Sunday, May 27, 2012

Making Fabric Functional!


Meet Katie Lindsey from Katie's No Sew...
My name is Katie Lindsey and I am 25 years old. I grew up in North West Indiana, and just recently moved to Dublin, OH in July of 2011. I graduated from Ball State University in 2009 with my bachelor's of Fine Art Photography. With my degree, I have shot weddings, families, and senior photos.
I also have a love of music and have played the piano for several years, and also picked up a little on the guitar. I am an animal lover and someday when I have a yard, I would love to adopt a dog! I love to design websites, logos, play in Photoshop, and just create in general! I am currently working on my t-shirt scarf designs and also some other fun little gifts as well.

I believe I get my creativity from my uncle Doug and aunt Joanne who live in Chicago. It’s been my dream since I was a kid to live in Chicago and work with them on their graphic design projects. They both work in the design field.
I got started in selling my craft when I showed some people what I made and they loved it so much they told me I should try and sell them. So I did!

I've always loved to make jewelry and just be creative in general. I love scrap booking as well. My creative process is through research! You can't learn or gain any new ideas without research. Also, I keep the mentality to try and try again. I believe as an artists and crafter you need to keep practicing till you have perfected your technique.

My hope is to one day have a small business of my own, or maybe a gallery, antique shop with crafts I have made, or a photo studio!

Meet Shannon Gross from Shanny Ann...
My name is Shannon Gross. I've been crafting since I was old enough to hold a glue stick! My grandmother was a 4-H advisor for 25yrs and she always had a room full of odds and ends to cut, paste, color, and paint. I spent every summer at her house working on my 4-H projects. I went on to college and received a degree in Graphic Design. Although I enjoyed it, it didn't give me that "hands-on" experience that creating things from scratch did. That need, and the dream of working my job around my family and not the other way around, allowed me to come to the simple conclusion to use those skills I had (and loved) to achieve that dream and fulfill that need.

I started making bags for myself in 2007, and started my Etsy shop in 2008.

People do a variety of things for relaxation. Some read, some walk, others meditate. I......craft! For as long as I can remember, creating things has been my therapy, my escape.

Most of my ideas come to me when I'm not trying to find an idea so I'm always carrying a small sketchpad with me. Then I go home and cut out a pattern. Sometimes my ideas don't turn out the way I pictured them, so I've learned not to use the "good" fabric on my first try!
My favorite bag that I made was one of the first ones. It was an Ohio State Univ. tote made out of my t-shirt and some scraps. When I compare it to the bags I make now, it's really rough looking, but it was a building block to getting to the sewing skills I have today and I cherish it.
I got started selling my work when I started bringing the bags I made to work to get opinions and some of my co-workers started requesting custom orders. Someone had mentioned Etsy to me so I did some research and decided that was a good starting point to get my work out there.
My goal is to build this business and continue to work from my shop at home. It's very important for me to be able to set my own hours around my kids and their activities.


Check out these featured vendors at the 2012 Columbus Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. This eclectic show will feature over 125 of the area's most talented artisans and crafters. A portion of the show's proceeds will be donated to Columbus Ohio's Local Matters, a non-profit that teaches kids and families about healthy Ohio-grown foods, provides access to wholesome foods in local area communities, and advocates for fair food policies.

2012 Columbus Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, August 19, 2012, 1:30pm-6:30pm
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral
555 N. High St 
Columbus, OH 43215
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:



No comments:

Post a Comment