Thursday, May 19, 2016

Things are About to Get Crafty, Columbus!

Meet Claudia Hayes, of Sisters Two...
Hello, my name is Claudia Hayes. I am a 59-year-old mother of three adult children and the grandmother of two granddaughters, Ashlynn and Reagan. My husband and I are both retired. I live in Pickaway County, just east of Circleville, home of the famous Pumpkin Show! I have been into paper crafting for about six years now. My sister invited me to a card making class and I reluctantly went. After that, I became hooked! I went from sitting on a small footstool while creating paper crafts and using an old TV stand as my work space to taking over two of my children's bedrooms once they had moved out. This is going to be the first Avant-Garde show I've been to and participated in and I am very excited for this opportunity!
What inspires me to create is being able to put together "collections" of paper and make them into something I hope someone can enjoy for many years. Seeing the finished product and knowing it started out as "just a piece of paper " is so satisfying! I discovered my talent by just continuing to learn new techniques and putting it all together for a lovely finished product. 
In five years I hope to expand my business to not just a Facebook page but a website. The message behind my work is this: something you thought you had no desire to do could actually become one of the joys in your life.

Meet Marcia Bennardo of Lanyard Love...
I grew up in Michigan, but have lived in Columbus for the past 20 years and currently work for Hallmark Cards. I am married with two daughters, ages 25 and 18. I also have a dog named Shea, after the former New York Mets stadium.. I enjoy scrapbooking and stamping cards as well as organizing things. I love to lay by the pool with a good book and I am very involved at my church.
I officially started selling my lanyards in July of 2015 and this will be my first Avant-Garde Craft Show. I like beautiful things and get an itch to make something out of nothing. I love the feeling of seeing something through to completion; it brings a smile to my face. I am also very practical so I like to make things that fill a need while also being pleasing to look at. I am not very athletic or technical, but I found that I am pretty good at crafts. One of the first things I remember making when I was a child was a wedding dress for my Barbie doll out of one of my mother's old slips using a little toy sewing machine. I have been creating and recreating ever since. 
When I'm looking for fabric for my lanyards and key fobs, I try to find prints that are small and interesting to the eye. I sell to teens and professionals, those in the medical and academic field, etc. I try to have a wide variety from which to choose. My lanyards and key fobs make great gifts, so I found little gossamer bags to package them in. The heart charms add some bling and the split key ring and lobster clasps make them versatile. My husband jokes that someday I'll be on Shark Tank!

A lot of people use lanyards and key fobs. But why use a boring lanyard when you can have a fun one that matches your mood or your style? I also like to share the bounty with charities that are close to my heart. I have been very blessed, so it's fun to use my business as a way to give back. 

Meet Lydia Heimbrock of Needle Eye Creations...
I am a Columbus native. I've been crafting my entire life. Currently I work at JoAnn's Fabrics. I've been married for a little over a year now. It was my husband who pushed me to start a business from my hobby. My husband looked at one of my stuffed animals and thought I could sell them. I've been sewing off and on for as long as I can remember. It didn't become a hobby until three years ago when I received a sewing machine as a Christmas gift. I started selling my stuffed animals at Craft Bazaars the following Holiday season. Since then I have added some other sewn items to my booth.
All of the different fabrics and project possibilities inspires me to create. I see something and my mind instantly starts imagining how I can make it or how I can make it better. I love figuring out how to make something and being able to say, "yes, I made this!" when I am done. People always seem to like and appreciate what I make. Sometimes I find the fabric first and then come up with the project or sometimes I have a project in mind and then have to find the perfect fabric. 
This will be my second Avant-Garde show. In the future I hope to be selling my items at craft shows and on my website and then possibly putting on my own craft show.

Meet Megan Winterton of Alyce Creations...
Hello, my name is Megan Alyce! By day, I am a Graphic Designer with a passion for the arts, crafts, coffee and fitness. By night, I am a lover of craft beer, wine, a good movie, delicious food and snuggling with my wiener dog, Bentley! I first opened my Etsy shop last year and received such positive feedback that I decided to branch out and participate in the colorful, exciting world of craft shows. This will be my second craft show at age 24, and my very first show with Avant-Garde. I'm so overjoyed by everything I've accomplished thus far and truly believe that with a little faith, anything is possible! 
Since I was young, I've had an eye for design. It wasn't until I was accepted into the Ohio University Graphic Design Program that my passion ensued. For two straight years I designed solely with my hands. Our professors encouraged us to discover the foundations of art before diving into the complexities of graphic design and I found the process to be fulfilling in my early days when my love for art first revealed itself. Now, nearly six years later, while my studies have led me into a rewarding career as a Lead Graphic Designer, a side of me began to miss the other half of design. The gritty, authentic half. Ultimately, I decided to flare up my old ardor and create a shop of my own! Middle names have always served as a sort of redeemer to me so I found it only fitting to name it after my own middle name: Alyce Creations. 
Most of my products are inspired from the state that I love: Ohio. Over time, I hope to create pieces inspired from the states that others love, too so I can bring a little "home" for everyone to enjoy. What's more, I hope to seek innovation through travel, whether it's marching the modern flagstones of a bustling city or trudging the ancient foothills of our world's most natural of habitats. No matter what comes my way, I'm eager and excited to see what the future has in store! After all, in the words of David Bowie, "I don't know where I'm going from here, but I promise it won't be boring." Stop by and meet me in person June 11th at the Columbus Avant-Garde Arts and Craft Show! 

2016 Columbus Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, June 11, 2016
 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:

LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment