding one-of-a-kind unconventional wedding gowns and accessories to my line.
Explore and be mindful! Explore areas where you don't normally go; areas of yourself that you don't normally see; do all this while being mindful of the impact that your actions have on your surroundings and therefore yourself.

Meet  Dawn from Flo’s Natural Bath & Accessories…
My name is Dawn Fulkerson, my childhood best friend Candi and I created Flo's Natural Bath & Accessories. We have been actively doing this for a little over a year but this will be our first Avant-Garde Show.
What inspires me to create all natural soap and lotion is that so many people have sensitivities and allergies and I wanted to hive them something natural AND fun they can enjoy with fun scents!

I have always loved a long nice bath and spent too much on the goodies to do that ! Plus I'm allergic to lots of store bought items.


My Great Grandma and my Grandma both made all the soap for their families so I come from a long line of soapers! My process is to just shut off the world and create! It's my biggest stress release!
In 5 years I would love to be featured in stores, but still small enough to have integrity. Our message is to be yourself! Have fun with whatever you create and don't be afraid to ask for what you want! 


2014 Columbus February Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show

Saturday, February 8, 2014, 10:00am-4:00pm

St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221

For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment