Thursday, May 30, 2024

Columbus Get Excited! It's Time the Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show!

 Meet Janet Forbes-Green from Made to Adore...

Retiring after 35 years as a math/science teacher for Columbus City Schools I now have the time to devote to an interest I’ve always had which is creating art. Being an empty nester comes with some advantages as my 2 children are married and have their own families which gives me an at-home art studio. (Yeah!)  With the help of my husband of 44 years I can now devote time to developing my craft.

During my years of teaching, I attended conferences set in New Orleans, specifically near the French Quarter. Between classes, I would walk the Quarter mesmerized by the colorful houses and French-influenced architecture. I really wanted to reproduce that look in a colorful, whimsical way. My art reflects my interpretation of the homes of New Orleans. Made with polymer clay, acrylic paint, and resin to enhance the color, each house has its own unique style and charm.

I became a member of the Worthington Area Arts League to gain guidance and advice.  It has taken me at least 4 years to develop my style of art. Some of my work is displayed through their website and in art/craft shows around the area. I also show some of my work on Facebook. I also create personal pieces for people. 


Meet Stacy Piper from Middle School Chaos LLC...

My name is Stacy Piper and I am the owner of Middle School Chaos, LLC. I am a full-time middle school teacher and have two grown children. I craft to help relieve the stress of teaching math to 7th graders! I began scrapbooking when my son was born 25 years ago. My style has changed over the years but I still enjoy every minute of creating. This will be my 4th Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show!


What inspires me is a bit of anything and everything. When I see something online or in a store that I like, you can probably be sure I'm saying "I can do that." I create mostly with paper/cardstock but I also mess around with t-shirts, tumblers, stickers, and coasters. Every year I make classroom decor for my "home away from home" - my classroom. 

My creative process is chaotic at best. I often start a project and will change midstream. You never know what you are going to get in my craft room. This is why my store name is Middle School Chaos - like my classroom, my craft room is a different day of chaos every day. 


In five years I hope to see myself retired from teaching and doing more arts & crafts shows. The message behind my work is happiness... I want people to look at my work and have it remind them of a story or memory that they've had in the past. I can't wait for this show!


Meet Katherine Patrick from Nuthatch Yarn Studio...
Hi! My name is Katie, and I’m the creator of Nuthatch Yarn Studio. I live with my husband, a grumpy old man cat, and an embarrassingly large stash of yarn. I’ve been crocheting since I was a kid, but I’ve been focusing on amigurumi (a big word that basically just means crochet plushies) for about five years. This will be my third Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show, and I’m so excited! I love to crochet when I have downtime, and ending up with an adorable final project is so rewarding. It’s the perfect distressing time after work for me. 
My grandma taught me to crochet when I was young, but over the years I’ve also dabbled in an eclectic assortment of crafts including cross stitch, scrapbooking, and miniature painting. Crochet is the one hobby that’s really stuck. I feel so proud when I turn a ball of yarn into a cuddly companion, and sharing people’s joy when they see my creations just enhances the experience. When I crochet, I like to experiment with different patterns and colors. I typically don’t make the same thing more than a couple times, so my stock is always changing! 
I also try to think about the seasonality of my items. Before Christmas, I did a lot of penguins. This spring, I had surprise Easter eggs and marshmallow peeps. At this show, I’ll be focusing on Pride-themed items for June, so expect to see lots of bright colors and flag designs! While I’d love to see my business flourish, I most of all want to have fun with my hobby and be able to share my work with others. My aspirations are to continue doing a few craft shows throughout the year. Of course, I’m always open to custom projects as well!

I’m looking forward to the show and hope to see you there!

2024 Columbus Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, June 2nd, 2024
10:00am-4:00pm
Makoy Event Center
5462 Center St.
Hilliard, OH 43026
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment