Thursday, February 6, 2014

All Roads Lead To New Talents For These Artists

Meet Tracie Bayer from Blessed Beginnings…
My name is Tracie Bayer. I have a wonderfully supportive family. I was a pediatric nurse for 7 years until I was diagnosed with 2 major illnesses that caused me to have to stop practicing nursing. 
So about 5 years ago my grandmother taught me how to sew, and I found out that I loved it, just as she always had! I sewed with my grandmother until she passed away a couple of months ago, when I inherited her sewing machine, and I have since taken on quilting. This will be my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show.
I am most inspired by my 7 year old son. He has an amazing eye for color and fabric combinations, and he loves picking out decorative stitches on my machine for my projects. I especially enjoy creating children's items and fun blankets for kids. 
I love looking through fabric remnants and finding pieces that match that I can quilt together in fun designs. In the future, I would like to spend more time learning and practicing new sewing and quilting techniques.

Meet Amy Piel-Glass from Out of the Moon…
I'm Amy, and I'm 55 going on nine.  Married 28 years, husband very patient.  And intelligent.  And funny.  3 cats, 1 dog, 4 fish.  Figure like the Venus - of Willendorf. Ex-amateur Middle-Eastern dancer, current amateur mycologist. Vegetarian, cookbook collector, and lover of travel, camping, and canoeing. I've been crafting for about 19 years. This is my first Avant-Garde Show, and I'm looking forward to it!
 Color, more color, and curiosity all inspire me to create.  Color's the starting line - it's the constant "What if?" that moves things forward. I blame a Bloomington, IN bead shop with an earring bar for my creativity.  Buy parts, assemble on the spot, take home.  A half-dozen pairs of earrings later, I was literally hooked. Julie, the owner of a then-tiny basement bead shop in Fort Wayne, IN, mentored me and got me into my first show.
My creative process is messy, messy, messy!  Start, take apart, re-start, pull hair, roam the workshop, look in every drawer, pull out 10 other things to try, then re-arrange until it's just right.
In five years I see myself still at it, like marriage, for better or worse. Enjoy yourself and celebrate every day.

Meet Carol Wass from Studio Wass…
I have always loved arts and crafts. After attending a prestigious art college straight out of high school for a year or so, I got a job in real estate and somehow became lost in time.  
Every now and then my artistic side would pop out.  A few years ago our daughter asked me if I would help design her wedding invitations!! WOW.  I did many sketches and finally created a pen and ink illustration that she loved.  I felt so honored.  Now, I can't keep ideas from popping out of my head. 
I only have a chance to dabble in this around my full time job but hope that someday I can spend more time creating new things.  I have expanded into jewelry making and continue to learn new techniques and design.  
As any artist will tell you it's about passion and creating things that you love and hope that others love them too. I've been doing this for about five years and this will be my 3rd Avant-Garde Show.

Sometimes I just get ideas in my head and have to get them out. I have always been an artists in some form since middle school. I would describe my creative process as a work in progress. I will start on a design and it will change during the process. 
I love what I do and hope to have more time in the future to create and sell. Generally I make what I like to wear or use and figure someone else may like it too.

Meet Carmencita from Gracelle Jewelry…
I’m Carmencita and originally from the Philippines.  I have 4 children and the youngest is in 7th grade. I have been a homemaker for more than 20 years now. As my children are getting older I began to find ways to fill up my time whether it was working out more or attending more seminars for improving myself. 
Since I had more time up in my schedule I wanted to try new hobbies. The question that was constantly wandering through my mind was “what do I want to do now? Should I try something new?” I ventured out and continued to look for something that might be my passion. I realized it was never about looking. Once you know what your passion is you will feel it in your gut and that is when I realized jewelry making was my passion.
I founded and created the company Gracelle Jewelry a year and a half ago. At first I created jewelry as a hobby. I experimented on different media, including leather, glass, metal, acrylics. Through growth and experience my inspiration truly comes from my customers. Their stories and experiences really impact my jewelry making. That’s why there is always a story behind a piece of jewelry I create.
Jewelry making all started when my daughter Isabelle wanted to go to a jewelry lesson at Joann’s Fabrics. She needed to be accompanied by an adult. So I decided to go with her to the lesson. After that first lesson, I started creating jewelry. I made many fumbles and mistakes as created my jewelry, but that’s the art of learning. I started to create more complicated pieces to the point where even my friends and family kept asking me where I got my jewelry. They would always be surprised when I told them I created this piece. They would contact me and they would ask me to create this type of necklace for them. That is how my company started to slowly grow.
My creative process is through inspiration. Everywhere I go and experience I am inspired by. Its not only the place, but it could also be the people that sparks my creativity. I also started to fundraise for different non-profit organizations since May 2012.   Today Gracelle Jewelry was able to donate over $3,000.00 to different charities and non-profit organizations including the American Red Cross for the typhoon Haiyan victims in Philippines.
This is my first time participating in the Avant-Garde Art & Craft Shows, I’m excited to be part of their events  because of their goal of helping organizations raise funds too.
For more information on our handmade products visit our website atwww.gracellejewelry.com and for up-to-date news and new items visit our Facebook page: Gracelle Jewelry.


2014 Columbus February Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show

Saturday, February 8, 2014, 10:00am-4:00pm

St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221

For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment