Thursday, June 28, 2012

Capturing Beauty Through the Use or Inspiration of Nature!


Meet Angela Pennock from Marang Studios...
My name is Angela Pennock and I am the creator and designer behind Marang Studios. I create eco friendly fashion accessories, jewelry and home decor mostly from old t-shirts and reclaimed fabrics. I love to garden and be outside as much as possible. I enjoy crocheting, painting and anything that keeps my hands busy.
 
Art and creating have always been a huge part of my life. My mother and both Grandmother's are quilters and seamstresses, and my Grandfather was a woodworker. It was natural to me to follow in their footsteps. I attended the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, MI and have my Bachelors in Fine Art.
I began creating flowers 5 years ago and have loved every minute of it. I have been creating all my life in one way or another. My large flower necklaces are my favorite item that I create! They are so much fun and can really show off your personality.
How I got into my hobby... I began using magazines to make elaborate paper collages and have always worked with fabrics on the side. I began making the flowers and wanted a material that was fun and readily available. The t-shirts are fun and versatile and the colors are endless! It's such a thrill to know where the materials had started, as old t-shirts, and to see what you can make with them! 

I got into selling my work when a friend  told me about Etsy and that she thought it would be a good place to showcase my creations. It's been a wonderful outlet and space to show my pieces.
I work pretty intuitively. I usually begin with a selection of colors and see what comes out of it in the end. It seems more like playing than it is work a lot of the time!
 
Giving new life to old and forgotten materials is always fun. Sometimes you don't know how it's going to turn out and it's fun to see the outcome. And then having someone else enjoy your creation just makes it even better! The message behind my work is that even though something may be old and can't be used as it is, there is still a whole other life in there.
 
You can view more of my work at:

Meet Amy Hart from Aim E Smith...
I was born in Troy, Oh in March of 1973. I am the youngest of five. I studied art at Bowling Green State University (BGSU) from 1991-1998 and have a BFA with a specialization in drawing and printmaking. I am a mother of 2 boys; Landin an amateur skateboarder age 9, and Christopher, an amateur artist. I have been married for 12 years to a man I met at the end of my studies at BGSU. I have been doing my art for five years straight!

I am also a stay at home Mom. I love to hike in the woods at our family cabin in Virginia on our vacations there in the summer. I volunteer at my boy’s elementary school two times a week in the school library.
I get my creativity from many places. First and foremost, I get it from my parents, its in my blood. My mother was very creative in sewing, crafts gardening, cooking, baking, keeping home, etc. My father was a carpenter all his life which he got from his father. Both of them and one of my uncles built the home I grew up in. I get my creativity from anything around me at anytime. I also get it from my love for the renaissance period, for my love of Italy, and all the churches there and here with beautiful stained glass.

I got into the craft of making stained glass due to the summer of 1997 when I spent a semester studying art in Florence, Italy with a program called Studio Art Centers International (SACI) through BGSU. I fell in love with the stained glass there. That fall semester of 1997 I took a stained glass class at BGSU and loved it! I knew that someday I would create stained glass art and open my own shop. In 2007, I got a business opportunity to create a custom piece for a retirement gift for the director of the Columbus Montessori Education Center. From there, my dream of becoming a stained glass artisan began.
My creative process is that I first look at everything around me. I then come up with an inspiring idea from something I have recently seen. Then, I try to work that idea into workable shapes to cut out. After that, I look at the glass I own or look online for pieces as well that may work. Then, I make a pattern to use as a guide to cut out pieces. 
Through my work, I am trying to spread the joy of light through colorful glass with artistic creations. I don’t know if I necessarily have a true message behind my work, but I do know that I have not yet heard someone dislike stained glass…it’s universal! It can effect many people for many generations to come and that puts a smile on my face.

Check out these featured vendors at the 2012 Columbus Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show. This eclectic show will feature over 125 of the area's most talented artisans and crafters. A portion of the show's proceeds will be donated to Columbus Ohio's Local Matters, a non-profit that teaches kids and families about healthy Ohio-grown foods, provides access to wholesome foods in local area communities, and advocates for fair food policies.

2012 Columbus Summer Avant-Garde Art & Craft Show
Sunday, August 19, 2012, 1:30pm-6:30pm
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral
555 N. High St 
Columbus, OH 43215
For more information, contact Becki Cooper, Event Coordinator at info@avantgardeshows.com
Visit us on:


1

No comments:

Post a Comment