Saturday, May 19, 2012

Meet Some of our Columbus Jewelers!

Meet Ally McCarley from MC Jewelry...
I am Columbus born and raised. I went to O.U. for Commercial Photography and have always been into creating things. I am 24 and still have no idea what I want to do when I "grow up" but for now I'm enjoying life and happy to be making a living doing things that I love! I have been doing my craft for over a year now.


Full time, I work for a local Columbus magazine taking pictures of food and events, I bartend, and I also love to exercise, be outdoors, and snowboard. I enjoy going out and being around people, and spending time with my friends and family. Most of all, as long as I am out and about, being creative and at least sometimes getting paid for it, I'm happy!

I'm not really sure where I get my creativity from. It's just kind of always been there. I have always loved making things but have never really been into the "art" scene. I could always appreciate the meaning and thoughts behind people's artwork, but I chose photography and jewelry making because they are both things that can just kind of happen and be beautiful without having to have any other meaning then to just be nice to look at. I think about things way too much most of the time and for me, art and the things I create are a way for me to let go and stop thinking and just enjoy something beautiful

How I got into my craft.. My friend and I were bored one day and decided to have a "craft day". Like I said earlier, I have always enjoyed creating things but had not felt inspired in a long time. We went to Michael's (craft store) and bought a bunch of chains and beads, and I just started making jewelry. At first, I simply started making it for myself because it was fun, and it was something to be proud of, and I began getting requests from friends and strangers alike to create pieces for them as well.

My creative process varies. Sometimes I will see something in a store or that someone else has on and use that for inspiration. My favorite thing to do however is go to thrift or antique stores and buy random items that seem interesting to me. I usually don't know what to do with them until I'm in the middle of a piece and it all just comes together!

One of my favorites that I wear all the time was the first necklace I made- it's am asymmetrical gold layered chain necklace. It is so much fun and it goes with almost everything!

My overall goal is to enjoy myself and create pieces I can be proud of and that others are excited to wear. Of course, it would be nice to make some extra money off it all, but that's just icing on the cake!

I always want to keep my pieces affordable and I love to reuse old things (keeps my pieces unique, it's fun, and it's always helpful for our environment to reuse things that have already been made!) And like I said earlier, for me, creating these pieces is kind of a "time-out" from thinking about all the messages and things that we have to constantly think about and just enjoy something beautiful.

Meet Nancy Lacke from Adore Jules...
I was born and raised in the City of Chicago moved out to the burbs when I was in High School. I've always been interested in fashion, design, and interior decorating. I went to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater graduated with a degree in Education. I've taught school. I also went to school for Esthetics in 2005. I'm a licensed esthetician in Ohio, but I do not currently work in the field. I'm the mother of two grown sons, one a graphic designer the other a storyboard artist. I loved being a mom and being able to bring to my kids all kinds of experiences in art, music, life, entertainment. I'm the most proud of that.
I believe I get my creativity from my father. Outside of his job he was always doing something creative; painting on canvas, metal work, jewelry, building things, etc., he's very talented.

I LOVE jewelry and have been collecting it (whether as a gift or purchases) since I was a little girl. This isn't the only craft I've done, but it's what I'm doing now and I am passionate about it. In 2003 I took my first class in the art of jewelry. I began making jewelry as gifts for friends and family. I went to school in Esthetics and shelved the jewelry since I could not do both successfully. I began taking classes again in 2008. 
My business took off when my niece saw my jewelry photos on Facebook and told me about Etsy. She suggested I open a shop. From there I began to set new goals each year for my business. It all started with posting photos of my work on Facebook and getting request to make jewelry, from there the rest is history!

As a jewelry artist, I'm inspired by the materials I find. I love gemstones and unique findings and am inspired to bring them together in a piece of jewelry. Everything I make is something I would wear and/or love to own!

As for goals, I would love for my jewelry business to grow so that it is self-sustaining and I would not need my day job. I also want to continue to take classes to grow in this medium. It is very important to me.

My jewelry is all about wearablity and it's about feeling good when you wear it. My tagline is "it goes with anything and everything." I own fine pieces of jewelry and whether it's fine or for every day wear, the mark up in stores are huge. I want to offer a product at a fair price.

Check out these featured vendors at the 2012 Columbus Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. This eclectic show will feature over 125 of the area's most talented artisans and crafters. A portion of the show's proceeds will be donated to Columbus Ohio's Local Matters, a non-profit that teaches kids and families about healthy Ohio-grown foods, provides access to wholesome foods in local area communities, and advocates for fair food policies.

2012 Columbus Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, August 19, 2012, 1:30pm-6:30pm
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral
555 N. High St 
Columbus, OH 43215
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:

.

No comments:

Post a Comment