Thursday, March 3, 2016

It's Almost Show Time, Columbus!

Meet Molly from Buckeye Baby Beads...
I am originally from Columbus, and currently live in Powell with my husband, 1 year old son, and Boston Terrier. I am an Ohio State Alum and an avid Buckeye fan, which is the reason for creating Buckeye Baby Beads!
I work in the financial industry by day, so this opportunity to use my creativity and be my own boss has been very rewarding so far! I have been in the business for about four months, and this will be my first time participating in an Avant-Garde show!
My mom is an artist and a teacher, and I have always admired her creativity. When I was growing up, she was always painting, sewing, and designing. Although I do not have her talent as a painter, I am excited to be following in her footsteps!
I have always made gifts for friends and family, but never had the desire to sell anything. I had the idea to create a buckeye necklace that babies can chew on when my son was 6 months old, and kept grabbing at my buckeye necklace to chew. In 5 years, I'd love for Buckeye Baby Beads to be a must-have baby shower gift for buckeye fans! 

Meet Katie Roush from Katie's Ooak Dolls...
My name is Katie Roush and I am a self taught doll maker but learned to sew from my Grandmother. We would spend hours at the old black Singer machine. I took to it rather quickly.  I now have branched out into a new line called Pawsh Pets. So, in addition to my soft sculpted character dolls and pet portrait dolls, I make clothing, pet carriers and leash sleeves for your well loved fur babies.
You can visit my work on FB at: https://www.facebook.com/katiesdolls/
I have been sewing for over 40 years and have made everything from clothing to toys. I would sew up special Christmas gifts for each of my three daughters for Christmas. One year I decided to skip it thinking it would not matter and I was wrong! So, I had to make their gifts extra special the next year. I have always been artsy ever since I can remember. My first memory of creating was playing with paper dolls and making clothes out of paper and crayons because I wanted something different.
I have participated in three Avant-Garde shows last year. I made a commitment to do a Christmas show elsewhere and that was a big mistake. I am now only going to do the Avant Garde shows. I believe the crowd is more attuned to all the handmade work that is displayed there. 
I'm inspired by my youngest daughter, Krystle, who loved to craft and create with me, especially the dolls. When she passed away three years ago, I started sewing again, doll making, as a way to heal. I took my love of a hobby and turned it into something unique. Her memory also has inspired me to launch Pawsh Pets. She loved to dress up my dogs and cats.  I am an animal lover so, creating these things for fur babies is pure joy for me. My pet portrait dolls are exactly that, a portrait painted on muslin that becomes an heirloom. I have clients as far away as the U.K. with these whimsical works of art.

I discovered my talent as each doll was sculpted. I realized how joyful it was seeing them come alive right in my hands. When people started to fall in love and request them, that is when I knew I had talent. It was purely accidental. That was well over 30 years ago!
My creative process.. I see something in my head, and my hands just create it. I also get inspired by fabric. I see a certain pattern or style and I just have to do something with it. I love to take a pattern and just run with it. Patterns are like recipes, a starting point. I just add to it as the doll or outfit comes alive. 

The message behind my work is that I spread joy. If I make something and it makes you laugh or just "have to have it," then that makes me happy. 

Meet Harmony Becker from Songbird and Summer Storm...
My name is Harmony Becker and I am a visual artist who is part of the two person studio, Songbird and Summer Storm, which I run with Erica Feld. We were both trying to get into the animation industry when we decided we wanted more creative control over what we produce, so we decided to start selling art at comic conventions and craft fairs. We started our studio at the beginning of 2016 and this is our first show with Avant-Garde!
I grew up in a very creative environment; my dad is a painter and my mom does a lot of drawing and sewing, so I've always been encouraged to be creative. I've been drawing ever since I could hold a pencil, so creating has always been a very natural part of my life. I draw inspiration from moments that happen around me every day, as well as from a lot of amazing artists who I look up to.
I do a lot of work in the computer, painting in Photoshop with a stylus and tablet. If I'm not working digitally, I'm usually sketching on copy paper or doing small watercolor sketches. I use a lot of Copic markers as well.
In 5 years I hope that we'll be established and successful! I'm hoping to start a Patreon by the end of the year so that I can continue to make work that is meaningful to me and that other people are excited to see.

Meet Shan Baker from My Pillow Parlor...
In 2010, I moved to Columbus from San Diego. I have never been more inspired by the local art scene than I have been here in Columbus. There are some truly talented artists in Columbus, and I'm honored to have my work displayed beside theirs. 
I've been making my own pillows for over 10 years and this will be my first Avant-Garde show as a vendor, as opposed to a patron. I'm very excited to be a part of the show on the other side!
I'm inspired to create by my own home. I discovered my talent by making pillows for my own home, and having friends and family asking for them as gifts. My creative process centers around creating things I would love and appreciate in my own home.
In 5 years, I'd like to be in the same place I am now, putting 110% of my time into what I'm doing and still making one of a kind items!

Meet Lydia Heimbrock from Needle Eye Creations...
I am a Columbus native and have been a crafter for my entire life. Currently, I work at JoAnn's and the Worthington Library. I've been married for a little over a year now. It was my husband who pushed me to start a business from my hobby.
I've been sewing on and off for as long as I can remember. It didn't become a hobby until three years ago, when I received a sewing machine as a Christmas gift. I started selling my stuffed animals at craft bazaars the following holiday season. Since then, I have added some other sewn items to my booth. This will be my first Avant-Garde show!

I'm inspired to create by all of the different fabric and project possibilities. I see something and my mind instantly goes, "how can I make that?" or "how can I make that better?" I love figuring out how to make something and having the satisfaction of saying my items are handmade. In 5 years, I'd like to be successfully selling my items at craft shows and on my own website, and possibly even putting on my own craft show!

2016 Columbus Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, March 5, 2016
 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment