Friday, September 5, 2014

Pampering from Head to Toe- 2014 Columbus Fall Artists & Crafters Premier!

Meet Liz Kheng from The Purple Turtle Co...
I am a stay at home mommy of 2 girls and 2 doggies. I am a part time photographer and full time IT nerd. 

Although I have been obsessed with essential oils for years I have only been making my products for a few moths now. This will be my first  Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show.
I'm inspired to create because I love knowing what ingredients I am putting on my skin, and knowing they are safe and effective. My craft started out as a project for my 7 year old daughter and me to do during her spring break. I enjoyed making these products so much I shared them with all my friends and family. 

Creating my products is a lot like cooking (which I also love). It's a matter of adding the right ingredients and the right moment. The best part is being able to enjoy the end product.

The message behind my work is: Love yourself inside and out. Know and understand the products you use.

Meet Kirbie Earley from Lil Miss and Lil Mister...
I'm mom to an energetic little boy and an adorable little girl. While they keep me pretty busy, I also enjoy handcrafting items for kids. I love making things that make little boys & girls even cuter & things to keep them challenged and entertained! I have officially been in business since the beginning of 2014.



When I was very young, my grandmother taught me how to sew. I made blankets for my dolls, ornaments for the holidays and small quilts to hang on the walls! As I got older, my mother and grandmother got me interested in other activities that allowed me to explore my creativity. 

Four years ago, I found out I was going to have my first child, and I was so excited! I couldn't wait to do things with him - to teach him how to be creative. I love doing crafty projects with him! Two years ago, when I found out I was going to have my little girl, I got so excited about all of the frilly things that I could get for her! She had several tutus and quite a few hair bows before she was even born! Today, she is a vibrant toddler who still lets me put her in tutus and pretty headbands.

As a mom, I appreciate quality items and the need to keep costs down. I take pride in my work and always strive to put forth my best effort. I'm not satisfied until the job is 100% right! I want to share my creativity with you, through the items I sell. I hope you enjoy using them as much as I enjoy making them!
I brainstorm things with my sisters and my Mom, sometimes friends and other family members. I come from a long line of creative people! I try different color combinations to see what works and if I don't like it, I start over. Usually it works out pretty well. I am also inspired by causes, like breast cancer or cystic fibrosis, which has impacted my extended family and my friends. 

In five years I see myself as a successful business that provides great products to Moms at a low cost - where I am now, but with an extended product base that includes toys and accessories, and probably books.

The message behind my work is that hand-made items are full of love and dedication, and that they are most likely better quality than whatever you can find in stores today. I believe in producing nothing less than top-quality merchandise for my customers. 

Meet Megan Hogan from Megan Hogan Art & Design...
My name is Megan Hogan, I'm 23 years old, and I'm an up and coming local artist and designer in central Columbus. My focus of art is on watercolor and ink, but enjoy creating which other mediums. I'm a graduate of Westland High School class of '09. After, I studied 2 years at Columbus State for graphic design '10-'11 and was a volunteer Young Life leader from  '10-'13. Today, I'm currently freelancing my art and design options. Alongside pursuing my passion of fine art, I'm also an intern of student ministries and very involved with my church, Bethel Presbyterian, and work another small part time job. In my free time when I'm not making art, I enjoy exploring and adventuring around Columbus. I also enjoy spending time with close friends, family, and my church community.
Officially started freelancing my artwork since early '10 ,but it hasn't been up until this year that I've begun to really pursue my art endeavors and a possible business through it. I'm still learning a lot on how to market myself as a local artist and still a newbie when it comes to craft shows. This is my first official show through Avant-Garde and I'm so excited to be a part of this event. Also, this is my first official art & craft show debut!
My inspiration, first and foremost, comes from my faith and relationship with Jesus Christ. I've also always had a huge love for the great outdoors/nature. A lot of my work pulls from the wide array and spectrum of color that you experience when looking at a beautiful landscape or sunset. I'm also inspired by daily happenings. Currently on Instagram, I have a series labeled "Clipboard thoughts" and it's a daily watercolor project inspired from what's going on, good or bad, in my life. When it comes down to it, I'm inspired by the true beauty of life that is found around me and express it through my art to help inspire others to create.
I've been making and creating art for as long as I can remember. My parents encouraged me to create at such a young age that I can't ever not remember a time that I didn't have a marker or paint brush in my hand. Growing up I was heavily involved at Westgate Rec center, taking ceramic and painting classes. In high school, I pursued my art, taking advanced drawing and painting classes, alongside my senior portfolio class. I entered CCAD's Scholastics Art Award program and earned an honorable mention and a silver key award for two of my pieces senior year. After high school, studied short term at CSCC for graphic design, combining my talent of fine art with digital design. From there I used my art to commission work as a fundraiser to raise money to help send the high school kids I was involved with to summer camps through Young Life. But recently within the past year and a half, I've decided to really pursue the idea of what a business with my art would look like and make my dream a reality.
My creative process is very random. Depending on when my creative juices are really flowing, I can whip out numerous pieces in one sitting. Other times, I need time to think of new design ideas and concepts. The funnest and most successful series I've created have been my "Ohio Love" set, which is the Ohio state border outline with fun splashes of watercolor and unique line work design and geometrical shapes. I normally work late at night and listen to music that will help my creative process along, and other times I love sketching out and about, so at a park or coffee shop.
In five years, my hope and dream is to be able to completely quit my part time job and create art full time. I'm in no way after fame, I just want to be able to have the freedom and ability to basically create 24/7. Right now, I currently have some of my artwork for sale through Wholly Craft since March '14, and has been a wonderful opportunity to help get my name and art to new eyes. I've also been asked to be a featured local artist and have my art displayed/for sale at the new location of Strut the Salon coming this October. I also want to cultivate/create some form of an art outreach program in the greater Columbus area for under privilege kids to be able to come, learn about art, and create, free of charge.
My message I'd say is to truly embrace, and live life to the full; My hope is when people view my art, something would come alive in them and would spark their imagination and inspire them to create something beautiful of their own.
Link to my facebook:  facebook.com/mgnhgndesigns
Link to my twitter: twitter.com/mgnhgn
Instagram: @_mgnhgn
Link to my tumblr: mgnhgndesigns.tumblr.com

Meet Justina Penrod from Your Inner Princess...
Meet Justina Penrod.  Believe it or not, Justina is a Scientist/Director for a research company, works 4-5 nights a week as a bartender/server at a local restaurant, and still manages to find time to fuel her passion of creating beautiful crystal covered pieces.  Justina is 30 years old and resides in the Short North, an artsy area of Columbus, Ohio, with her husband, Todd.

Your Inner Princess specializes in crystal covered (stresses) items for you, your young child, or anyone else with a love for sparkle!  “I love to design and create anything sparkly! Whether it be a bedazzles wine opener for that wine lover in your life, super cute sneakers for your toddler, or that perfect pair of stressed high heels for your wedding or big event, I can do it! My favorite projects are custom orders that really show your interests and personality.  I have tons of cute holiday ideas that I am excited to get started on.” This will be Justina’s and Your Inner Princess’ first craft show.  
 
Justina has been covering things with glitter and crystals since childhood, but really discovered her talent about three years ago while planning her fairy tale wedding.  She had a vision of sparkle and shine, and wanted everything to be covered in crystals.  Albeit a long and expensive task, she chose to craft her way to success.  She created one of a kind wedding shoes, flower bouquet covers, invitations, favors, and much more!  This was how it all started. From that day on, she found more and more reasons and ways to add crystals to everyday items.

“I am inspired to create in many ways.  When I see a typical everyday product, like a diaper wipe case, I think about how much joy a crystal covered one would be to the mother.  A special accessory for a medial task, made just for you.  When I’m out and about, I am constantly looking for products that, with added sparkle, would bring a smile to someone’s face.  My favorite creations have been baby shoes, women’s shoes, and wine openers.”  Justina’s creative process begins with a vision of how the final product should look, and varies during creation, depending on the stones that are being used and the product itself. Strassing is a very tedious and time consuming skill, and requires a high attention to detail.

In 5 years, I see Your Inner Princess opening a small boutique somewhere. I also see a wider range of products, covering holidays, weddings, pets, babies, and everything in between. I am so excited for what the future holds.”

The message behind Justina’s work is simple: never be afraid to release your inner princess. She bases this thought on a quote from Frances Hodgson Burnett: “I am a princess. All girls are.”

2014 Columbus Fall Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 10:00am-4:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Silverstein, Event Coordinator at Becki@ag-shows.com
Visit us on:
LINKEDIN

No comments:

Post a Comment