Thursday, January 16, 2014

Primitive Crafts Showcase Chabby Chic Crafters!

Meet Tom McLeish from Windy Hill Primitives...
Tom McLeish is a retired High School Band Director.   After retirement in 2009 he focused on his woodworking hobby.  Soon friends were requesting special orders and the rest is history.   His work has been sold at craft shows throughout Ohio and at shops in Holmes County Amish Country, Finders Keepers Village in Heath Ohio and at the Peacock Lane Shop in Worthington, Ohio.  His wife Kathy is semi-retired and comes up with most of the design ideas as well as putting together display ideas at craft shows. They have been doing this since 2009 but this will be their first Avant-Garde show.
Tom has always enjoyed working with wood, after retirement he wanted to continue to do something creative. "We see something that we like and then experiment with the idea until it is something we would buy for ourselves," Tom explained, "I have always enjoyed working with wood, after retirement I wanted to continue to do something creative." He found encouragement in friends and family by them asking him to make items for their homes. "I have gotten much better which I realize when I look at my early creations." His wife gives him an idea and he will play around until it is something she likes.
He hopes to be able to find at least two craft shows a month to participate in. He likes being at the shows and meeting the buyers of his product. He explains, "To make someone smile whenever I make an item (even for Halloween) it has to be fun – if it puts a smile on the customers face, I have been successful."

Meet Jill Latas from DeMars Vintage Crafts...
I live in Upper Arlington and I am an elementary teacher in Hilliard, Ohio with a master degree in curriculum and instruction.  I am a wife and mother of 2 beautiful teenagers, a “needy” tabby, and an adorable, “special” soft coated wheaten terrior.  Yes, he really is special!  He runs in circles chasing invisible squirrels around trees. We could probably make a fortune on Youtube. 
When I am not busy with teaching and my family,  I am a passionate crafter.  I love to take ordinary objects and upcycle them with vintage materials.  I work with fabric, paper, and yarn.  I make vintage accessories and decor for the home.  My specialities are headbands made from vintage fabrics and wreaths made from vintage fabric, yarn, and paper.  My wreaths often have inspirational or quirky messages.
I never knew there were “others” who loved vintage as much as me until my daughter introduced me to Etsy and I got hooked on the magazines “Where Woman Create.”  Several years ago I was lucky enough to attend the first Creative Connection convention in Minnesota and I just recently opened my own Etsy shop, Demars Vintage Crafts. 

I  have thrifted for as long as I can remember and most of my wardrobe and numerous items in my home come from thrifting.  I have sold vintage items at the Scotts Antique Show as well as the Springfield Antique Show.  I entered in and was accepted into my first craft show this past December at the Marion Hollyfest.  The Avant Garde show will be my second show.  I am excited because it will be in my hometown and I am thrilled to share my love of vintage with you!  


2014 Columbus February Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show

Saturday, February 8, 2014, 10:00am-4:00pm

St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221

For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN


No comments:

Post a Comment