Friday, January 24, 2014

These artists love what they do, and they do it for you!

Meet Carmencita Sansait from Garcelle Jewelry...
I’m Carmencita and originally from the Philippines.  I have four children and the youngest is in the seventh grade. I have been a homemaker for more than 20 years now. As my children were getting older, I began to find ways to fill up my time such as working out or attending more seminars for improving myself. Since I had more time up in my schedule, I wanted to try new hobbies. The question that was constantly wondering through my mind was,  “What do I want to do now? Should I try something new?” I ventured out and continued to look for something that might be my passion. I realized it was never about looking. Once you know what your passion is, you will feel it in your gut and that is when I realized jewelry making was my passion.
I founded and created the company Gracelle Jewelry a year and a half ago. At first I created jewelry as a hobby. I experimented on different media including leather, glass, metal and acrylics. Through growth and experience, my inspiration truly comes from my customers. Their stories and experiences really impact my jewelry making. That’s why there is always a story behind a piece of jewelry I create. 
Jewelry making all started when my daughter Isabelle wanted to go to a jewelry lesson at Joann’s Fabrics. She needed to be accompanied by an adult, so I decided to go with her to the lesson. After that first lesson, I started creating jewelry. I made many fumbles and mistakes as created my jewelry, but that’s the art of learning. I started to create more complicated pieces to the point where even my friends and family kept asking me where I got my jewelry. They would always be surprised when I told them I created the piece. They would contact me and they would ask me to create this type of necklace for them. That is how my company started to slowly grow.
I started to fundraise for different non-profit organizations since May 2012. So far, Gracelle Jewelry was able to donate over $3,000 to different charities and non-profit organizations including the American Red Cross for the typhoon Haiyan victims in Philippines.
This is my first time participating in the Avant-Garde Art & Craft Shows, I’m excited to be part of their events  because of their goal of helping organizations raise funds too. For more information on our handmade products, visit our website at www.gracellejewelry.com and for up-to-date news and new items visit our Facebook page: Gracelle Jewelry.

Meet Elaine Silveira from Una Tia Especial..
I’m a lawyer by day. I practice labor and employment. I am also a Mary Kay beauty consultant. I’ve lived in Columbus since 1996 when I moved here from Miami, Florida to attend law school. I recently adopted a precious yorkie-poo named Rosie. I’ve been making jewelry since 2009 and recently started crocheting.
I got started making this jewelry when a friend of mine sent me a car charm to hang from my rear view mirror for my birthday and I thought to myself, “Hey, I can do that!” I then went to Joann’s and bought a beginning jewelry kit. I discovered my talent in a process of elimination. When I started making jewelry, I gave it to my best friend and she received many compliments on it.  She encouraged me to pursue my business. An outfit has been the inspiration for many jewelry pieces.  With the yarn work, I see a hat or scarf that I like and I learn how to make it.
This will be my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show! I want to someday branch out into local shops. "Everybody deserves a little bling in their life!" 

Meet Beth Heyer from My Cre8ive Outlet...
My husband Geoff and I live in Bexley, Ohio with our two pups Aldo & Bunson.  I work as a Sales Recruiting Trainer at Kimball Midwest and volunteer/mentor with Franklin County Children's Services. 

I worked with a non-profit My Very Own Blanket for several years. They make blankets for children in foster care.  I had sewn only a little prior to that.  It is safe to say that over three or so years with them, I made over 100 quilts and tops.  Having the opportunity to practice, experiment and try things, I didn't think I was talented enough to do made me realize that maybe I am actually pretty good at sewing!
I just recently opened my Etsy shop, My Cre8ive Outlet, and this is my second bazaar and my second Avant-Garde Show! 

In five years, would love to have a successful Etsy shop, attend a dozen craft bazaars a year and be able to consider My Cre8ive Outlet a real part-time job.

Meet Jeff Borda from Handcrafted by JB..
I retired after 35 years as a classroom teacher. Now that the kids are grown and I no longer spend my time chasing them around to various sporting activities, I spend most of my free time fishing, playing golf or 'working' in my makeshift wood shop. I have worked with wood for many years, building decks and fences. Smaller wood projects are easier on my arthritic hands.
 My talent started when I got a bit board turning standard pens from stock components. A friend from Texas suggested I look at a 30-06 rifle cartridge as the body of a pen. I enjoy creating pens from material that are not normally used such as rifle cartridges and pheasant feathers. I started turning small projects on a lathe 4 years ago and started turning pens about a year later.
As a retired science teacher, I would like to describe my process as systematic trial and error, enhancing the positive outcomes and charting the negative so they are not repeated. However, my wife would likely describe it as guess and hope, occasionally followed by band aids and bacitracin.
My business is much more a hobby, but I would think in five years I will still be turning … hopefully in a warmer climate.
This will be my second Avant-Garde Art & Craft show. I simply like making and using a good looking, comfortable, quality writing instrument … 'pocket jewelry,'

Meet Sue Riddle and Kathleen Williams from Heavenly Suds...
We love the combination of Art and Science that soap making offers. We also create Bath Salts, Oatmeal Soaks, and other natural products. Our line is always evolving and we evolve by learning and experimenting. We have been doing this for about six months now.

This is our first show with Avant-Garde craft show and we are so excited about being able to offer our products at this show.
The message we are trying express is the connection between the Spirit and Nature. How natural products not only heal the body, but also the spirit.
In five years we hope to not only be doing craft shows, but to have our own Natural Bath and Body Boutique. 


2014 Columbus February Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show

Saturday, February 8, 2014, 10:00am-4:00pm

St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221

For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN



No comments:

Post a Comment