Friday, April 19, 2013

Edible Eats and Visual Treats!


Meet Melissa Harvey from Mel's 'Zels…
My name is Melissa, and I'm the owner of Mel's 'Zels. I create one-of-a-kind hand dipped pretzels, using quality and fresh ingredients. I graduated with a Marketing degree from The Ohio State University in 2011, and have always enjoyed creating new delicious desserts. What started as a hobby and has turned into a passion that I’m excited to share with others! This will be my second Avant-Garde Show.
When it comes to my creative process, I’m always thinking of new flavor ideas. I try to experiment with my pretzels – sometimes the flavors work, and sometimes they don’t. It’s always a learning process until I get it just right.

Redesign birthdays, holidays, weddings, graduation parties, and more with Mel’s ‘Zels. They are delicious!
I'll have plenty of samples at the booth, so make sure to swing by and try some popular 'zels. I'll feature some craft show favorites: Salty caramel, Buckeye fanatic, I want s'more 'zels, the nutty profess'zel, mint chocolate chip, key lime pie, and more.

Meet Anna Furry from Gnome's Hidden Treasures...
I’m 27 years old and originally from Chillicothe, Ohio. I moved to Columbus almost two years ago with my new husband. I have three dogs and work as a chef.

This is only my second craft show but I have been making jewelry for about 4 years. And this is my first Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show! 

I pull inspiration from everywhere, like stuff I see in stores, color schemes, or just looking at a pile of beads waiting for them to just come together.
My best friend Airin started making jewelry first and she got my interested and showed me the basics. That’s how I got into the hobby.

After Airin showed me how to get started it just took off from there. I really enjoy it and I think that makes a big difference when you really like what you're doing.

I usually buy beads I like or I find interesting. From there, I just start putting combinations together until I find one I like. Or I find stuff specifically for things I have in mind.
Eventually, I’d love to be doing this full time so I could quit my job. I enjoy making jewelry and other crafts way more than what I do now.
The message behind my work is that you don’t need a lot of money to own amazing one of a kind jewelry. Also, buying from me or other crafters gives you the opportunity to support regular people and own some amazing things that no one else can find in stores. 

Meet Angela Pennock from Marang Studios… 
My name is Angela Pennock and I am the creator and designer behind Marang Studios. I create eco friendly fashion accessories, jewelry and home decor mostly from old t-shirts and reclaimed fabrics and materials. Since college, I have been using materials that are headed to the trash or dump. I began using magazines to make elaborate paper collages and have always worked with fabrics on the side. It's such a thrill to know where the materials have started, as old t-shirts, and to see what you can make with them! The shirts are fun and versatile and the colors and patterns are endless!

Marang Studios has also been a part of the Etsy community since 2007, but art has always been a huge part of my life. This will be my 3rd Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show!
I search high and low for inspiration and will find ideas in the strangest places. I will see ideas in stores, magazines, online or even in nature. There is inspiration everywhere if you just take the time to look.
Art and creating have always been a huge part of my life. My mother and both Grandmother's are quilters and seamstresses, and my Grandfather was a woodworker. It was natural to me to follow in their footsteps. I attended the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, MI and have my Bachelors in Fine Art.

I started by own business because I wanted to have an outlet for my creations. I found that Etsy was a great place to start, and began with it in 2007 as a way to make a little extra money and to be a part of a creative community.

I work pretty intuitively with many of my creations, letting the pieces fall together. I don't typically work from patterns as it creates redundancy and I love that each piece I create is unique and one of a kind.
The thing that I enjoy most about creating handmade unique items is that I love that a person can find that one special piece and they know that they will have the only one like it. Everyone is unique and you should have unique accessories that express your individual style.

I think the biggest message behind my work is that even something discarded, or about to be, still can serve another purpose if you just put a little thought into it. We throw away so much usable material it is astonishing. I am just trying to do my part in being eco friendly and pass that on to my customers. I also believe a fun unique accessory can tell a lot about a person, show a side that some may not see. My pieces are a bright, fun and unique way to show off your own creativity and unique fashion style.

Email marangstudios@gmail.com



2013 Columbus February Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Saturday, February 16th 2013, 11:00am-5:00pm
St. Agatha's Parish Hall
1860 Northam Rd
Columbus, OH 43221
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:


No comments:

Post a Comment