Tuesday, May 7, 2013

These Crafty Ladies Are Jills of All Trades!


Meet Savannah Norris-Jenkins from SolarFire Jewelry...
I am a wife and a mother to a cute and very opinionated two year old daughter. I create jewelry for my jewelry business, SolarFire Jewlery. I am a singer and musician for two local groups, my folk group The Song Birds and a duet with my husband called Jinxed. And since I have bills to pay, I work full time as an Operations Manager at a bank. I keep myself busy!
When I was young, my aunts used to have my sister and I do crafts with them whenever we were visiting, and we loved it! In fact, one of my aunts will also be a vendor at the upcoming spring show selling her tie-dye! As I got older, I got into drawing and music as my artistic outlets. I am a musician and love of jewelry making too!
How I got into my craft.. I had been itching to do something creative when I happened upon a beautiful pair of polished cabochon gemstones that just screamed to be made into some earrings. I hadn't tried my hand at jewelry making before, but did some research and tried it out. I instantly fell in love with designing and crafting my jewelry pieces and have been hooked ever since.

How I got started selling my craft... There was no way I would ever be able to wear everything that I was making. I've always enjoyed going to craft shows and shopping on Etsy, so I thought it would be fun to be a vendor too. And a little bit of extra income never hurts either.
Most of my design comes from inspiration from the stones themselves: their shape, color and size sparks an idea and I run with that. During the work day or especially after I've gone to bed, I'll be running through design ideas and I can't wait to have some time to start on them.
I like to create unique statement pieces that catch people's attention and are easy to wear both casually and for a date night out. For me, I appreciate jewelry that can pull double duty and look great paired both with jeans and white t-shirt or your cute little black dress.

Meet Stephanie Motley from Miss Motleys...
Miss Motleys is a one woman production "team." A jill of all trades whom loves trying a variety of creative mediums.After many friends, family and co-workers requesting custom pieces and suggesting I sell my work, I finally took the plunge.

I have been creating thing for as long as I can remember, but I’ve officially been doing it as a business since 2007. I love taking old ugly unwanted items and revamping them into something new, awesome and coveted. It is running joke in my family that the craft hobby is hereditary. I've been lucky enough to be surrounded by creativity in many forms for most of my life.
I discovered my talent through many years of trial and error. I've tried every craft that has caught my fancy. I seem to come back to sewing every time. I think the versatility of the craft prevents me from becoming burnt out or bored with what I am doing.
My creative process is very flexible. I have a few basic design templates but the combinations of fabrics are determined by what crosses my path. 

Our goal is to reuse and recycle as many materials as possible to better our quality of living while still being stylish.

Meet Kristin & Linda Sigman from Lilly Of the Valley Elite...

We are a mother-daughter duo that started our company in February 2012. Kristin is a high school science teacher that devotes her spare time to her four legged children-Lilly (brindle, Bull Terrier), Linus (cat), and Luna (cat).  Linda is a gardener and grandmother living on the farm with Bobo (Chihuahua), Ray Ray (Border Collie Mix), Zoie (Rat Terrier), and Emme (Beagle/Bassett Mix).

L.O.V.E is inspired by our pets and nature. Our business began with the creation of doggy collar capes, bandanas, and shirt collars. After our first year, we branched out with the creation of Bully Catchers, Lil’ Luvs, Cozy Noggins, Little Bits, Dainty Diva Wear, and cat products. 
Designing pet products for others brings us great joy. It means making something that other people can enjoy! Thanks to the Internet, we have been able to sell our products all across the U.S. This will be our very first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. We look forward to meeting new people and sharing our L.O.V.E. with others!

Meet Christa Will of Dizzie Daisy...
I am a 38-year-old x-ray technician who lives with her husband and two teenage boys. I love to craft in any spare time I can get. I have been crafting for shows now for about two and a half years. This will be my second Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show since they came to the Columbus area.
I love personalized gifts and the thought that goes behind them. Personalized gifts are extra special when you find something that portrays a quality of the person you are giving it to, or it reflects something that shows that you know what they like. It means a little bit more than any general present that you can pick up at the local gift shop.
I started out doing scrapbook pages, and while researching different ways to crop a page I came across SO many different things you can make with paper that I had to start experimenting...I got hooked! I decided to try to organize all of the pictures of my kids growing up into neat little scrapbooks. That turned into album gifts for friends, which turned into other gifts for friends & family. Before I knew it, I had enough to start selling them!


The message behind my work is thought. What you might think is the smallest, cheapest, most insignificant little trinket might mean the world to someone who knows that you were thinking about them enough to take the time to stop and pick out something that reflects how you see them. It’s the little personal touches that stick in people's minds, and sometimes that’s all it takes to make a lasting impression.
2013 Columbus Spring Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show

Saturday, May 11th 2013, 10:00am-4:00pm

St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:






No comments:

Post a Comment