Sunday, February 3, 2013

Knits to Nature!

Meet Casmen Gantner from White Barn Crafts...
My name is Casmen Gantner and I am the the owner of White Barn Crafts.  I grew up in rural northwestern Ohio and I am the typical farm girl that loves the simple life. Animals, nature and crafts are my passion.

I have been crafting it seems all my life. From finger painting and macaroni necklaces to the intricate earrings and bracelets I do now. I also love crocheting, counted cross stitch, sewing, cardmaking, cooking, and gardening so I don't sit still very often. 

My inspirations come from everywhere but my creativity comes handed down from my grandmother and her sisters. They taught me to do a lot with very little! My grandmother firmly believed idle hands are the Devil's work and TV rots your brain. I could watch TV if I was also doing something else. That was the start of my addiction. Jewelry came about because I was finding it hard to accessorize my small frame, so I started making items that I could wear.
I know my current obsession in chainmaille might not reflect the farm life to most people, but to me it all seems to fit. On the farm we use a lot of machinery and man made items in our everyday life and chainmaille is an extension of that. To bring in the natural element I use other items such as crystals and semi precious stones. It is all about balance.

White Barn Crafts got started because my husband basically said if you want to keep making jewelry then you really need to sell some of this stuff and pay for your supplies. I think he was feeling a little over run! That started a word of mouth avalanche, and I was encouraged to try some of the smaller craft fairs. I absolutely loved it! Meeting new people and it was such fun!
My creative process has always been a little haphazard I admit. I will see a bead or a new color and an idea comes to my mind but it has to work over a little bit. I like it much more when a person comes to me and wants a piece, then I can try to match them. What colors work with them and what will be more comfortable with them. That makes it happen a lot faster. What I love best about making handmade jewelry and other crafted items, is making people feel special. It is my number one job. A person puts on that perfect piece and their walk and stance changes. It is amazing to see!

My message behind my work is to enjoy life. I have such a good time making my pieces and I hope it shows in the final product. Everything that has gone into the pieces, the sun, the rain, and the roosters crowing in the morning, has all gone into the necklace, bracelet, etc. 

This will be my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show and I am very excited and humbled to welcome into the family! We love our Facebook friends and at Facebook/WhiteBarnCrafts they can always see what new stuff we are doing.

Meet Tracy Markland from Tangled in Yarn...

I am a stay at home mom of four lovely children, and also a homeschooler. I used to live in a small town in Indiana. Once I got married I moved to Dayton, Ohio. I have been crocheting for over 13 years. It all began with watching my grandmother-in-law crochet, which made me interested in learning how to crochet. As I learned more about crocheting, I made baby blankets as gifts, which became treasured by the receivers.

Last September, I decided to turn my hobby into a way to earn extra money. Now, I am expanding my creativity by learning new things! Crocheting  baby  blankets, ear warmers, hats, scarves, and more! I also created a page on Facebook, and a business name for myself “Tangled  In Yarn”. Facebook, has given me a way to show more people what I can make!
This will be my first craft show with Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. I am looking forward to the learning experience, and  getting “Tangled In Yarn’s” name out there!

My creativity comes from patterns I have found in books, online, or it may be  a pattern a customer request me to make. The most  satisfying part of making  a crocheted  item, is seeing how everything comes together. It gives me motivation to make more things! Everything that I make is made with love, and to last a long time. I would hope that shows in every item that I make.

Meet Linda Rath from Tino's Treasures...
I retired from The Ohio State University, Microbiology Department in December 2011. I grew up on a farm in southwest Ohio and have always enjoyed the outdoors. I’m married and have two grown children. I have been doing this since the summer 2012. This will be my first Avant-Garde event.

I get my creativity from everywhere. My husband and I enjoy travel, hiking, and camping. I’m inspired by the forms I see in nature. I have always enjoyed working with my hands and seeing where my creativity leads me. When I retired, I had plenty of time to “explore my artistic side”. I first began making fairy houses this summer after reading an article in the Columbus Dispatch. I began making frames when my husband and I “found” some old frames in a dumpster while walking in a park in Hilliard.
All the materials for my houses and frames are collected from nature and the frame bases are repurposed used frames. Preserving resources and the environment are important to me.

How I started my business…  My sister is potter. She has been exhibiting at shows for a few years now. (In fact, she will also be at this Avant-Garde show.) When I showed her some of my fairy houses, she invited me to share space with her at a show this past November 2012. Plus, I have a limited amount of space to store my creations!  I’m excited that this will be the first show where I exhibit my frames.


When it comes to my creative process.. first, I collect interesting items from nature that have a shape or texture that I like. I then select an old picture frame. Usually the shape and size of the frame helps me as I begin to choose nature items to turn it into one of “Tino’s Treasures”.

The thing I enjoy the most… It’s great to be able to start with an idea and then see what the house or frame looks like when I’m done. I’m never exactly sure what the end product will look like!

Meet Terry Lynch from Vintage Delights...
Vintage Delights began after retiring from the corporate world. I was finally able to begin making creations from all the vintage fabrics I had collected for years. The original idea came from a feature in Country Living Magazine years before retirement that I had put into a folder for "some day" ...

My creativity comes from the fabrics and trims. When I look at the vintage tablecloths and chenilles they speak to me and evolve into a different art form. 



I began my hobby with pillowcase dresses then added vintage tablecloth totes, pillows, onto chenille clothing children and adult. I have now have added altered recycled denim jackets with funky designs, t-shirt skirts and my most enjoyable project, repurposed sweaters and coats. My Grandmother, was the Queen of "waste not-want not" and she is my inspiration. (My mannequin is lovingly named Maggie after her). 
Starting my business just happened. Inventory started growing and I need to find an outlet to make room, so I could continue to create. I never thought my works would speak to people the way they do to me, but I have been so pleasantly surprised as my lines continue to grow and prosper. Hearing people recall past memories when they see the fabrics I use in my designs is so heartwarming. 



Recycle - Reuse - Repurpose is the message I would love to have my creations convey as they put a smile on the faces of the people who see them.
                                                     

2013 Columbus February Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, February 16th 2013, 11:00am-5:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:



No comments:

Post a Comment